PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a band saw

Greg Keller
09-19-2016, 12:03 PM
So i am in a kind of unique, or maybe I just tell myself that, situation. I am in the market for my first and hopefully last bandsaw. I am having a hard time wading through all of the different models and options out there. Here is where I think my uniqueness lies. I am primarily focused on using hand tools for most of the stuff I build (wide range of stuff from small boxes to dining tables, sideboards, etc). I guess I am more of the hybrid approch in that I don't want to prep rough sawn lumber by hand, so use a planer and jointer for that stuff. I do not have, and do not plan on getting a table saw. Just don't have the real estate in my half of the basement for one. So make your recommendations based on the band saw being my only electron powered saw in the shop. Well maybe a track saw for sheet goods, but I don't use ply for that much stuff. I think the major uses for the band saw will be long rips and resawing (I have a 13 inch planer, so would like to get close to this in resaw capacity). Curves will be cut mainly with a bow/turning saw.

I'm stuck on whether to go with one of the newer 14 inch models with big resaw capacity like the laguna 14 suv, or one of the nice new rikons, or a bigger 17-19 inch grizzly. The cost for these all hover around the 1500-2000 range and I'm fine with that. Don't want to go north of 2k though unless there is something awesome that I'm missing between 2k and 2500.

I've got a couple months to make a decision, so lots of time to wade through my options, but would absolutely love to only have to buy one bandsaw and be done with it :) Any and all help is appreciated.

Van Huskey
09-19-2016, 12:29 PM
First, between now and the time you plnk down the money for a new saw watch the classifieds on ALL the forums and set up Craigslist notifications for Minimax and other higher end steel framed saws, a MM16 or MM20 would be perfect for you.

Resawsing and ripping (to a lesser extent) are about beam strength and horsepower. Beam strength comes from high tension on a large cross section blade and horsepower is well horsepower. Budget for a good carbide resaw blade along with your saw. In the saws you will be looking at new either the 3/4" Lenox Trimaster or the Laguna Resaw King would be my choice any wider and saws in this price range will struggle to properly tension the blade. While the 513 and 514 series Grizzly will give you more throat your uses won;t need that. My choice would be the 2.5hp Laguna BX14.

Greg Keller
09-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Yeah, resaw king is already figured into my budget.

When I originally started lookin into it the Laguna was pretty much at the top of my list, but then time and more research caused me to question if I should be looking at bigger 17-19 inch machines. I can't really imagine that I'll be needing it, but wanted to get opinions.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for those minimax models on the used market. Thanks.

Ben Rivel
09-19-2016, 1:26 PM
Check out a Hammer N4400 or any of the Felders too in the used market.

Greg Parrish
09-19-2016, 2:18 PM
I would go with a laguna 14 suv, or a used minimax if you luck up on one. I say this having just bought a grizzly g0513x2F myself, but even though the laguna has less throat I would have bought it if the price were the same. I just couldn't stretch my budget far enough out there, but the 14 suv looks to be a really nice saw with the 3hp lesson motor on it. Good luck.

Van Huskey
09-19-2016, 2:51 PM
Yeah, resaw king is already figured into my budget.

When I originally started lookin into it the Laguna was pretty much at the top of my list, but then time and more research caused me to question if I should be looking at bigger 17-19 inch machines. I can't really imagine that I'll be needing it, but wanted to get opinions.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for those minimax models on the used market. Thanks.

The thing based on your usage the bigger throat is a waste and the Laguna 14" saws are going to be able to equal or exceed the tension of the lighter Grizzly saws, a different story of you were looking at the G0636 or G0701. The Laguna SUV is indeed a good option but I am just more enamored with the features of the BX and despite slightly lower capacity and HP I think the extra money may not be warranted. I also REALLY like the Hammer N4400 as an all around saw but think it is getting a little over priced (especially when you add shipping) and it is less resaw focused than the Lagunas. BTW the cheapest shipping I have seen on the Lagunas is Equipment Sales and Surplus in Washington as they have free shipping (residential liftgate) you can do better total when Woodcraft has a 10% off sale since their shipping is $75.

Doug Hepler
09-19-2016, 3:46 PM
Greg,

It sounds like you want a bigger saw than I have, but I decided to chime in because I am more-or-less in your situation. After 11 years with a bigger shop I downsized and no longer have a table saw. I get along just fine with a Laguna 14/12 band saw as my go-to saw. I also used a circular (carpenter's) saw with cutting guides for wider crosscuts and a Nobex miter box for finer crosscuts. The 14/12 will take and tension a 3/4" wide blade. It is solid and completely satisfactory. Since my shop space is limited, I have to change blade size fairly often. This is about as easy as it gets with the 14/12. I have not had occasion to resaw 12" wide boards but resawing 7-10" oak, bloodwood, yellowheart, etc. is fine. The saw has never appeared to bog down at all even with hard exotics. My lathe will swing only 12" so I have not seen the need for a larger resaw capacity. As far as that goes, I don't turn all that many 12" diameter objects.

Because I wanted to resume segmented turning I recently bought a SMCS which has largely supplanted my circular saw for crosscuts, but the 14/12 is still my go-to saw for ripping. Customer service from Laguna has been excellent.

Doug

John TenEyck
09-19-2016, 4:04 PM
I went through a similar decision process recently and nearly bought the Laguna BX or SUV, but finally decided to get the Grizzly 636X, despite it costing significantly more. It's their 17" - 5 HP model, all 620 lbs of it, and it is a very nice saw; I think on par with the best of the Euro imports, with more features and for significantly less money. I put a 1" Lennox Woodmaster CT on it and it cuts so fast and smooth that I won't even need to sand veneer any more on the glue side. Amazing. 16" of resaw capacity, too. I'm sure the Laguna's would have met my needs, but I decided to go with the no regrets, ever, option. All in, about $3K, so a pretty big step up over the 14" saws, but the saw is a big step up, too.

John

Greg Parrish
09-19-2016, 4:59 PM
I went through a similar decision process recently and nearly bought the Laguna BX or SUV, but finally decided to get the Grizzly 636X, despite it costing significantly more. It's their 17" - 5 HP model, all 620 lbs of it, and it is a very nice saw; I think on par with the best of the Euro imports, with more features and for significantly less money. I put a 1" Lennox Woodmaster CT on it and it cuts so fast and smooth that I won't even need to sand veneer any more on the glue side. Amazing. 16" of resaw capacity, too. I'm sure the Laguna's would have met my needs, but I decided to go with the no regrets, ever, option. All in, about $3K, so a pretty big step up over the 14" saws, but the saw is a big step up, too.

John

Very nice saw John. Wish my 513x2 had the same trunion as that 636. It looks like a beast. :)

Terry Starch
09-19-2016, 5:50 PM
I have a Jet 18" bandsaw. I love it. I cut small logs into lumber several times. It was good for me.

Jet JWBS-18QT-3