PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your experience with G0766

Gary Baler
09-15-2016, 6:55 AM
I am considering replacing my Nova 16-24 with the Grizzly G0766. I watched with interest all the posts in anticipation of the new model coming out. I understand there were some bugs at first. Are those all fixed now? The combined experience of everyone at Sawmill Creek will certainly help me make up my mind ... good or bad.

I really need to get into a heavier lathe with bigger swing. I make 3-500 pieces a year ... so I use a lathe hard. Your input is important, so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Price is very important. I'm a long way from being able to make the jump to the upper class so can't even consider the very top end lathes.

Mike Goetzke
09-15-2016, 8:31 AM
I am considering replacing my Nova 16-24 with the Grizzly G0766. I watched with interest all the posts in anticipation of the new model coming out. I understand there were some bugs at first. Are those all fixed now? The combined experience of everyone at Sawmill Creek will certainly help me make up my mind ... good or bad.

I really need to get into a heavier lathe with bigger swing. I make 3-500 pieces a year ... so I use a lathe hard. Your input is important, so anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

Price is very important. I'm a long way from being able to make the jump to the upper class so can't even consider the very top end lathes.

I suggest you do a search you should find more than enough reviews (or PM Roger Chandler:D).

Mike

David C. Roseman
09-15-2016, 8:39 AM
Gary, short answer is it's turned out to be an excellent lathe, and Grizzly customer/technical support is hard to beat. I don't think you'll find a better value for the needs you're describing. If you haven't already, navigate to the SMC Grizzly Green Monster Group. (At top of this page, click Community>Groups>Search Groups>Grizzly Green Monster Group). Lots of owners of the G0766 (among other models) there discussing their experiences and impressions. Feel free to join the Group and ask questions. Scroll through the thread headings. If you have a specific issue in mind, just use the SMC general forum search function.

david privett
09-15-2016, 9:48 AM
I do not see where you could get more bang for your buck anywhere else than the g0766, I have a early one yes there was some bugs but since I worked those out it has been great.

Robert Willing
09-15-2016, 10:19 AM
I took the plunge in January this year. I also sold my Nova 16-24 to get the Grizzly G0766. You will also need to save a $ little to get additional tool rests even though they fixed the banjo I found myself buying what I needed because what I had on my Nova did not fit the Grizzly. I have turned both pens and bowls now and I would not give up this lathe for any other. I really enjoy this lathe. I did buy the hydraulic lift table to help with the assembly because I had no one to help me with the assembly. I also used the hydraulic table to load the Nova on to the buyers truck.

I am currently sidelined from my shop because I am recuperating from foot surgery back in mid July.

Roger Chandler
09-15-2016, 1:57 PM
My G0766 has been a superb performer, and it has power, features and size that will run with most anything on the market. I just got a coring rig about 3 weeks ago after using one on a friends Robust American Beauty. With freshly cut box elder, we stalled his Robust AB [3 hp] and with a piece of spalted maple he gave me, that was much dryer, I did not stall my G0766 while coring. I know that any lathe can be stalled with too heavy a cut, and I have stalled my lathe with too heavy and agressive roughing cuts, but it has been a very rare occurance.

There were 2 units reported that had to have a new speed pot ordered, and one turner reported a live center that had a little wobble and was replaced by Grizzly. No more issues than with any other Asian make I suppose.

I have had two large blanks on my G0766 that were nearly 100 lbs. when starting, and the lathe handled them well. The 0766 has a 25mm tool post hole in the banjo, but most of us have enlarged it to 1 inch with a twist drill bit to accommodate aftermarket rests etc.

Come on over to the GGMG and join 190 other Grizz owners, and you will see a lot of info.

brian zawatsky
09-15-2016, 4:50 PM
I love mine. Took delivery of it in May, so it appears that all the issues others have had have been addressed, or perhaps I just got lucky and got a machine made on a Wednesday lol.

I've turned probably 50 bowls since I got it, the largest about 16" in diameter. I have only done a very small bit of spindle turning on it but had no issues/runout/vibration at 2800 rpm.

I laid a couple 2x10's across the leg assembly and put 100lbs of sand over either leg, made all the difference in the world.

Edit to say that I have zero regrets. I would buy this lathe again tomorrow with no hesitation.

Brice Rogers
09-15-2016, 5:16 PM
The G0766s that were shipped in August and September 2015 had some irritating issues (banjo, tool post, banjo washer, undersize and sloppy spindle threads....). And the first ones shipped were about 2" taller than the current shipments.

But if you were to buy one now, all of those issues have been corrected (assuming that you receive a unit for the current production).

I have not been bashful about sharing my original issues on this forum and have been critical at times. Perhaps overly critical. But I have to agree with Roger and others that you will get a lot of bang-for-the-buck out of this lathe. It is probably the best lathe at that lower price point. If I were to get another lathe at this price point, it would probably be another Griz G0766.

William McAnelly
09-15-2016, 8:45 PM
I had to change out the speed pot on mine and some times I have to unplug the machine to get the spindle to turn on the first startup of the day seams to work fine ifit has run for awhile. But I dont think I could have gotten a better lathe in the price range I could spend, so far I love it.

Gary Baler
09-16-2016, 6:13 AM
I guess that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the money. Beats $5-6,000 for some of the others. Thanks for all your input.

