PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR-XP lathe?

Lars Stole
09-30-2005, 2:11 PM
I have heard that Teknatool will be releasing a new version of their DVR 3000 lathe sometime this fall. The only mention that I could find via Google was from Sorby's website which states it will be introduced by Sorby at a woodshow in mid October:

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/bulletin_board.htm

I was planning to buy the DVR 3000 at Woodcraft, but now I wonder if waiting for the DVR XP is worthwhile. How does it compare to the DVR 3000?

Any news?

Lars

Lars Stole
09-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Found the answer to my own question -- eventually. Seems like the real difference is in weight of the base and the color of paint.

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Lathe_DVR.html

Carole Valentine
10-01-2005, 12:31 AM
It is a 2 hp standard. And with that base, you will have to block it up even higher to be able to clean out the shavings! One thing they really need to do is modify the toolrest. I got a 1" post for my 9" modular toolrest ( which will do for now) and the Nova one is sitting on the shelf. As soon as I can afford it I am ordering another toolrest. Don't know which one yet. The current DVR needs a stand with a LOT of weight.

Chris Barton
10-01-2005, 8:30 AM
My guess is that it would be similar to the situation I went through early this summer. I was about to order a PM3520a and started hearing the rummors about the PM3520b about to come out. I contacted the company and they said "not any time soon". 2 months after I bought mine the "B" model showed up at the Vegas convention. I have looked at the pictures and since the new model is still not available, I am glad I bought my model "a". I am turning and having fun intsead of waiting...

Brian McInturff
10-01-2005, 8:39 AM
So I take it the Poolewood and the DVR are pretty much the same design by looking at their catalog. Looking at the Poolewood Polaris I see they show the head being swiveled 45 degrees for outboard turning. Makes me wonder about the stability since the weight and turning is perpendicular to the weight of the machine. Is the base that heavy or do you build a sand carcass at the bottom of the base to add weight. It say's 38"+ for capacity on outboard turning, that's a lot of weight. Perhaps Bill G. will chime in since he owns a Poolewood. Brian

John Shuk
10-01-2005, 9:59 AM
A frind has a Poolewood euro 300 (I think). There is no comparison at all. The Nova is nice but it ain't a Poolewood. It also doesn't carry the pricetag of a Poolewood either. I can say that I would see no real issue with stability on the Poolewood unless you were turning a diesal engine on a faceplate!

Lars Stole
10-01-2005, 12:56 PM
It is a 2 hp standard. And with that base, you will have to block it up even higher to be able to clean out the shavings! One thing they really need to do is modify the toolrest. I got a 1" post for my 9" modular toolrest ( which will do for now) and the Nova one is sitting on the shelf. As soon as I can afford it I am ordering another toolrest. Don't know which one yet. The current DVR needs a stand with a LOT of weight.

Carol,

My understanding is that the existing DVR will put out 2HP if you run it with 220V rather than 110v (which yields 1.75HP). This doesn't make any sense for an AC motor, but maybe it does for DVR technology. Can you make the switch to 220v, or is 110v a choice that is irreversibly made at the factory for the US-destined machines? I wonder if the new DVR-XP is advertised with 2HP on Poolewood's website because it comes from the factory using 220V when purchased in the UK.