PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0634Z jointer/planer

ROY WALLACE
09-18-2016, 1:53 PM
I am having a problem with my Grizzly G0634Z jointer/planer. It was working fine one day, two days later it started leaving an imprint from both the infeed and outfeed rollers on the work piece. I loosened the retainers 3/4 of a turn on the outfeed roller. Didn't help. I called Grizzly tech support and didn't get much help. I took off the covers and found a nut underneath on the floor that turned out to be one missing from the end of the outfeed roller. The nut on the infeed roller was also loose. I reattached the one and tightened both. That did not fix the problem either. Has anyone had a similar experience and, if so, how did you fix it?

Roy Wallace

The machine is about 5 yo, but has not seen a lot of use. I retired just last May.

glenn bradley
09-18-2016, 3:24 PM
So these are steel serrated feed rollers, yes? On my planer I have the tension backed way off from the factory recommendation and the thing still has a grip like an alligator. You could try backing the tension off till the marks go away or till it stops feeding. If you back the tension way off and the marks are still present I would look at your cutterhead setting/height. The relationship may be out of skew. If these are rubber rollers you may be getting dimples from spoil getting pressed back into the surface. Better DC will solve that.

ROY WALLACE
09-20-2016, 7:11 AM
Thanks Glen. Yes, they are the steel serrated type rollers. The infeed is a spiral which I think is leaving diagonal lines across the work piece and the outfeed is a diamond pattern. They are both leaving an imprint. I will try what you suggest. I'm not sure why it started in the first place. It is possible that I am using a softer wood than before.

So these are steel serrated feed rollers, yes? On my planer I have the tension backed way off from the factory recommendation and the thing still has a grip like an alligator. You could try backing the tension off till the marks go away or till it stops feeding. If you back the tension way off and the marks are still present I would look at your cutterhead setting/height. The relationship may be out of skew. If these are rubber rollers you may be getting dimples from spoil getting pressed back into the surface. Better DC will solve that.

glenn bradley
09-20-2016, 8:15 AM
It is possible that I am using a softer wood than before.

Yes, I should have mentioned that even with the pressure backed way off I will still get the diagonal lines from the outfeed roller on softer woods like mahogany. This can also be exaggerated by very light passes. Planers with serrated steel rollers are not finish planers so don't expect the surface you get with a lunchbox planer. I have seen posts where folks have kept their lunchbox after stepping up their planer platform for just this reason.

I moved to an insert cutterhead to solve tearout on highly figured material and this works great. My parts get worked so much after coming off of a machine that the minor marks on softer woods is not a problem. The marks left at the factory settings were quite aggressive so, thanks to someone on a forum I tried backing the tension off. It got better so I kept backing off till I found a sweet spot between "no marks" and "solid feed".

Mike Hollingsworth
09-20-2016, 12:43 PM
I also found with my first set of serrated feeders that I'm no longer able to "kiss" as I was able on a lunchbox. Got over it.

Curt Harms
09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
The only thing I could think of - and I doubt it's practical - would be to replace the serrated outfeed with a smooth rubber coated roller. That's what Jet has and as long as I remove > 1/32" there are no marks.