PDA

View Full Version : Barber Shop...Do You Use a Real Barber?

Rich Riddle
09-20-2016, 2:23 PM
I am still old school and only go to someone with a "barber" certificate which is different than a beautician where I live. Recently, I have started "scheduling" appointments so I don't wait in line. I miss the good old days in military barber shops when it was first come, first served.... How many of you still use a real barber? Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?

Bruce Page
09-20-2016, 2:30 PM
I've been going to the same old school barber in the same old school barber shop for 20+ years. Berto charges me $12.50 and hasn't raised his price in ten years. He told me he was going to retire next year. :(

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2016, 2:35 PM
I went to the same barber for over 20 years. He retired. I found a new one. He's about to retire having recently sold his shop to a young female barber. He is now cutting hair only on Monday. She has cut my hair twice. I wondered how business would go after she bought the shop. It's actually increased significantly. But, she and her recently hired female assistant are both licensed barbers.

Lee Schierer
09-20-2016, 2:41 PM
In the military hair cuts were easy, just cut it all short :eek: While I was in the reserves, I had drill once a month so I go a haircut once a month. Now that I am retired it is usually longer between haircuts. I refuse to go to the fashion hair cutting places where you never know what sort of a haircut you will end up with. I went to the same barber for 20 years before he retired and sold the business. I didn't care for how the new hair cutters did their work so I changed to a different barber shop where there are three real barbers and deal with first come first served, but I never have to wait very long.

Stan Calow
09-20-2016, 2:45 PM
I like to use the regular female barber in the neighborhood. I get the neighborhood gossip that way. Not much to cut, so it doesn't take much effort.

Larry Browning
09-20-2016, 3:02 PM
I stopped paying for a haircut about 10 years ago. I invested in a $30 Wahl hair clipper kit and SWMBO cuts my hair. We spent an extra $10 on a barber cape to replace the cheap plastic one that came with the kit. 2 hair cuts paid for the investment. She says she kinda enjoys cutting my hair and we have saved hundreds of dollars over the years. It doesn't cut into my Saturday either. Two years ago she dropped the clippers and broke the housing. I glued it back together. It worked fine until a few months ago when it got really noisy and wouldn't cut very well so we bought a new clipper. Got the $50 deluxe model this time, it is quieter and seems to cut better.

Rich Riddle
09-20-2016, 3:48 PM
Larry,

Do you let her shave around your neck with a straight razor as well?

mark r johnson
09-20-2016, 3:50 PM
Have not been to a regular barber for 20-30 years. It got to the point I had to drive 15 miles to find one. I did find a husbond and wife team and used them for those 20 years. I moved 3 years ago and nothing was even close to where I lived except chains like Fantastic Sam, Great Clips, etc. After going through every clip joint in the area I settled on Great Clips. I've had good like with them where I leave and in AZ where we spend the winter.

I do have to say my wife has not problem finding a beautician. They charge her $65 and I get mine for $13 at Great Clips. I think I know why I can't find a barber.

Ralph Boumenot
09-20-2016, 4:02 PM
I go to the VA barbershop to get my haircut. Been out of the military for over 20 years and I still get it cut once a month, high and tight. Sue runs the shop there and she is a Master Barber. How many barbers will give you a shave? Sue does.

Rich Riddle
09-20-2016, 4:04 PM
Mark,

My dad lives in Overland Park. I believe he uses a barber in "Old Overland Park" off of 79/80 and Metcalf just to the west.

Larry Browning
09-20-2016, 4:39 PM
Larry,

Do you let her shave around your neck with a straight razor as well?

She uses a safety razor. I don't trust her with a straight razor around my neck area!

Jim Becker
09-20-2016, 4:45 PM
I've been cutting my own for years now...there are almost no "real barbers" left these days. When I had my "long lochs" as you call them...I just didn't cut it...and the pony tail was a 'secret weapon' in technical sales. :D Now, it's about 1/8" long and a pony tail is no longer possible.

David Helm
09-20-2016, 4:46 PM
I'v been going to the same Vietnamese woman for 30 years. When I started I asked her if she knew how to trim beards. She said yes and did a good job. She later told me that mine was the first beard she ever trimmed. These days I only get my hair cut when I need a beard trim. She still only charges $18 for the works.

