PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming about projects in the shop, while down

Scott Brandstetter
09-18-2016, 9:50 PM
Had shoulder replacement surgery a few weeks ago and starting to go a little stir crazy. Thought I would take this time to learn and read a lot about techniques, different projects I've never really tried (scroll saw work), just keep my mind occupied.

I have a live edge slab approximately 6 feet long, 4 inches thick, and 12 inches deep. When I got it I planned to create a fireplace mantle for our outdoor fireplace. It's obviously rough sawn and was wondering if I create a planer sled, can I run the darn thing through my 15 inch planer. Seems silly to even ask, I guess it's no different that any other rough sawn wood I buy, maybe the sheer size has me asking questions. I only have an 8 inch jointer so it's not an option to run it through that to get a "good" side.

John TenEyck
09-18-2016, 11:16 PM
I hope your recovery is fast and complete.

You might want to consider a router sled rather than trying to run it through your planer. Not as fast, but you don't have to manhandle like you would with the planer. I've flattened several large slabs using a router sled and it works very well.

John

Paul Girouard
09-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Had shoulder replacement surgery a few weeks ago and starting to go a little stir crazy. Thought I would take this time to learn and read a lot about techniques, different projects I've never really tried (scroll saw work), just keep my mind occupied.

I have a live edge slab approximately 6 feet long, 4 inches thick, and 12 inches deep. When I got it I planned to create a fireplace mantle for our outdoor fireplace. It's obviously rough sawn and was wondering if I create a planer sled, can I run the darn thing through my 15 inch planer. Seems silly to even ask, I guess it's no different that any other rough sawn wood I buy, maybe the sheer size has me asking questions. I only have an 8 inch jointer so it's not an option to run it through that to get a "good" side.

Flatten it by making a slab flattening jig , Fine Woodworking had a article a few years ago by the actor , pretty simple jig , I made one it works well.

FWW : #222

Level Big Slabs in No Time FlatNBC sitcom star cooks up router jigs and Nakashima-style furniture in his L.A. shop

John T Barker
09-18-2016, 11:39 PM
You might also investigate small projects. I don't know if replacement is as bad as rotator cuff surgery but if it is you are in for long rehab. I had mine done May 4th and I can't handle much in the way of weight. I was getting ready to cut a board the other day (actually making a physical therapy device for my shoulder) when I realized there was no way I could support the stock I was planning to push through the table saw.
Good luck with your recovery, don't rush it.