PDA

View Full Version : Small knot in cutting boards

David Huston
09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Made some cutting boards out of scrap I had laying around. Some of the pieces had some very small knot holes in them. Was thinking of filling with some sawdust and titebond 3 or maybe just some epoxy. Which would you guys recommend? Here are some pictures.

Terry Beadle
09-15-2016, 10:47 AM
I would drill a 1/2 to 3/4 in deep hole in the center of the knot. Then make some home made cut dowel out of the closest matching material.
Pop the dowel in the drill hole with Tight Bond II to anchor it down.

I think filling it with glue mixed sawdust would not be a good method due to crumbling under use.

Just my 2 cts.

Enjoy and good luck!

Erik Loza
09-15-2016, 10:59 AM
I would just use epoxy but I'm lazy. I think the holes add interest.

Erik

Andrew Hughes
09-15-2016, 12:53 PM
My advise take a piece of walnut scraps that you can sharpen in a electric pencil sharpener.See how well it fit into the holes.
If it's good hammer in with some glue and cut flush.
I like the holes very unique.

Aj

Mike Henderson
09-15-2016, 1:49 PM
I do like Erik - I fill them with epoxy - just clear epoxy. This is assuming they're not gigantic holes.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
09-15-2016, 3:20 PM
Epoxy on a cutting board where a knife edge will get nicked or the epoxy will get cut away.
Sounds aggravation and delicious at the same time.:)

Aj

Wes Ramsey
09-15-2016, 3:23 PM
I've seen black CA glue and epoxy that would do well for this application. For filling walnut I really like to use coffee grounds as it looks more like a bark inclusion than a repair. With CA I would tamp the dried grounds into the hole and flood with thin CA. With epoxy you can mix the grounds into the resin. Drilling and filling with a plug would be a close 2nd in my book.

I like holes and 'character', but not on a cutting board. They tend to collect food and grow things you don't want to eat.

Rich Riddle
09-15-2016, 3:32 PM
I admire people who make end grain cutting boards. I am with the school that recommends drilling and tapping in a piece of wood. I am very careful with the products I use for cutting boards.

Bradley Gray
09-15-2016, 4:01 PM
I would split and sharpen a piece of scrap. Whatever you use will get chopped into the user's food.

Kevin Womer
09-15-2016, 7:09 PM
Epoxy here, but I would add black dye to hide it a bit.

Marshall Mosby
09-16-2016, 1:06 AM
The Idea by Terry Beadle should work the best. Since you have done a really great job until now, You certainly don't want epoxy or sawdust grains in cardamom. So in my opinion go for dowels. If this was for some use other than chopping or cutting, epoxy would've done the job.