PDA

View Full Version : Which super dust deputy for shop fox w1666

Thomas Hutson
09-16-2016, 4:32 PM
I have a shop fox w166 2hp dust collector. It is the 1550cfm unit. I'm trying to decide if I want to get the super dust deputy xl or the regular size to finish out the two stage build I'm doing. The Oneida site is weird. It says the regular for 1.5-3hp and X like for 3-5hp. But my collector fits the specs for the xl in terms of the cam it moves. I also want the 6" one because I'm going to run 6"sewer and drain pipe in the shop with drops for the tools. Will I suffer performance if I choose one or the other?

thanks,
thomas

Jim Dwight
09-16-2016, 8:11 PM
I doubt you will have a problem with the bigger unit but I wouldn't trust the cfm specs of the manufacturer. DCs move the rated amount of air only without any restriction. Any piping and the airflow will be much less. But I don't see why a slightly bigger cyclone will diminish performance. It might the separation efficiency by reducing the velocity of the dust circulation in the cyclone but it might also improve the separation if the velocity happens to work better. I've read several reports that the super dust deputy on a DC doesn't separate as well as a dust deputy on a shop vacuum. Maybe the xl will do better.

I'd probably call Oneida, however. I think they offer free technical support.

Ben Rivel
09-16-2016, 9:13 PM
Try giving them a call. They have always been very helpful when I have called them. That said, with that dust collector, I would go with the regular super dust deputy.

James Gunning
09-17-2016, 10:23 AM
I agree, call Oneida and see what they say. My opinion is the larger XL would work fine with your blower. It has a 12 inch impeller and advertised 2HP motor. If it were me, I would use the XL. The claims for CFM are normally fluffed up by the manufacturers, and are often given without any restriction on the blower, so aren't really reliable to make a decision. The blower might move 1550 CFM, but then you have to add pipe, cyclone, filters, etc. Each of those will drop the amount of air moving. Keep in mind that dust collectors are high volume low pressure machines. Shop vacs are the opposite, low volume high pressure. You are heading in the right direction starting with 6" ducting.

Andy Giddings
09-18-2016, 8:17 AM
I have the same Shop Fox DC but in the 1.5HP size. According to the specs I'm near the upper limit of CFM for the Super DD. As James recommends, the XL would be the best choice for the 2HP Shop Fox. Also you will not need to step up the duct diameter on the inlet as the XL has a 6" inlet, not 5" like the regular DD. Running 6" duct all the way to your machine(s) will give you less of a pressure drop, even if you have to reduce right at the machine