PDA

View Full Version : casting blanks

Denny Davis
09-20-2016, 9:41 AM
Good morning . My question is, does anyone know a place to buy pictures of hunters camo so i can cast buy own? I have customers that would much prefer that
look instead of the original camo were used to. Maybe it can't be done, but got to ask.
Thanks and have a good day everyone.
Denny

John Keeton
09-20-2016, 9:52 AM
I would think you would need a license agreement with the camo company (Realtree, Mossy Oak, etc.) in order to sell products using their camo pattern. I suppose if one wasn't concerned about the legality, there are many ways to print a camo pattern from the internet.

david privett
09-20-2016, 10:21 AM
the neighbor across the street has a method of floating the pattern in a tub of water and slowly rotating the parts and then the part picks up the pattern on its surface . So there is a way to do it and since it is a resold there is no problem with patents.

Wes Ramsey
09-20-2016, 11:36 AM
the neighbor across the street has a method of floating the pattern in a tub of water and slowly rotating the parts and then the part picks up the pattern on its surface . So there is a way to do it and since it is a resold there is no problem with patents.

This is called water transfer or camo dipping. Consult the mighty google for 'water transfer film' and you'll find plenty of sources and patterns. Another, similar method I've seen is to spray various colors of spray paint on the surface of the water and dip the piece for a less-controlled camo/tie-dyed sort of pattern.

Marvin Hasenak
09-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Go to a fabric store, you can buy the camo cloth in most of the popular patterns. Cut pieces and glue to the tubes and cast with clear. If you want paper, I would check with party stores, my money would say that someone sells wrapping paper in the popular camo patterns.

John Keeton
09-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Your description of what you actually want to do is rather vague, but apparently you want to use a protected camo pattern in the manufacture of an item which you intend to sell to customers. I would, again, suggest to you that the licensing agreements used by camo companies are exclusively for the purpose of the intended consumer end use only. You may want to review this link - http://business.realtree.com/faq

I seriously doubt one is permitted to use a camo pattern to manufacture and sell a product without a license. While the companies do license fabric companies to produce patterned fabric, making garments from it for resale is an entirely different purpose. There are camo vinyl appliques available as well, to be applied by the end consumer for a particular purpose - to cover your vehicle, etc., but using that vinyl in a manufacturing process to produce a different camo item for resale is, again, not the same.

Try buying a bunch of Realtree fabric and using it to make and sell camo clothing and see how quickly you find out the consequences. These are big companies and they take seriously an infringement.

Perhaps you can make a bunch of pens (though you don't say what you are wanting it for) and never get noticed. On the other hand, if you do, I suspect you will find the cost to far exceed what you may derive from your sales.

Marvin Hasenak
09-20-2016, 4:12 PM
Search for "royalty free camouflage pattern photos", you should find something that will work, You may have to sign up and pay a fee for the original, but after that you can use as you want. Be sure to read the fine print of anything before you sign up.

Wes Ramsey
09-20-2016, 5:02 PM
Your description of what you actually want to do is rather vague, but apparently you want to use a protected camo pattern in the manufacture of an item which you intend to sell to customers. I would, again, suggest to you that the licensing agreements used by camo companies are exclusively for the purpose of the intended consumer end use only. You may want to review this link - http://business.realtree.com/faq

I seriously doubt one is permitted to use a camo pattern to manufacture and sell a product without a license. While the companies do license fabric companies to produce patterned fabric, making garments from it for resale is an entirely different purpose. There are camo vinyl appliques available as well, to be applied by the end consumer for a particular purpose - to cover your vehicle, etc., but using that vinyl in a manufacturing process to produce a different camo item for resale is, again, not the same.

Try buying a bunch of Realtree fabric and using it to make and sell camo clothing and see how quickly you find out the consequences. These are big companies and they take seriously an infringement.

Perhaps you can make a bunch of pens (though you don't say what you are wanting it for) and never get noticed. On the other hand, if you do, I suspect you will find the cost to far exceed what you may derive from your sales.

John,

I think you're right. A duck call here and there you could probably get away with, but advertising and mass marketing them would require buying the privilege from the company. I'd use an unlicensed camo pattern and avoid the extra cost and legal hassles myself.

John Keeton
09-20-2016, 7:22 PM
What about simply taking a photograph of a deep woods and tweaking it in Photoshop to create your own pattern? You would need to reduce it in scale to use on anything small, such as a pen or game call.

Grant Wilkinson
09-21-2016, 4:42 PM
Denny: Can you point to a pic of the camo pattern you are looking for? There are commercially made pen blanks in many different camo patterns. Maybe one of them will do for your customer. Look on penblanks.ca and search on camo to see some of what is already available.