PDA

View Full Version : Finish for Elm live edge slab table

Scott Welty
09-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Working on the slab now and considering the infinite finishing options. This table will sit behind a couch with stools on the open side for people to sit (and drink and eat) at. I've tried some test pieces and put on some spar varnish, poly, and lacquer. I like the way the spar varnish brings out the grain but I think spar too soft for this application. Looking into Behlen Rock hard table top varnish. The slab is Elm.

Opinions? Bring it on!

Scott

Adam Herman
09-15-2016, 11:47 AM
I used waterlox satin on our island that is walnut, hard maple, and long leaf pine. it is holding up very well to daily use next to our stove. The only spots are from dragging something like a metal bin with sharp corners over it. the finish is easily repaired too.

John TenEyck
09-15-2016, 3:24 PM
Waterlox, Arm-R-Seal, P&L 38, or nearly any solvent based varnish would be a good choice. Or, you could use a quality WB varnish and be done in 1 or 2 days instead of 1 or 2 weeks. EnduroVar is ny personal favorite but there are others.

John

Bill McNiel
09-15-2016, 8:20 PM
I almost always use Waterlox on surfaces that will potentially see liquid abuse. I have a counter in my shop that I finished with Waterlox and use it for "show and tell" with customers.