Kurt Kintner
09-20-2016, 6:36 PM
My wife has cut my hair for 40 years.... Another good use for my shop....
On nice days she cuts it outside .....
The last barber I went to charged $2 ....

Mike Henderson
09-20-2016, 6:40 PM
I go to a "beauty salon" where a Vietnamese woman cuts my hair - and does a good job. Charges me $12 and I tip her $2.

But for most of my life, my wife cut my hair (she passed away a while back).

Mike

Brett Luna
09-20-2016, 7:37 PM
I stopped paying for a haircut about 10 years ago.

It's been 15 years since I paid for one...I married my stylist. Not that I'm all that stylish. I've been retired (MSgt, USAF) for 17-plus years and while I let it get a little wild for a while, I long ago went back to keeping it short. A fresh cut has me within regs...hair-wise, anyway...the 'stache and goat are another matter. At at least I don't have to worry about letting it go a little long.

Kevin Womer
09-20-2016, 8:09 PM
I go to a real barber, but he does take appointments which are helpful to me.

Jason Roehl
09-21-2016, 6:01 AM
I used to only go to a real barber. I let a couple women try, but they just didn't know how to do a traditional guy's haircut or a flat-top (that one time was real bad). But, 20+ years ago, I was tired of carrying a ball cap with me to cover the helmet head I was getting from my motorcycle helmet, so I used a beard trimmer (!) and buzzed it all off. Used that until it broke, then went through probably 2 more $30 clipper sets until I had my wife ask a hairdresser friend of hers what brand of clippers to get. $45 or so got me a set that has now lasted probably 15 years or more. The key is to oil them before each use and clean them off afterwards. I haven't ridden a motorcycle regularly in a long time, but kept the haircut--don't have to deal with all the cowlicks that way.

Mike Null
09-21-2016, 7:08 AM
Years ago I used to cut my own but now, for the last 15 years or so, I go to a real barber shop. My favorite barber passed away a few years ago and I changed shops. No appointments, $15 plus a $2 tip. High and tight cause I can't stand shaggy and once a month. Most of the guys who come in there are retired.

Rod Sheridan
09-21-2016, 8:02 AM
I am still old school and only go to someone with a "barber" certificate which is different than a beautician where I live. Recently, I have started "scheduling" appointments so I don't wait in line. I miss the good old days in military barber shops when it was first come, first served.... How many of you still use a real barber? Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?

LOL, my hair might actually be shorter than yours for a change at this particular point in time.

I use a real barber, who's past retirement age and will soon be passing the shop onto a "stylist". I have been going to Sam since 1981, I may have to let my hair grow when he retires:D

Sam's is a first come, first served place, the TV always has soccer on (Sam is Maltese so real football (soccer) is his life).

I get a haircut and a shave when I go in, there's nothing like a shave with hot towels, warm soap and a straight razor. Recently Sam has switched to a straight razor with disposable blades due to new regulations in Ontario, the new razor doesn't seem to cut as well as the old style.

At home I use a double edge safety razor and hot soap from a mug, works so much better than the can of foam and the newest 200 blade plastic razor, not to mention that 100 double edge blades is around $30.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Rich, I will be in Virginia October 17 through 20.

Rod Sheridan
09-21-2016, 8:06 AM
Jason, you were just ahead of the trend with helmet hair.

I have a sticker on my bike that says "Hair by Helmet", the spelling's wrong for a German bike, however it's factual............Rod.

Rich Riddle
09-21-2016, 8:51 AM
Jason, you were just ahead of the trend with helmet hair.

I have a sticker on my bike that says "Hair by Helmet", the spelling's wrong for a German bike, however it's factual............Rod.
Rod, someone (I don't remember who) said, "Or do you sport long lochs of hair like Rod Sheridan?" about you.

Michael L. Martin
09-21-2016, 9:50 AM
For the past three years I've used a real barber shop. Up until then I thought I "had to" use the typical mall shops/salons because they were the most obvious in this metro area. Then I discovered this unassuming little shop less than ten minutes from home. It's been there all these years and didn't even realize it was there. With my age and genetics, it doesn't take long to cut what I have left. In and out in twenty minutes or less.

James Gunning
09-21-2016, 3:09 PM
I went to the same shop for over 20 years. After retirement and mostly bald, I just couldn't see any reason to pay $15-20 dollars each month. I did exactly what Larry did after I retired. We bought a Wahl clipper set and never looked back. Paid for itself in two months.

