PDA

View Full Version : Something weird happened the other day

Robert Engel
09-15-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm installing the dado blade in my TS and oops I dropped the arbor nut.
No bigger just reach down, feel around in the sawdust, right?

No. Get a magnet, search around, not there.

Clean out the whole bin - no nut.

Take the dust coll pipe off, look in - no nut.

Take the elbow off look down the duct that runs along the back - THERE IT IS - PAST 2 90'S AND 3 FEET DOWN THE PIPE.

James Gunning
09-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Kind of like how toast always lands on the buttered side if you drop it. :o

Malcolm McLeod
09-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Never buy arbor nuts with legs.

Ben Rivel
09-15-2016, 1:23 PM
Urgh, I hate dropping that stupid nut! I wish there were some way to attach a cord to it so it could just dangle there after you remove it. Or that they would just come up with another way to hold the blade on the arbor! I swear it feels like its going to slip out of my hand every time I take it off!

Cody Colston
09-15-2016, 1:30 PM
Twice, Ive removed dado blades and forgot to remove the arbor washer. I don't even realize it until I go to install a regular sawblade. I found it once inside the cabinet after vacuuming out the sawdust (my Griz TS is not great at dust collection, even with a good cyclone). The other time, I had to do as you did...remove an elbow and blast gate to find it about a foot inside the DC pipe.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-15-2016, 1:36 PM
Never buy arbor nuts with legs.

And NEVER feed them after midnight!

Lee Schierer
09-15-2016, 2:12 PM
I have had the same experience with my saw. The dust collection opening is on the bottom and when I drop the nut, it often goes several feet into the DC piping. I have to disassemble several pieces to retrieve my arbor nut.

Wayne Jolly
09-15-2016, 2:14 PM
Maybe you should change your name to Murphy.

Scott Brader
09-15-2016, 2:21 PM
I've gotten into the habit of unscrewing the nut directly onto my index finger and lifting it out that way. It tends to stay put them. Of course, my fingers are fairly thin so it works. It probably wouldn't work so well if the nut barely covered the finger tip.

Rich Riddle
09-15-2016, 3:30 PM
Reminds me of the "over the river and through the woods" story. It's amazing how far dropped objects move.

Bradley Gray
09-15-2016, 4:06 PM
My table saw dust duct goes out through the floor and I have been there and done that twice. If I do it again I'm buying the next round.

Martin Wasner
09-15-2016, 6:43 PM
The shop next door had one in a Unisaw make it all the way to the impeller. Scratch one stabilizer.
And golf clap for a Nederman dust collector.

I guess it made a pretty good THWANG!!! when it hit. Another reason to have a cyclone in front of the fan.

Kevin Womer
09-15-2016, 7:00 PM
I have had the dust collector hose in hand, sucking up some dust before, just a general clean up, knocked a jar of screws off the bench and heard a version of a cheap gatlin gun.

Cody Colston
09-15-2016, 9:05 PM
I have had the dust collector hose in hand, sucking up some dust before, just a general clean up, knocked a jar of screws off the bench and heard a version of a cheap gatlin gun.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Marshall Mosby
09-16-2016, 12:53 AM
Happened so many times that I now care for handling the nut more than installing the blades.

Ellen Benkin
09-16-2016, 9:08 AM
You have to admit that you have a very good dust collector. Mine is so feeble it would never get that far.

Kurt Kintner
09-16-2016, 9:16 AM
Reminds me of the times when working on my truck motor, I dropped a lot of nuts and bolts, and they never made it to the garage floor....Sold it after 20 years, with a lot of free hardware .....

Malcolm McLeod
09-16-2016, 9:22 AM
Reminds me of the times when working on my truck motor, I dropped a lot of nuts and bolts, and they never made it to the garage floor....Sold it after 20 years, with a lot of free hardware .....

I dropped a screwdriver and it never came out. Decided I had better things to do with the tools (and time), so said 'uncle' and started supporting my local mechanic.

Mike Ontko
09-16-2016, 10:12 AM
I had that same problem on a couple of occasions with the arbor nut tunneling its way down into the DC pipe after I'd dropped it. Also on a couple of occasions, small off cut pieces would work their way through the throat plate (I wasn't using a zero-clearance at the time) and get pulled into the DC pipe, letting me know they made the trip by the "WHANGGGG" they made as they hit the DC fan blade. To prevent both of these events in the future, I cut off a section of lattice panel from a plastic packing crate and placed it over the DC inlet at the bottom of the tablesaw enclosure (I have a contractor style saw that I've outfitted with an aftermarket DC connection/dust chute at the bottom). The gaps in the lattice are still a little large, but it keeps the bigger pieces...and the arbor nut on occasion, from dropping down into the DC pipe.

Thomas L. Miller
09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
This is just like working on a boat in the water. Whatever gets dropped (spreader pins, etc.) heads immediately for the water. It's like they're running for home!
Tom

Martin Wasner
09-16-2016, 10:52 AM
This is just like working on a boat in the water. Whatever gets dropped (spreader pins, etc.) heads immediately for the water. It's like they're running for home!
Tom

You must be a sailor.

Sta-Masters are a gift from God. I used to keep spare pins and ring dings on the boat for changing rig tension on the water. Now you use the main sheet to take tension off that shroud and loosen/tighten up the Sta-Master and you're done. Nothing to sacrifice to the wind God's in the process.

Everything else you're hosed though...

Greg Parrish
09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
There should be a rotating clip pin of some sorts that sits directly across from the arbor pointing at it. That way, when you remove the arbor nut and washer it has to slid onto the pin and then you flip it into it's held place while you change blades. Then flip it back down and put the nut back on the arbor.

Greg Parrish
09-16-2016, 10:56 AM
You have to admit that you have a very good dust collector. Mine is so feeble it would never get that far.

Not sure about the weight of a nut but I have to be careful with small, thin cut off pieces as they will wind up in the dust collector banging all the way down the tube if Im not careful. Sucks when what you wanted was the small cut off piece. :)

Michael Weber
09-16-2016, 12:05 PM
here you go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_az6ko3qkSc

Thomas L. Miller
09-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Sta-Masters are a gift from God. I used to keep spare pins and ring dings on the boat for changing rig tension on the water. Now you use the main sheet to take tension off that shroud and loosen/tighten up the Sta-Master and you're done. Nothing to sacrifice to the wind God's in the process.

Everything else you're hosed though...

Martin,
A sailor I am. Recovering (yeah, right) a pin in 50+feet of water makes digging a washer out of a piece of ductwork seem easy!:D
Regards,
Tom

Ira Matheny
09-18-2016, 6:35 PM
I have several 'rare-earth' magnets in the first several feet of metal pipes at each machine. Located where it is easy to access.

Never had a 'nut' or 'washer' with legs.
Ira

Ben Rivel
09-18-2016, 7:05 PM
here you go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_az6ko3qkSc
Good idea as long as it never flys off while the saw is on. Wonder if it would cause any issues being done on a SawStop.