PDA

View Full Version : Making an angled stopped dado

Anthony Scott
09-16-2016, 1:03 PM
I want to build a magazine rack like in the attached photo.
How would I go about making the dados that the front pieces would fit in to? Specifically, so that they line up on the two sides.
Thanks

Martin Wasner
09-16-2016, 1:09 PM
Cut the angle on the sides, then just run that angle against the fence.

Doing the stop part would be unpleasant, but not a big deal. Use a piece of scrap to mark where the leading and trailing edge of the dado head is on the fence. Mark your work piece accordingly and just run to your lines. I just ran mine through and put the panel that goes in the dado run proud of the sides.

I just had to make something similar the other day to cover up a massive snafu.

Martin Wasner
09-16-2016, 1:11 PM
Oops, I wasn't thinking. Build a sled for each side, or get fancy and make one that pivots. Just run the dados through, then apply a cap to the face to make them blind

glenn bradley
09-16-2016, 2:24 PM
Another great use for a router ;-) Clamp a guide with a stop block, route, move, repeat. If you will make more than one, build a template. The template can be flipped for the opposing side. This isn't to scale but, the slots could be cut to fit a template bushing. Drill the stop holes at the drill press and jigsaw or bandsaw the long cuts.

Jim Becker
09-16-2016, 3:36 PM
Router and guide/template followed by a sharp chisel. I wouldn't use the table saw for that kind of work.

Anthony Scott
09-16-2016, 6:54 PM
good idea Thanks!

Lee Schierer
09-16-2016, 9:49 PM
A router is definitely the way to make the side pieces with the angled cuts. A router will be much much safer than trying to cut stopped dados on a table saw. The router will also leave less clean up than the stopped dado cut on TS.

Cary Falk
09-17-2016, 10:13 AM
This screams router to me also