Garth Almgren
09-21-2016, 3:15 PM
When I was a teen I'd walk down to Mickey's Hometown Barbershop (http://mickeyshometownbarbershop.com/) but I started using the big chains because they are much quicker and a little cheaper (important when you're a teen with limited income). I'm actually glad to see that Mickey is still in business over 20 years later. I also went to high school with his son and daughter.

My current go-to is Great Clips - I've never gotten a bad haircut from them no matter which location I visit.

Mike Null
09-21-2016, 4:58 PM
I forgot to mention that when I was a kid back in Ohio I'd go to the barber shop with my grandpa. He went to this place he called Staupy's (actually Staup) and we would get our hair cut for 50 cents. This was a small one chair shop in a room off the side of the barber's house. We couldn't afford the uptown shop which charged $2. I think I was 10 or 11 at the time and I'll be 80 this year. That was in a small town just outside the gates of Wright Patterson AFB.

Dave Anderson NH
09-21-2016, 5:07 PM
After one or two "experiences" at a unisex salon 30 years ago I have gone to a real barber. I've used the same shop now for 27 years though the ownership has changed. The current owner is only about 35 so he's likely to be around for a while. He does a nice short cut that doesn't make me looks like I've been scalped though as a former Marine he himself wears a beard with his high and tight.

Robert Payne
09-21-2016, 6:33 PM
I forgot to mention that when I was a kid back in Ohio I'd go to the barber shop with my grandpa. He went to this place he called Staupy's (actually Staup) and we would get our hair cut for 50 cents. This was a small one chair shop in a room off the side of the barber's house...

Back in the late 40's, my brother and I would walk 3/4 mile to a small village (Cheshire, NY) to get our hair cut and then use the left over money to get candy or gum at the C.P. Viola's general store across the street from the old barbershop. Mom gave us 50 cents (which my year and a half older brother carried) and we paid the barber 40 cents for both of us, leaving us 10 cents to splurge. The barber must have been in his eighties and the building equally old -- everyone went into an uproar when he raised his rates to a quarter. I still go to a regular barber (always have) and pay $12 plus tip for exactly what I want.

Rich Riddle
09-21-2016, 6:48 PM
Does anyone still wear a flat top? My dad wore one for years.

Dave Lehnert
09-21-2016, 8:34 PM
Years ago I use to go to a barber shop owned by a retired state trooper. $5 and you got the standard state trooper haircut.
Today I use a barber shop that has been in town for years. The new guy has been there for around 25 years.

william watts
09-22-2016, 2:03 AM
For 22 years I went to the same barber. His shop was in the same shopping center as my place of business, he would phone me when he had an opening and I would walk over, no waiting, no appointment, good hair cut. Then he retired and his son took over he said he would call, but seldom remembered, and not always a good cut. I drifted from barber to barber looking for a decent cut, and I am not fussy. Finally found a genuine barber, he has taught at barber school does great job, and makes a big production of it. He tells why he's making a cut or combing a certain direction. Way more than I expected. My hair cut was so good my wife decided to give him a try. She liked him very much. Now we go together, her cut and mine $40.00 that's what hers alone used to cost.

Rick Potter
09-22-2016, 3:24 AM
No haircut can improve my looks, but for the record.....mom cut my hair for the first 21 years, and my wife for the next 52 years, so far.

Allan Speers
09-22-2016, 4:37 AM
I just shave it all off with my Bosch oscillating tool.

Jason Roehl
09-22-2016, 5:45 AM
Does anyone still wear a flat top? My dad wore one for years.

My father does--I think he went back to it about 15 years ago around the time he retired.

Mike Null
09-22-2016, 6:49 AM
Even in the old timer's shop that I patronize a lot of the guys still go for a flat top. I hate to see it because it takes the barbers twice the time.

Rod Sheridan
09-22-2016, 8:50 AM
I've been cutting my own for years now...there are almost no "real barbers" left these days. When I had my "long lochs" as you call them...I just didn't cut it...and the pony tail was a 'secret weapon' in technical sales. :D Now, it's about 1/8" long and a pony tail is no longer possible.

Jim, I am deeply concerned about the proliferation of the trend of not going to a barber shop.

How are the problems of the world going to be solved if we geezers don't meet at the barber shop on a regular basis to discuss and solve them?

