PDA

View Full Version : Small Disston Saw

John Grider
09-19-2016, 7:07 PM
Let's try this again. Has anyone ever seen a Disston saw like this?

Thanks,
John Grider

Jim Koepke
09-19-2016, 8:34 PM
There were tool kits for young people, mostly boys, by Buddy "L" with small saws.

Yours might be one of those that was repurposed.

jtk

Rich Riddle
09-19-2016, 9:01 PM
Is it my eyes, or does it have teeth on both sides?

steven c newman
09-19-2016, 9:34 PM
Called Combination saws. OP's seems to have been rehandled at some point. Usually rip on one edge, crosscut on the other, symetrical handled. One bolt, loosen the bolt to adjust the hang angle for either set of teeth. Most major sawmakers had one or two versions out. Some even had an adjustable "back" that would slide on the plate.

Brent Cutshall
09-20-2016, 6:26 AM
The handle on it is a D-12 or a D-112 handle but I don't know about the plate.

Pete Taran
09-20-2016, 11:40 AM
That is a franken saw to my eyes. Disston never put a D12 panel saw handle on a small saw like that. Additionally, they didn't have that large step at the top of the handle where it meets the blade. If you take the handle off, I'm sure you will find several sets of holes where the original handle and the new one were attached. It may also have a slot for one of the combination saw kits they sold for many years. I'm guessing the teeth on the back of the blade are user applied too. All the flooring saws I've seen have a radiused edge. Take off the handle and report back.

John Grider
09-20-2016, 7:10 PM
I will report back but the plate is etched Disston and the handle has a Disston emblem. I cannot make out a model number on the plate.

John

John Grider
09-25-2016, 7:04 PM

It has a Disston Emblem and a Disston Etching on the plate.

Pete Taran
09-25-2016, 8:54 PM
John,

Is there a model number on the etching? It does look like that handle was always with the saw. It could be a user modified D12 panel saw, but I'm curious if the etch says D12? I also just realized that there is no wheat carving on the handle which it should have if it were a true D12. I've not seen that type of handle on anything but a D12. Each new piece of info gets us closer to what it is though.

Pete

lowell holmes
09-25-2016, 10:35 PM
The model number is on my D12 etching. I think all Disstons have the model number in the etching.

brian zawatsky
09-26-2016, 4:32 PM
My money is solidly on a user-modified saw. Maybe it is an an old No. 9, as opposed to a D12 which I remember as being much more "blocky" in appearance. The No 9 and the No 12 shared the same style handle, the difference being that the No 9 had no wheat chip carving on it.

lowell holmes
09-26-2016, 6:05 PM
My money is solidly on a user-modified saw. Maybe it is an an old No. 9, as opposed to a D12 which I remember as being much more "blocky" in appearance. The No 9 and the No 12 shared the same style handle, the difference being that the No 9 had no wheat chip carving on it.

That blocky appearance is why I modified both my no. 7 and now my no. 12. Both are 10 ppi crosscut saws. The saw plates are identical in saw plate gage as well as shape. As it has turned out, both handles are pratically identical.

Oh well, I'm not convinced the number 12 is superior to the number 7. The number 7 has been my favorite crosscut saw, but my D-23 is close. I don't know why the 23's don't get more attention. They really are quality.

Phil Mueller
09-26-2016, 6:33 PM
I'm with you, Lowell. I don't have a 12 to compare, but do like my 7s and D23 a lot.

brian zawatsky
09-26-2016, 7:35 PM
That blocky appearance is why I modified both my no. 7 and now my no. 12. Both are 10 ppi crosscut saws. The saw plates are identical in saw plate gage as well as shape. As it has turned out, both handles are pratically identical. Oh well, I'm not convinced the number 12 is superior to the number 7. The number 7 has been my favorite crosscut saw, but my D-23 is close. I don't know why the 23's don't get more attention. They really are quality.

