PDA

View Full Version : Snapped the shaft on my Carter QR1000 Quick Release bandsaw tensioner

Joe Beaulieu
09-17-2016, 7:21 PM
Hey All,

I was doing my Hulk impersonation again today (I have a bull in the china shop mode that I go into for some reason every now and then) and I broke my quick tension lever on my small 14" bandsaw. I took it apart and found the shaft had snapped inside the gear. There is no obvious way (to me) to reattach this without a machinist. Anyone gone through this? My unit is only a few months old, but I cannot in good conscience a call this a warranty issue - I pushed the thing a lot harder than I should have. If I start to turn green keep me away from your nice tools...

Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback if you have any ideas. I guess I will email Carter and ask if the shaft and gear can be purchased. Doesn't look to hard to replace.

Thanks Folks

Joe

John K Jordan
09-17-2016, 7:43 PM
Can it be welded (if you can't get a replacement reasonably)? I've got one in the garage on a spare bandsaw but can't get to it at the moment to examine.

JKJ

Ben Rivel
09-17-2016, 8:20 PM
Post a pic!

Lee Schierer
09-17-2016, 9:13 PM
I would give Carter a call on Monday and see if the parts are available. You might be surprised how they respond.

Dick Mahany
09-18-2016, 2:21 PM
I broke mine a few years back. It turned out to be a sheared pin that connects the shaft and gear. I was able to first drill out the pin from one side of the gear. Next I used a drift to knock the remaining broken pieces out and a trip to my local hardware store yielded a suitable replacement pin. It was a little confusing at first because the gear spun on the shaft but I couldn't pull the gear off. That turned out to be from the way the roll pin sheared when it broke. Perhaps they have changed the design if the shaft actually snapped ?