This may be worth bring to the UN so we can obtain a world solution to this imminent catastrophe................Regards, Rod.

Rich Riddle
09-22-2016, 9:32 AM
Jim, I am deeply concerned about the proliferation of the trend of not going to a barber shop.

How are the problems of the world going to be solved if we geezers don't meet at the barber shop on a regular basis to discuss and solve them?

This may be worth bring to the UN so we can obtain a world solution to this imminent catastrophe................Regards, Rod.Old geezers......and I thought we were youngsters?!

Jim Becker
09-22-2016, 10:26 AM

This may be worth bring to the UN so we can obtain a world solution to this imminent catastrophe................Regards, Rod.
ROFLOL...

While I do have one of those "zero" birthdays coming up, I'm hoping I'm not into "geezer-hood" yet! :D Seriously, I just couldn't see the sense in paying $20 a pop for something I could now do with a $50 clippers indefinitely (with occasional new blades purchased) since I went from long to the center of my back to almost nothing-really-short. As noted, very few "real barbers" are around. There was one up the road, but it finally closed after three proprietors failed to sustain enough business.

Rich Riddle
09-22-2016, 11:02 AM
I think it would be interesting to see a picture of Ken Fitzgerald or Bruce Page with long hair in their young days.

Gordon Eyre
09-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Like many of you I faithfully went to my small town barber for 15 years and then he retired. The gentleman that bought his business was not nearly as good and I have spent the last 5 years trying to break him in. He is doing pretty good but I still miss my old barber. I pay $10.00 and a $2.00 tip. I really hate changing barbers.

Brad Adams
09-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Man do I miss the barber I used to go to. He died of cancer five years ago. I went to him for 34 years. Haven't had as good a hair cut since. Beauticians just don't have the same knack as an old school barber.

Rod Sheridan
09-22-2016, 1:10 PM
Old geezers......and I thought we were youngsters?!

Had a trip to your optometrist lately?

We're only youngsters when compared to vampires.............Rod.

Bruce Page
09-22-2016, 1:28 PM
I think it would be interesting to see a picture of Ken Fitzgerald or Bruce Page with long hair in their young days.

LOL! I never had long hair as in pony tail long. My hair was always too thick & wavy. If I went too long between cuts I would end up looking like Ronald McDonald with brown hair. I still have a full head of hair but I can see a lot further into it today.

I'm pretty sure Ken looked like a hippie from the 60's.

bill kaminski
09-22-2016, 1:42 PM
Interesting thread. I still use licensed barber. I met my barber in the sixth grade, and when we graduated high school, he went to barber school. One year later he started cutting hair, including mine. He is still barbering, and I still go to him, except when Uncle Sam was doing it. It is now 52yrs, that he has been doing my hair. I will continue. bill

Erik Loza
09-22-2016, 2:00 PM
I went to a barber shop or Supercuts for most of my adult life but in the last year, been going to the gal who does my wife's hair. A real haircut by a real stylist. It is pricier but lets me have my hair a bit longer but still have it look good. I don't how to explain that but it's just a better haircut. My wife detests crew cuts, buzz cuts, etc. and says she likes my hair a little longer, so you know how that goes. My brother is a cop and has been rocking the high-and-tight for his entire adult life. I don't think I've ever seen him with hair longer than maybe a #2 clipper cut.

Erik

Peter Kelly
09-22-2016, 2:54 PM
https://youtu.be/je1C95_8q8s?t=40s

Rich Engelhardt
09-22-2016, 3:59 PM
Timely thread....I just got shorn :D.

Went to Great Clips - gave them my phone number & a plastic bag. Told them to lop off the ponytail & stick it in the bag so I could donate it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths (http://pantene.com/en-us/experience-main-section2/beautiful-lengths).
(Pantene only requires hair be 8" long and they will accept a donation of gray hair.)

They chopped off the ponytail then buzz cut the rest so I could start all over again and grow another crop :D.

Went home and went nuts with the scissors on my beard and stash.....

I'll look like a beach ball with eyes for a couple of weeks before it all grows back. :D

Heck it's all for a good cause & the hair cut is free.....win/win all around.

Brett Luna
09-22-2016, 4:57 PM
Went to Great Clips [...]

