PDA

View Full Version : Sully -- The Movie

George Bokros
09-18-2016, 7:22 PM
Has anyone went to see this movie. Went with my wife for my birthday. We have not been to theater is like 20 yrs. The movie was excellent but the theater experience was disappointing.

The sound was so loud it as deafening, I complained to the manager and he turned the sound down 5 decibels. He could have turned it down 25 decibels and it still would have been plenty loud. Maybe I am just an old f___(insert your own letters) but we will not go to another theater movie again. We will wait until it comes out on dvd or cable.

Are all theaters like this today?

Frederick Skelly
09-18-2016, 7:25 PM
I usually think it's too loud George. Plus, the price of everything - tickets, concessions - has just exceeded what I'm willing to pay. But maybe that's just me, because A LOT of folks I know just love going to the movies.

Fred

Rich Riddle
09-18-2016, 8:01 PM
I am not a fan of the movie experience, or at least not in the last decade. If it helps, if you go to the matinee show it's usually quieter.

Mark Blatter
09-18-2016, 8:03 PM
My wife and I seldom go to a theater to see movies. As noted the expense is outrageous, plus the sound levels are always too high, which can aggravate or trigger a migraine for my wife. The other issue is that so many people cannot go out without using half a bottle of cologne or perfume, which can also trigger migraines.

We hit the theaters about twice a year is all and then we try to hit a matinee which are normally less busy. Watching movies at home is just as enjoyable, I get to drink the flavor of soda I like and have whatever snacks I want. There is little about seeing a movie at the theater that is better than in your own home.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2016, 8:23 PM
My wife and I saw Sully last night as a matter of fact. Excellent movie, IMO. Though, personally in any collaboration between Tom Hanks and Clint Eastwood, I would expect excellence.

The movie theater's audio was loud but it seems to be the standard these days. That was according to my wife. One of the few benefits of being deaf using a cochlear implant, I can adjust the volume to suit me.

Stan Calow
09-18-2016, 8:43 PM
Yes its loud. Its to drown out the people talking on their cellphones.

George Bokros
09-18-2016, 9:54 PM
I am not a fan of the movie experience, or at least not in the last decade. If it helps, if you go to the matinee show it's usually quieter.

We went to the matinee.

Keith Westfall
09-19-2016, 1:30 AM
Had occasion a number of years ago, (sometime soon after it happened) to hear Sully speak at a conference I was at. Amazing story. A few things the movie missed:

He said that his co-pilot that day was not his normal one, but one that had LOTS of experience, and that they just did what needed to be done without a lot of who's to do it.
When they came to a stop in the water, they both turned to each other and said (at the same time) "Well that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!"

Also, the TSB DID NOT try to make him out the bad guy making wrong decisions (saw this in a recent interview) but apparently they thought it would make a better story line!

Amazing man, with lots of experience, that just did what was needed. Experience ='s good choices, Ability ='s a successful outcome.

I enjoyed the movie immensely!

Mike Henderson
09-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Had occasion a number of years ago, (sometime soon after it happened) to hear Sully speak at a conference I was at. Amazing story. A few things the movie missed:

He said that his co-pilot that day was not his normal one, but one that had LOTS of experience, and that they just did what needed to be done without a lot of who's to do it.
When they came to a stop in the water, they both turned to each other and said (at the same time) "Well that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!"

Also, the TSB DID NOT try to make him out the bad guy making wrong decisions (saw this in a recent interview) but apparently they thought it would make a better story line!

Amazing man, with lots of experience, that just did what was needed. Experience ='s good choices, Ability ='s a successful outcome.

I enjoyed the movie immensely!
I never hear much about the co-pilot but I'm sure he was equally responsible for the successful outcome.

Mike

Kevin Womer
09-19-2016, 5:31 PM
Yes its loud. Its to drown out the people talking on their cellphones.Or talking during the movie.

Erik Loza
09-19-2016, 5:49 PM
Or talking during the movie.

The Alamo Drafthouse (a local cinema chain that has locations in a few US cities) has a strict no talking/no texting rule. They'll throw you out without a refund if someone complains. We're spoiled. I basically won't go to a regular theatre any more due to the talking and texting issue.

To George's point, I think the whole super-loud deal seems to be a phenomenon of the mall-type theatres. The Drafthouse has never been really loud to me but on the few occasions I have gone to the place in the mall, it does seem much louder. Also, I think part of it is just getting older. I went to plenty of concerts when I was in my 20's and never considered them loud. Now, I sort of do. I think your perception and threshold change as you get older.

Erik

william watts
09-19-2016, 6:32 PM
My wife and I both have hearing problems, going to the movies is a variable experience. The volume levels are to loud for sure, but my difficulty is with the amount of bass boost and especially the amount of reverb. The local theater "art house" had old equipment and had very clear sound. Then they had a fund raising drive for new audio gear, Dolby surround, digital and all the latest rage type gear. Now their sound is the same as all the other theaters. They do have glasses that let you see closed captioning on some movies and they do work.

glenn bradley
09-19-2016, 9:00 PM
The need to overpower the audience with sound is not a one-size fits all. Action thriller, space-age dog fights and so forth can be impressive. Unfortunately the love scenes and slow building drama scenes are played at the same volume. I was in rock bands back in the day and still know just what a live brass section sounds like. I do not need my fillings loosened by someone's footsteps creeping down an alley ;-)

Al Launier
09-20-2016, 8:49 AM
My wife & I saw the movie this past Sunday & thought it was "reasonable", perhaps a 7 out of 10. I was surprised how intensive the investigation was portrayed in relation to questioning Sully's decision. As note above, it appears the TSB wasn't as overbearing in real life as it was in the movie. Frankly I thought the portrayed investigation could have been more convincing as it appeared shallow, lacking objectivity & imposing too much personal vendetta against Sully, especially when it was later revealed they didn't factor in his personal experience and judgement into the equation. I realize this is just a show, but feel the investigation could have been portrayed more realistically. So, now many who watch the show may walk away believing what they saw.

There's no question that he & his co-pilot were real heroes, as well as the flight attendants.

As for the loudness, I agree that most shows, whether movies or TV, are far too loud, especially with the background music. As one who needs hearing aids, it's difficult to capture the words with loud background "noise".

mark r johnson
09-20-2016, 4:17 PM
Yes, loved that movie. Yes, too loud, but I put in ear plugs (the ones I use around my table saw) and my wife takes out her hearing aids. I might start wearing sun glasses for all those using their cell phone during the movie.

Past that, my latest gripe is the dine-in experience (yes, AMC I'm talking about you) where the tables a so tall you can not see the movie screen. My grandkids tell me I need a booster seat and I can borrow theirs. I'd like to boycott that dine-in experience but they (yes, AMC again) will NOT give you that information until you walk into the theater. The good news is I've never seen more that 4 people in one of those. My wife stowes the popcorn and I have the flask...

Garth Almgren
09-20-2016, 6:57 PM
A big problem is that sound is so rarely balanced properly these days. Explosions and action are super loud, and dialog is super quiet. At home we turn on the closed captioning just so that we don't have to be constantly messing with the volume.

I do love going to the IMAX at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle - it has a 70' tall screen and 12,000 watts of absolutely breathtaking surround sound, but they also provide earplugs for anybody who wants them. The experience is so amazing that when I saw Avatar 3D there, I thought it was a good movie. When I watched it at home on Blu Ray, not so much. :D