Just to clarify, the No 12 had a nicely shaped & perfectly contoured chip carved handle, up until the late 1930's - early 1940's (I think?) when it was replaced by the D-12 with its ugly, blocky handle with the oversized hand hole. The handle in the original post looks like a pre-1920 design to me.

Maybe I'm a saw snob, or maybe it's just my personal aesthetic, but I won't spend the little bit of valuable shop time that I get on restoring anything that's post-1920s ish. The quality and fit/finish really fell off dramatically after the "golden age" era ended. If you had the opportunity to use a well tuned late 1800's No 12, I think you'd be singing its praises. Just my opinion.

Pete Taran
09-26-2016, 8:18 PM
Brian,

I agree with everything your wrote, except that it looks pre 1920s. That handle is from a 1930s era saw at earliest. I bet that medallion says "Phila" and not Philada". Also, the #9 ceased production in 1904, no way that is what it is. It's a conundrum, I definitely agree that the back of the blade is user modified. I have a whole shelf of oddities in my collection which don't make any sense and are 100% original factory production. Disston did make a tool box saw with a blade that short, but it didn't have that style handle. I'd be interested in the etching and medallion type. Might help a little.

Everyone loves a good mystery,

Pete

John Grider
09-27-2016, 6:52 PM
The etching is very faint. I think I see a part of a 2 in the center of the etching but am not sure. I am going to have to get out a magnifying glass. Will continue to report back. :)

John Grider
09-27-2016, 6:59 PM
You sir, are correct. The Medallion say Phila. Also, the back of the blade seems to be sharpened as a rip saw as is the front.

I am enjoying this.

John

Daryl Weir
10-02-2016, 3:59 PM
Hi all,

Not trying to take anything away from the OP but I've attached some pictures of an identical saw that I have on hand. I've also sharpened one, quite a few years ago for Slav, who is a friend of mine. Some of the etch remains, enough to know that it is a Disston but enough is missing to not be able to really determine if there is a model number or not. If I want to stretch it quite a bit, there could be a No."3" at the bottom but that really is "SSSStretchinggggg" it! The handle is apple and does look somewhat like a No.9 because of the double loop/ogee on the lower handle return but it lacks the birds mouth detail at the top. The blade is 12" long and has the No.10 stamped for the ppi, just like a regular hand or panel saw. The blade is slightly taper ground from right around .030" at the tooth line to .025" at the point. It filed just like any other Disston, so the material in this one isn't junk.

So to John, I believe someone did file teeth on the back of your saw. If I was guessing this saw is probably from the late 1920's to early 1930's.

It makes me wonder if these saws could have been part of a child's tool box or kit? Yes, children were evidently able to play with sharp objects back then.....heaven forbid today that would happen!:rolleyes:

345045 345046 345047 345048 345049 345050

John Grider
10-03-2016, 7:22 PM
Yes, that looks to be the same saw. I have not had an opportunity to look at the etching on my saw with magnification. The is a number in the etch but, alas, my eye are the same age as the rest of my body and I can't make it out with the naked eye even with my glasses.

Thanks Daryl, I will look and report.

Mike Allen1010
10-04-2016, 9:20 PM
How fortunate are we here on the creek that we have the benefit of hearing from both Pete Taran and Daryl Weir! At the risk of sounding like an utter fan boy, they have together likely seen up close and worked on more saws than any 50 other saw aficionados put together.

IMHO, is one of the great things about the Creek is the community has the benefit of talking directly with experts who are literally at the top of their field. Like Pete and Daryl, there are a number of folks here on the Creek who have invested a lifetime to be among the top handful of people in the world at what they do.

I'm no expert at anything, but my experience is its incredibly rare for the leading practitioners in any field to be accessible/responsive to the general public, like they are here on SMC - e.g. there's zero chance past/current Federal Reserve Chairs Paul Volcher, Ben Barnake or Janet Yellen are responding to questions from average people.

Sorry if that sounds preachy, my only intent is to express my appreciation for the expertise and generosity of the community here on SMC.

Best, Mike

lowell holmes
10-05-2016, 11:45 AM
I always read your posts Mike.