PDA

View Full Version : Mantle Update

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi,

Well here is my Mantle FOCAL point project, about 99% done now, I installed the marble heart this weekend and attached the mantle to the wall.

I still have to do some fit caulking and another final clour coat of paint...but it's about done. I feel like it is a piece of house furniture, with a walnut inset for the faux fire box...all this to add a focal point to the living room.

We already have a functional fireplace and a gas stove (Vermont Casting) so this faux fireplace balances it all out now.

Take care,
Jim

David Klug
06-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Jim I really like your mantel. Did you design it yourself? I have a pellet stove that I want to build a mantel for but I haven't come up with a design that I like yet.

Dave

Byron Trantham
06-16-2003, 8:06 AM
Jim, looks like you accomplished your goal. That mantel is a very beautiful focal point in any room. I built one in my living room as well except mine has a gas fire place insert in it. It took forever. My big shock was the $400 to get the gas run to it. The source was about teen feet away!

Anyway, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Jason Roehl
06-16-2003, 9:01 AM
That looks sweet, Jim! Hmm...my wife just walked by--I hope she didn't see the pic...we could use a new mantle....

Bob Lasley
06-16-2003, 9:10 AM
Jim,

I get a warm and cozy feeling just looking at your focal point! Very nice work. I especially like the appliques.

Bob

Glenn Clabo
06-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Pretty...well done...standing O!

Mike Schwing
06-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Jim, that is a superb job. Looks better every time you post a picture of the progress. Really nice!

Ron McNeil
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Jim,

What a wonderful job on your mantel. It looks great. That would be a focal point for any room. Well Done

Lee Schierer
06-16-2003, 12:33 PM
I've got the marshmallows...oh that's right, this is a faux fireplace. Well what it needs is an old fashioned popcorn poppper standing next to it.

Great work Lee!.

Lee

Bruce Page
06-16-2003, 6:46 PM
Boy Jim, once you put the hockey sticks away, you get right to it! The mantel looks great!

Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that’s not true. Some smaller countries are neutral. -- Robert Orben

Rusty Hughes, Indy
06-16-2003, 8:42 PM
Jim, you forgot the faux wood and the faux fire. Wouldn't it be cool if you had red and orange streamers taped to a fake log and have a fan hidden that would blow the streamers up? :)

No need to thank me for the idea. I'm full of a bunch of ideas just like this one.

Oh, and by the way, well done.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-16-2003, 9:45 PM
Hi,

Thank you each and every one for your kind words of support.

Take care,
Jim