PDA

View Full Version : Building a giant spider web for Halloween: Attaching rope without knots

Roger Feeley
09-21-2016, 1:12 PM
I'm thinking about using 3/16" rope from HD. The web would be about 24' x 30' which means a lot of points of attachment and I don't want to spend a lot of time tying knots.

I want some sort of compressible clip that I can use to attach two ropes at right angles. My dad used to use hog rings for stuff but I can't remember if they can be compressed enough to hold. I see on the internet that I can get small (meaning 3/8") hog rings.

Advice?

Ted Calver
09-21-2016, 1:41 PM
I'm guessing you want to reuse this, so hog rings should work. I use stainless steel hog rings in the garden to attach fencing, deer netting etc. You just have to match the rings with the rope to ensure a tight fit. I've seen zip ties used also.

Roger Feeley
09-21-2016, 2:03 PM
I see that I can get 3/8" hog rings from amazon.

We have this big house with tall front columns that's just asking for a spider web. I set up some pulleys a long time ago to fly 4th of july bunting. I see no reason why I can't fly a web. I was driving past a party supply today and saw an inflatable spider which is what gave me the idea.

Garth Almgren
09-21-2016, 2:59 PM
If it's twist rope, it'd be really easy to open up the twist and thread another piece of rope through with a fid. Braided rope is a little harder but with a good fid it could be done the same way. For decorative purposes, it'd be plenty strong.

Paul F Franklin
09-21-2016, 8:55 PM
Get yourself to harbor freight and buy 4 or more of the cheap cargo nets (the kind made to hold odd loads down in a pickup bed), and tie them together. They won't cost you much more than the rope and most of the work is done.....

Dan Hunkele
09-22-2016, 8:31 AM
Twist ties and nip off the ends.

Mike Circo
09-22-2016, 9:02 AM
Twist ties and nip off the ends.

That or Zip-Ties. Then a dab of hotmelt glue so they don't slide.

I did that years ago on nylon twine and re-used it for a decade.

Myk Rian
09-22-2016, 4:45 PM
Just use the hot-melt glue.