PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing a Philco radio cabinet

Jeff Monson
09-20-2016, 9:30 AM
So I'm in the process of refinishing an old Philco 41-608 radio cabinet for a friend. I've sanded the majority of the cabinet to this point and have realized there are a few different types of wood involved in this cabinet. The majority is mahogany, but some of the curved and more detailed pieces appear to be pine or some other very soft wood. From what I can tell the original finish is a tinted varnish or shellac?? of some type. I'd love to find someone who has refinished a similar piece. I would like to keep it to a more natural color but, would like the color to be consistent. My worries is the softer woods are going to darken way more than the mahogany. Any input greatly appreciated. I have spray equipment so that is not a problem.

Mike Gresham
09-20-2016, 10:15 AM
You might try the antique radio group on Facebook. Many of the folks there are long time collectors and restorers. There used to be a newsgroup, but it is basically dead now.

Wayne Lomman
09-21-2016, 8:58 AM
Shellac will be a good finish. As you say, this could be the original coating. As far as colouring, you can stop the soft timbers going too dark by thinning the stain way down. You can apply more than one coat of stain to make it the exact colour you want. Also, sand the soft timbers much more finely than the mahogany. This will reduce penetration of the stain. Cheers