PDA

View Full Version : UV Bonding Light

Braden Todd
09-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Curious if anyone has a UV glue setup, and what light you're using. I'm considering a Dymax porta-ray 400, but for the price I want to make sure there isn't a better option out there.

Thanks!

Gary Hair
09-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Not knowing what you need it for makes it difficult to say, but I built my own UV curing "oven" for epoxy doming. I made it so that the top was open so I could cure Color on Crystal as well as anything else that could sit on the glass top. All in I spent less than $100 for the blb tubes, ballasts, switches, and mdf. The commercial units seem to be able to cure faster but I'm not sure what else you would get for the extra $$$.

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Wavelength purity Gary. The dedicated systems are usually held within very defined wavelengths for emitted light.

Gary Hair
09-16-2016, 1:01 PM
Wavelength purity Gary. The dedicated systems are usually held within very defined wavelengths for emitted light.

That sounds impressive but what does it equate to in real-world use? The epoxy I domed took 10-15 minutes to cure when it was between 1/16" and 1/8" thick, would a multi-hundred (or multi-thousand) dollar light do any better? Considering it would cure in about the time I could print and prep the next batch there wouldn't be any advantage for me if it was done in 2 minutes when it would be sitting idle for the next 12 waiting for me to finish the next batch.

Dave Sheldrake
09-16-2016, 1:06 PM
Personally, I don't really see any benefit if the glue or paint has a range it works within but the narrow wavelength is what makes them more costly to buy.

Braden Todd
09-16-2016, 1:23 PM
I am using the setup to glue acrylic, crystal, and stone together.

I was told that using the expensive light would allow a more even cure, and I'd be looking at about 30 seconds per piece done. The quoted time was for a piece 1/2"-3/4" wide by about 7" long

Gary Hair
09-16-2016, 2:33 PM
I was told that using the expensive light would allow a more even cure
That sounds like marketing speak to me. I would think anything that would output UV light over the entire surface to cure would be "even". However, I claim no expertise in UV curing, I only really know what I have worked with.

and I'd be looking at about 30 seconds per piece done. The quoted time was for a piece 1/2"-3/4" wide by about 7" long
If that were true then it would be the main selling point, if speed were important for you anyway. The faster it cures the less likely you are to move it and the less likely you are to get dust/debris in or on the adhesive. Since the oven I made was covered I never had to worry about dust and the time didn't matter either. If I were trying to justify the expense of a piece of equipment like that then I would focus on time if it really pays to have it done quickly. I would also get an inexpensive blb tube and a fixture and test the adhesive to see how quickly it cures. The Color on Crystal cured in 30-45 seconds vs 15 minutes for doming epoxy. It could be that a blb would do the same for your adhesive in which case there are tons of cheap alternatives to a more commercial system.

Kev Williams
09-16-2016, 2:46 PM
Just buy some Superglue glass glue-- it's UV activated, and you only need sunlight for 20 minutes or so...

Braden Todd
09-16-2016, 9:38 PM
[QUOTE=Gary Hair;2604796]That sounds like marketing speak to me. I would think anything that would output UV light over the entire surface to cure would be "even". However, I claim no expertise in UV curing, I only really know what I have worked with.

i was actually using a letrilite from my sandblast resist and was encountering the uneven cure, was told the uv power may not have been enough to reach the whole way evenly.

Braden Todd
09-16-2016, 9:40 PM
Just buy some Superglue glass glue-- it's UV activated, and you only need sunlight for 20 minutes or so...

Only downside is that we are looking at about 3500 pieces for this order. Hoping to find a fast and "perfect" solution for moving forward.