PDA

View Full Version : Sargent 708 Adjustments

Michael Cuthriell
09-18-2016, 3:37 PM
I'm looking for some advice on adjusting a Sargent 708. It seems to me that the top piece (unsure of name) floats on the blade and must be adjusted by pushing it up and down with the blade not in tension. The knurled nut on the stem of it only allows the amount it is pushed. Am I missing something? Also, should this plane be able to be adjusted for blade depth when in tension? I can adjust it laterally, but not in and out. I've never seen any printed or discussed nistructions on this plane anywhere.

Thanks.

Jim Koepke
09-18-2016, 5:56 PM
Howdy Michael, A belated welcome to the Creek.

Not sure if this will help any, but there is a link to contact them:

https://timetestedtools.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/the-sargent-708/

To be able to answer your question I would actually have to have the plane in hand. If you are in the Pacific Northwest, we could arrange a get together. Though I will be out of commission for a while come next Wednesday.

If there is enough blade left, the lever cap screw may be overly tight. It might also have some parts frozen from age or rust.

Will parts move freely without the blade in place?

It also looks like there may be adjustment of a push pull type of arrangement. This would require one bolt to be loosened while the other is tightened.

Also just found this:

http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-708-auto-set-smooth-plane/

jtk

steven c newman
09-18-2016, 6:29 PM
Ok, basic hand plane 101..
This is the iron. The bolt connects the iron to a chipbreaker. Note that the beveled edge is on the side away from the chipbreaker.
This is a chipbreaker, I have it set back from the edge by about 1mm. The oval slot is where a bolt will come through. The small rectangle has a tab that come up through it..
The bolt is called a lever cap bolt. Note the tab in the smaller hole. The tab is part of a "yoke" and the adjuster wheel will move the tab up or down to set the depth of cut.
Like this one. Older planes have right hand threads, newer ones will have left handed threads. With the left handed threads, if you spin the wheel clockwise, it will retract, but it will also advance the iron for a deeper cut,
Lever cap..
It fits over the lever cap bolt, then you "snap" that lever down to tighten things in place..
Now,IF that bolt is too tight, no depth adjustments will happen. You will need to loosen the bolt a quarter turn at a time, until you can barely turn the wheel. You want things just tight enough that the plane will hold the settings, but not so loose that things move around. IF you have to pry the lever up, with a screwdriver, it is way too tight.

Then try to make a shaving.....
And...you may find you need a little less depth. But, watch out, this will get addictive

Maybe...

Plane used in the first few pictures is a "Fulton" #3 sized plane. Made by Sargent, and sold at Sears,
The plane in the last picture was made by Millers Falls, sold at Sears as Craftsman. It is also a #3 size.

Ok, the 708 is also called the Auto-set planes...There is a knob that points towards the front, about the same spot as a lever cap bolt would be. Loosen that a 1/4 turn or so. The one with the lateral lever on it, is the depth adjuster, same as the wheel on the 408 I posted. Instead of a lever, the auto-set used another bolt to adjust the cap iron. Way too many bolts for me....perhaps Jim's link might do a better job...

Michael Cuthriell
09-18-2016, 6:50 PM
Thank you, Jim. This is more than I have been able to fined. Your comment that one bolt has to be loosened while the other is adjusted is what I have experienced. From everything I have seen on this style of plane they are supposed to be easy to adjust and I have not found that to be the case. I have had the plane 30+ years and never really bothered with it. The condition very good.344326

Greg Wease
09-18-2016, 7:18 PM
The "floating" piece is actually the chip breaker and is adjusted with tension of the lever cap released. I can adjust both lateral and depth with the lever cap tightened, but not too tight. I think Don Wilwol is the Sargent expert; maybe he'll check in soon.

Jim Koepke
09-19-2016, 1:01 AM
Is it just me or does the side profile of this look a lot like a Veritas bench plane?

As for ease of adjustment, my understanding is comes into play when removing the blade for sharpening and then getting back to work without having to reset the depth adjustment.

Again my only knowledge of this plane is what is online.

jtk