PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 22114 Good Deal?

Jason Spivey
09-19-2016, 3:41 PM
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/tls/5782100024.html

i currently do not have a table saw, as i just sold my dewalt jobsite saw. this one looks good mainly for the table mounted trunions and upgraded fence system. any thoughts from someone who owns or has owned one?

Frank Pratt
09-19-2016, 5:07 PM
A saw with cabinet mount trunions is much easier to calibrate. That's a good fence though.

Robert Parent
09-19-2016, 5:12 PM
Hi,

I have the same saw with the stamp wings and it's not to bad of a saw overall. It is a little under powered when cutting lots of hard maple or hickory. One other item which you should note is that mine has a fairly short arbor length. If you plan to use stack dado you may not get to 3/4 inch. Just something to check before buying. If you are doing run of the mill woodworking it should work just fine for you. The updated fence is a nice plus. I doubt you will find much better for the $'s.

Robert

Paul Wunder
09-19-2016, 6:01 PM
Assuming that you can run it before buying it, it is an excellent deal. I have the 22124 model for 7-8 years and it has not required any adjustments since its initial setup. The Biesmeyer fence came with mine as standard and I love it. It has good power providing you use a thin kerf blade of good quality. I use a Forest Dado King and the saw will take a full 3/4 inch,

One caveat, however. The saw was manufactured by Steel City Tool Works which went out of business in early 2015. Many parts are now unavailable both through Sears and also through the vendor who bought all of Steel City's parts inventory, Case in point: I recently wanted a back up arbor nut (just in case) and found them to be unavailable from Sears, Steel City's vendor or other normal parts suppliers on the web.

Cary Falk
09-19-2016, 8:39 PM
If the Incra miter gauge is include and he has the original base then I would say it is a pretty good deal. Do check out things out well because as stated, Steel City is out of business.

Myk Rian
09-19-2016, 9:03 PM
I have the Steel City brother to that one. Nice saw.

Doug Hepler
09-19-2016, 10:26 PM
I had that saw for 10 years and used it every day. The table arrived (and remained) dead flat. It ripped 8/4 hard maple without trouble if I treated it right (rip blade and reasonable feed rate). It took a 3/4" Freud dado stack with a bit to spare and cut 3/4 x 1/2" deep dados with no problem. The only problem I had with it in all that time was when I cranked the blade tilt past vertical and sheared a pin. (My mistake)

I thought it was as good a saw as I needed as a serious amateur woodworker. My son has it now, since I downsized. He's very happy with it AFAIK

Doug

Joe Kaufman
09-20-2016, 10:20 AM
I sold my 22124 a year ago, after 10 years of use. The only negative that I remember is the arbor thread is not continuous to the shoulder that seats the blade. That's not a problem until you use a Freud box blade combo setup or multiple stacked blades. The second blade can drop into the space and not be centered. I never noticed the problem with a Freud dado stack as they must be wide or thick enough to bridge the gap.