My wife once worked there, briefly, when she was between jobs at locally-owned shops. It was a miserable experience for her. They actually enforced a policy that you couldn't chat with customers. Be polite, yes...but be quiet and be quick. I'll never give them my custom. Fortunately it was a short stint just to maintain some income while waiting for her new shop to open. She has a large and loyal client base who followed her from the previous shop to the new one. Many have been with her 15 years or more. She has customers with children who got their first haircut from her. She's given other customers their last...and a couple both. Some of those kids who sat in her chair for their first time came back for one more before leaving for college or getting married.

Erik Loza
09-22-2016, 6:08 PM
https://youtu.be/je1C95_8q8s?t=40s

Bwahahahaha....

Erik

Bruce Page
09-22-2016, 6:23 PM
Ron Swanson - Basketball coach (Pyramid of greatness)

"Fish meat is practically a vegetable".. I love that!

Charles Wiggins
09-22-2016, 6:32 PM
Here my barber (https://smile.amazon.com/Wahl-Color-Complete-Cutting-79300-400T/dp/B000JNQSIQ/).

Mel Fulks
09-22-2016, 7:13 PM
Just checked to see if this had been mentioned. A lady cousin has been cutting mine for years. She has studied with famous hair experts. After she cuts it I look like I have more hair! Even after washing hair falls into place. When hair is thinning a real expert on layering, and reading the natural "map" makes a big difference .

Jim Becker
09-23-2016, 10:22 AM
LOL! I never had long hair as in pony tail long. My hair was always too thick & wavy. If I went too long between cuts I would end up looking like Ronald McDonald with brown hair. I still have a full head of hair but I can see a lot further into it today.

I'm pretty sure Ken looked like a hippie from the 60's.

Well...HS senior...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Old%20Photos/SR-prom_zps60be592b.jpg

About age 50...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Old%20Photos/jb-hair_zpsd7de2714.jpg

Bruce Page
09-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Jim, it was very much like your HS pic, but without the bow tie. :)

Rich Riddle
09-23-2016, 1:40 PM
I am still waiting to see Ken's hippie pictures.

Jim Becker
09-23-2016, 8:51 PM
Jim, it was very much like your HS pic, but without the bow tie. :)

Yea, well it was a prom pic and that was the style at that point in ancient history. :)

Erik Loza
09-24-2016, 9:14 AM
Jim wins.

Erik

Al Launier
09-24-2016, 9:49 AM
I applaud those of you who cut your own hair, but how do you cut behind your head? Even if you used a mirror I think that would be very awkward. Do you hold a mirror in one hand while looking into the vanity mirror? Are some electric razors designed specifically for this? I would think you might be prone to "unsightly errors".

Jim Becker
09-24-2016, 10:00 AM
I applaud those of you who cut your own hair, but how do you cut behind your head? Even if you used a mirror I think that would be very awkward. Do you hold a mirror in one hand while looking into the vanity mirror? Are some electric razors designed specifically for this? I would think you might be prone to "unsightly errors".
By feel and a check with a hand mirror. Piece 'o cake...

Gary Cunningham
09-24-2016, 7:56 PM
I have used the same guy for about ten years. One chair, take seat and wait. Usually there is no line.

Basically shears me like a sheep, #2 clipper for sides, #3 for the top. Takes about five minutes.

$5.00 for the cut, $2.00 tip, which he never wants to take.

Gary Cunningham
09-24-2016, 7:58 PM
I just shave it all off with my Bosch oscillating tool.

Hardcore!!!!!!!

Jason Roehl
09-25-2016, 8:44 AM

Mine's a buzzcut--shortest possible cut my clippers can do, so it's all by feel, with a double-check after the post-cut shower. Even a slight miss is obvious by feel at that point.

Myk Rian
09-25-2016, 10:32 AM
My Wife and I use the same Man/Wife barbers. They do a great job, and are reasonably priced.

Rich Riddle
09-25-2016, 10:54 AM
Some of us don't have as much to worry about with our looks as you have. A few of us don't have much at all to worry about concerning our looks; we're past our prime for looks. I'm in that category.

Rich Riddle
10-01-2016, 6:58 PM
My wife switched to a different beauty salon and indicated her hair is lighter than normal. I might be arriving from Arnfest to a blonde wife.

Rick Potter
10-02-2016, 2:16 AM
My wife's hair is a lot 'lighter' than it was 52 years ago. I seem to be a lot more 'blond' than I used to be too.