PDA

View Full Version : Made anything lately?

Christopher Charles
09-20-2016, 2:55 PM
Build threads are my favorite. Don't have much to offer, though did manage to cobble together a saw till over the summer out of styrofoam white wood leftovers.

Mock up and assembly:

And on the wall.

Added a simple plywood box below for planes and it now holds a nice bit; all but the jointer and jack:

Best,
Chris

Brian Holcombe
09-20-2016, 3:56 PM
Nice work!

Pat Barry
09-20-2016, 6:53 PM
You've done a great job with styrofoam. Looks very good!

Christopher Charles
09-20-2016, 8:14 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Hopefully others will be inspired to share recent small projects :)

Kevin Womer
09-20-2016, 8:29 PM
Great job!

Mike Allen1010
09-21-2016, 2:18 PM
Very nice Chris!

Build threads are also my favorite and I appreciate you taking the time to post some pictures of your Saw till. Shop furniture is always a fun project – a chance to do something fun, perhaps try something new without having to sweat the details too much.

As you slide down the slippery hand tool slope continues, I wouldn't be surprised if you are thinking about building another one in the not-too-distant future! I'm sure your self-discipline is better than mine, but I think all Neanders are helpless against the universal law that the number of hand tools always expands to exceed available storage:). That's coming from someone who has "built the last saw till I'll ever need", three different times.

Cheers, Mike

Christopher Charles
09-22-2016, 1:22 AM
Thanks Mike--looks good as long as one doesn't look too close. Working with the cheap pine made me hungry to get back to some decent wood, but was also a good exercise after a spell out of the shop.

I need to get the panel saws sharpened before the herd can start to grow. That said, I did just have to make a new chisel rack, so you have likely accurately predicted the future...as I've said to my wife about my wood collection: "honey, I don't have a wood problem, I merely have a storage problem..."