PDA

View Full Version : The bottom blade guide failed on my bandsaw

lowell holmes
09-20-2016, 6:51 AM
The saw is a Jet JWBS-14CS. There was a loud noise and the blade came loose. Upon examination, the bottom guide was loose and when I touched the assembly, parts fell.
I founds a coil spring on the floor. I haven't found the screw that holds it on. I will attempt to contact Carter today for assistance.

Have any of you experienced this. If so, what transpired?

Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
09-20-2016, 8:08 AM
Hi, since the blade came loose, I presume that you had a blade tensioner failure, supported by the sudden appearance of the coil spring.

Regards, Rod.

lowell holmes
09-20-2016, 8:45 AM
I think you are correct. The thread is 14 mm and a short trip to Lowes will get the replacement. I can't find the bolt in the shop floor, too much wood staked against the wall.:)

I bought a set of thread checkers about a year ago. It has been very handy to have.

Rich Riddle
09-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Thread checkers are indeed good to have. So are sweep magnets for shop floors. Harbor freight sells them cheap. They have found countless parts for me in the midst of sawdust. Now you need to determine the root cause of why it came apart.

lowell holmes
09-20-2016, 4:22 PM
I was adjusting the tension on the blade while the saw was running. I have done that many times, but I will not do it again. I set the blade tension by raising the top guide to the uppermost position, take tension off until the blade just begins to flutter. Then I tighten the blade until the flutter stops. That sets adequate tension on the blade for cutting. It also saves the tires . I just got careless.

I read about that procedure about 10 years ago. No mishap occurred until recently. I will continue to use the method.

lowell holmes
09-21-2016, 4:15 PM
I replaced bolts by checking the threads and buying them at Lowes.
The saw is back together and performing exactly like it should.:)
I was worried about unseen damage, but I guess there is none. The thread checkers I have enabled me to identify the bolt I need.