PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this

Bill Jobe
09-21-2016, 5:08 AM
Could someone id this wood for me please.

Brian Tymchak
09-21-2016, 8:39 AM
My guess is white oak.

Bill Jobe
09-21-2016, 9:22 AM
It seems strange to me that there is grain running several directions, yet the section of the log I cut it from showed no indication there were limbs near it. Just a straight smooth section about 12-15" in diameter. It was already dryed and cracked but I think I can still get 4 small bowls iut of it.

Thanks for responding, Brian. Bill

brian zawatsky
09-21-2016, 11:33 AM
White oak with nice ray fleck. That's what makes it appear as though the grain is going in different directions. It's actually straight.

Mark Greenbaum
09-21-2016, 1:27 PM
I agree, White Oak, the white lines are the white oak medullary rays.

Bill Jobe
09-21-2016, 7:39 PM
White oak with nice ray fleck. That's what makes it appear as though the grain is going in different directions. It's actually straight.

I knew there was something odd about it. So last night I took a flash pic of it and what was revealed was incredible.

But far more incredible in my opinion of this shot of some osage orange that is actually as smooth as glass. I polished it down to 2000, wiped it with a damp clothe, then the 2000 grit again. Just to make sure it was as smooth as I could get it I sanded it with a paper sack.
Here's the results shot with flash:

Brian Tymchak
09-22-2016, 8:21 AM
Awesome finish on that oak bowl BTW!

John K Jordan
09-22-2016, 9:13 AM
...this shot of some osage orange...

What section is this surface through the wood? (is this flat surface aligned in the tree, radial, transverse, tangential? at some angle?)

https://is.mendelu.cz/eknihovna/opory/download.pl?objekt=18218

JKJ

Bill Jobe
09-22-2016, 10:58 AM
I began with a short lenght of straight log that was cut traverse as seen in your first image. Then, since it was cracked I used a hatchet to spit 4 pieces in the image referred to as radial. From that I mounted the piece on a faceplate and turned the bowl in from the outer surface.

While I very much appreciate the compliment on the finish on the bowl, Brian, I thought I was looking at several hours of hand sanding to get the finish I wanted....and have spent a lot of hand sanding since my first post.

Bill

Bill Jobe
09-29-2016, 2:40 AM
Here's a closeup that has been enhanced a bit.

Jim Underwood
09-29-2016, 11:01 AM
I'd have to say white oak as well. This is the classic white oak ray fleck pattern on the end grain that you're seeing. The medullary rays are what help tie the longitudinal cells together. You can see the flecks on the side grain as well, if it's quarter sawn.