PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin Fans

Chris Padilla
09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Some friends of mine and I went up to Napa, CA, last night to see a Led Zeppelin tribute band called, Get The Led Out.

These guys absolutely NAILED the original, studio sound of Led Zeppelin. With the over-dubbing of guitars that Page often employed, you'll find that they have 2-3 guitar players on stage for most of the songs.

Look them up to see if they are near you and go see them. You will love it.

My ears are still buzzing this morning but what a memorable evening!

Here is the set list from the evening:

IMO, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was the best followed extremely closely by "Nobody's Fault But Mine" as best of set. The power you get from a live rather intimate performance (the Napa Uptown Theatre holds 863 and it was sold out) was incredible. There is nothing quite like feeling the bass thumping on your chest!! :)

Cheers,

Chris

Rich Riddle
09-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Of course a tribute band plays their songs; it's past their bed time. Glad you like the music. Also grateful you didn't post a tribute thread to John Elway or Peyton Manning.

Here is a picture of the band in 2012 with President Obama.

Pat Barry
09-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tip Chris. I would love to see their show. I wonder if they do nationwide appearances.

mike holden
09-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Another good tribute band is Lez Zeppelin. Young ladies rocking it out.

Chris Padilla
09-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Pat, do a search...they go all over the place but you likely won't find them filling any of the larger more popular venues; they will be in the smaller places.

Van Huskey
09-19-2016, 6:48 AM
I have seen them several times and they are always great. I think the first time I saw them was about five years ago in Philly at the Electric Factory and they have gotten progressively better. They tour like crazy and if your are a Zeppelin fan (and don't have an issue with tribute bands) they are a must see.

I did see Zeppelin once (funny enough also in Philly) in 1985 at Live Aid but they weren't billed nor introduced as Zeppelin, Phil Collins and another drummer who's name escapes me attempted to fill Bonzo's shoes. When they came out Collin's just called them "My three mates" or something like that, it has been 31 years... holy crap I am old... I was in college then!

Prashun Patel
09-19-2016, 8:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will look for them when/if they come out East.

What strikes me about that set is the absence of some of their famous hits like Black Dog. I like that.

It'd be great if a trib band had the guts to EXclude Stairway to Heaven JUST once.

Erik Loza
09-19-2016, 9:22 AM
There's a local diner my wife and I used to frequent. We came to know one of the hostesses there. Shelly told us that one day, she was serving a couple that looked familiar, but she could not place the faces. One of the grill guys is a huge Zeppelin fan (had their icons tattooed along his forearm) and asked her, "Do you know who that is?". Shelly apparently did not. "That's Robert Plant and Patty Griffin". Imagine that. I guess Robert Plant has (or had) a home here in Austin and dined there from time to time.

Erik

Chris Padilla
09-19-2016, 11:37 AM
http://www.ticketnetwork.com/ticket/get-the-led-out-(anddash)-tribute-band-events.aspx

Here is a list of their next venues.

Chris Padilla
09-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will look for them when/if they come out East.

What strikes me about that set is the absence of some of their famous hits like Black Dog. I like that.

It'd be great if a trib band had the guts to EXclude Stairway to Heaven JUST once.

Yep, only two songs from the iconic fourth album made it onto the set list and I agree with you although it would almost be a crime NOT to play STH. I'm cool with them skipping Black Dog and Rock 'n Roll.

It was quite brilliantly done by them. I've never quite liked STH live done by Zeppelin as I always felt it lacked the depth of the studio version. GTLO has 3 guitarists on stage playing STH and it sounded very powerful and magical. I think if you see them and they play it...you'll love it.

Chris Padilla
09-19-2016, 11:46 AM
There's a local diner my wife and I used to frequent. We came to know one of the hostesses there. Shelly told us that one day, she was serving a couple that looked familiar, but she could not place the faces. One of the grill guys is a huge Zeppelin fan (had their icons tattooed along his forearm) and asked her, "Do you know who that is?". Shelly apparently did not. "That's Robert Plant and Patty Griffin". Imagine that. I guess Robert Plant has (or had) a home here in Austin and dined there from time to time.

ErikYep, Plant has a place in Austin.

Erik Loza
09-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Erik

Chris Padilla
09-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Posted outside your home, Erik? LOL! :D

Erik Loza
09-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Posted outside your home, Erik? LOL! :D

Hahaha, no but it could be.

Erik

Chris Padilla
09-19-2016, 2:12 PM
Here we are before the band started playing.

I think this was during "No Quarter."