PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Tool Co. #035, a before & after...

steven c newman
09-21-2016, 7:45 PM
As in this ugly duckling..
Sole was not flat, iron was in need of a lot of work, frame and other metal parts were start to turn an ugly orange...

Flattened the sole..
Before, the straight edge would touch the mouth opening, and a bit of the way behind it.
Ironworks were wire wheeled of rust, and loose paint. Rattle can of Rustoleum Black for a few coats..
Set these aside to dry....screws and a single bolt were cleaned up, the brass wheel shined up. Time for the iron..
Took awhile, back is flat, chipbreaker ( loaner) match to it. Started out with a 25 degree bevel...had to adjust to about 28 degrees...
And, this is a tapered iron, too. Put everything back together..
then the chore of setting things. The loaner chipbreaker is a Stanley......slot for the depth adjuster is wrong. Hammer taps to set both...
It will do, for rougher work. Need to find the correct chipbreaker some day. There IS a fresh coat of BLO/Varnish mix applied, and needing a rub down. Plane was part of a $1 Road Trip. Merengo,OH...two planes for a dollar. meh.

steven c newman
09-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Seems I also did an earlier one of these..
It might have been a bit older, as the Japanning on it was a Brown colour. Have since shipped the Brown sides out, which leaves the Black sides. And, yes, underneath the ironworks, the OEM Black Japanning was still there.
Not sure who copied who....Stanley as their #35, or Ohio Tool Co. as their #035....

The one I rehabbed today has an emblem on the side, looks a lot like the "Globe" logo Ohio Tool Co. used. There are also three letters under that logo... O. T. C. Have been trying to highlight it a bit more, so the camera will pick it up...

steven c newman
09-22-2016, 3:33 PM
Sooo, I guess the search is on for an Ohio Tool Co. Chipbreaker. About 2" wide or so....with the notch set up for one of these wood bodied type of planes. Then I can return the Bailey one to a Stanley made plane. Maybe I could find a Stanley #35 out there?

Bill Houghton
09-22-2016, 5:11 PM
I have the Stanley version of one of those. They're darned pretty planes! I went to a charity auction once, and an artist had done a photorealistic painting of one; I felt smug that I didn't need a painting, because I had the real thing.

Any chance you could cut a new slot with a Dremel?

steven c newman
09-22-2016, 7:11 PM
Might be able to.....