PDA

View Full Version : Noticed today Boss has changed machines...

Keith Downing
09-20-2016, 3:05 PM
Bought my 1630 from them back towards the beginning of the year (top image below is the model I have). I believe, though I am not positive, it is a Gweike machine. The paint job and control panel and placement match exactly on the one machine I've seen. The pass through panels didn't though.

I'd love to know if anyone can positively confirm the machine's original manufacturer.

Fast forward to today. I checked their website, and the machines look completely different. Emailed them to get an explanation and was told that they had just rolled out their 5th generation of machines. Which include some cosmetic changes and mechanical changes including the laser head and limit switch setup. No indication of whether or not they changed manufacturers.

Anyone know who produces that machine (in the bottom picture)?

Not making any assumptions one way or the other about the "new" machines. Just thought it was curious they changed them all so quickly.

Doug Fisher
09-20-2016, 6:32 PM
FWIW, those new color schemes have been up there at least since around late July which is about the time I first started looking at their lasers.

Dave Sheldrake
09-20-2016, 8:19 PM
same supplier...the supplier just updated their range as well

Keith Downing
09-20-2016, 8:41 PM
same supplier...the supplier just updated their range as well

Do you know who it is Dave? Been curious for awhile.

Dave Sheldrake
09-21-2016, 6:11 AM
From memory Weike unless things have changed recently

Bert Kemp
09-21-2016, 10:55 AM
I emailed Boss asked them who MFG the machines they sell and what the tube lengths were, they wouldn't tell me, just said they use different suppliers and tube length was different for each. LOL I really hate all the deception.like when I emailed fsl and they told me they didn't know how long their tubes were. Seriously :p

Keith Winter
09-21-2016, 12:42 PM
I emailed Boss asked them who MFG the machines they sell and what the tube lengths were, they wouldn't tell me, just said they use different suppliers and tube length was different for each. LOL I really hate all the deception.like when I emailed fsl and they told me they didn't know how long their tubes were. Seriously :p

I think not telling you the manufacturer is pretty common not deceptive. They don't want you skipping them and buying direct , pretty common.

Keith I think they may be Weike as well. I think I remember seeing a Weike announcement of that new cabinet last year but I'm not 100 percent certain.

Bert Kemp
09-21-2016, 2:31 PM
Well it might be common practice but when I'm paying out 6 or 7 k I want to know who made my machine, did Shenhui or weki make it or or Jon doe down the street in his garage. When I ask a direct question from someone who wants my money I expect a direct answer. When they tell me they get their machines from many different suppliers and they don't know the length of the tubes in their machines thats BS. and they don't get my money.

I think not telling you the manufacturer is pretty common not deceptive. They don't want you skipping them and buying direct , pretty common.

Keith I think they may be Weike as well. I think I remember seeing a Weike announcement of that new cabinet last year but I'm not 100 percent certain.

David Somers
09-21-2016, 3:32 PM
Here here Bert. Since the tube is the core of the machine and expensive to replace, I at least want to know the specs on it for replacement purposes and to be able to monitor performance if I choose. You are certainly free not to tell me. And I am quite free not to buy from you.

Keith Downing
09-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Well it might be common practice but when I'm paying out 6 or 7 k I want to know who made my machine, did Shenhui or weki make it or or Jon doe down the street in his garage. When I ask a direct question from someone who wants my money I expect a direct answer. When they tell me they get their machines from many different suppliers and they don't know the length of the tubes in their machines thats BS. and they don't get my money.

I see both sides of it I guess.

I mean, I do want to know, but I also understand them not stating it publicly. Technically, they are branding all their lasers after the upgrades they make as Boss. It's really not that different than what a lot of the big lighting companies do. They buy direct from chinese factories that build to their specifications, and then they just throw their name on them. They wouldn't put the Chinese company's name on their lights (or computer, or patio furniture, etc etc).

So, as long as they're selling a quality, tested product to the end user, I guess I think it's there prerogative.

Keith Downing
09-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Here here Bert. Since the tube is the core of the machine and expensive to replace, I at least want to know the specs on it for replacement purposes and to be able to monitor performance if I choose. You are certainly free not to tell me. And I am quite free not to buy from you.

The tube does still have the manufacturer's label on it. So I'm surprised they wouldn't tell you that. Mine is SPT by the way.