Mark Greenbaum
09-16-2016, 1:39 PM
I ordered my G0766 in May 2015, but told Grizzly not to deliver until I had made my move to a different house. During the time from order to delivery, the short banjo cropped up (with a tool post stop also being too tall). I fired off a letter to their Customer Service with attention to "Papa Grizzly" stating that I wanted the banjo shortfall issue addressed, and to have my unit opened and inspected for transport damage. As a result, the subsequent re-designed banjos were manufactured and shipped out to all early purchasers, and my unit arrived in very good condition on August 16th, 2015. I have turned maybe 10 bowls up to 16" diameter and a few platters and lots of small vessels. I did experience a defective speed pot, which was very quickly sent out, as well as touch up paint, and spindle and bearing (pre-emptive strike). It's a joy, and their Customer Service is very efficient. My regrets are: every time I go past that darned thing I feel compelled to turn a piece of wood, and now other hobbies are falling to the wayside. I hope you enjoy your new machine as much as I do.

Tim Passmore
09-16-2016, 2:06 PM
I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.

Mark Greenbaum
09-16-2016, 2:09 PM
Get on their catalog email list, and occasionally there is a $25 off coupon code for shipping. Fine woodworking magazine has had other discounts, only once per year is what I've been told.

Jeramie Johnson
09-16-2016, 2:26 PM
Early adopter here. Dealt with the wrinkles (live center, banjo, pot) and am still very happy. Customer service was excellent through it all.

With the savings, I was also able to add a 17" bandsaw, coring rig, vac chuck, and lots of nice tools. In my case, I would not have acquired all the other items if I went a different route.

Jay Runde
09-16-2016, 4:48 PM
I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.

There is a coupon for 10% off orders of $200 or more placed before 10/31/2016 on the October edition of Woodworkers Journal I received in the mail. I doubt that I use it at this point. If you would like it, please let me know and I'll send you the code.

Tim Passmore
09-16-2016, 5:05 PM
Jay-----that would be wonderful. You can text me at (765) 546-2961
THANKS!

Ben Hammock
01-16-2021, 9:20 AM
How would fill in you purchased a new grizzly lathe in November. it is January 16 and it is still not working due to missing parts?

Brice Rogers
01-16-2021, 5:42 PM
I'm not sure if I understood your first sentence.

But I found Griz to eventually make me a happy camper. And the lathe has worked well for at least 4 years and still going strong.

Did you receive the lathe with parts missing? If so, what was missing? Or was something defective and needed to be replaced. Did you post because you wanted some advice or did you post because of your frustration with having missing parts?

tom lucas
01-16-2021, 6:59 PM
This is an old thread..... Anyway, I've had my G0766 for about 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. Does what it's supposed to do. No issues thus far.

Roger Chandler
01-16-2021, 9:58 PM
I wonder if Ben's lathe is the G0766 or another model? Grizzly will do right by him, if he calls customer service, and the unit is under warranty. If he got a used lathe from someone [not saying that is the case] but if so, then Grizzly will help him with parts, but he would have to pay for the needed parts.

Robert D Evans
01-17-2021, 4:14 PM
I had mine about 18 months and it's been a good one. I'm still happy with my purchase. With 22" of swing and 3 hp, I don't have to worry about running out of capacity with anything I'll attempt.

Ben Hammock
01-18-2021, 12:56 PM
i Bought a shop fox 22 x 42 on November 10 th. It arrived about i week later and the crate was busted open and many parts missing, drive and tail centers, feet and many others. The major part missing was the complete banjo. I called and they said they would send missing parts 2 parts had to be ordered from China. Jump to January 11 2021 parts arrived the banjo was disassembled and the steel shaft that you tighten was about 5" too short. I called Grizzly and told them about the short shaft.Now I am told they had to order from China again and they hope it will be in a shipment on February 11 2021 if not in that shipment the next shipment will be on February 28 2021. Without that one part the Lathe is USELESS! 4 months seems a little excessive for a lathe i paid for the first of November.
I wish I had bought something from another manufacture.

David Walser
01-18-2021, 1:17 PM
Powermatic has a 10% off promotion going on now. That is, Craft Supplies USA will give you a $450 gift card when you buy the Powermatic 3520C at its $4,500 price.

Alex Zeller
01-18-2021, 3:07 PM
Never accept a crate that's busted open. Don't sign until you see the crate. It's sad but most shipping companies treat their cargo like crap. As much as it sucks to have to wait for it to be shipped a second time it's much easier than fighting to get the parts needed to repair something.

Chris A Lawrence
01-18-2021, 5:24 PM
Never accept a crate that's busted open. Don't sign until you see the crate. It's sad but most shipping companies treat their cargo like crap. As much as it sucks to have to wait for it to be shipped a second time it's much easier than fighting to get the parts needed to repair something.

Same here if i am not home to accept the delivery the person home has strict orders not to accept if there is anything more then a scuff or ding in the crate. If it was packaged like my 766 was it would take some serious impact to bust through 1/2 inch plywood and the million nails they used to put it together.

Robert D Evans
01-19-2021, 11:51 AM
I've only had my G0766 for about 18 months. It has been a great lathe and was the most bang for the buck. I would buy it again. I did replace the pot a few months ago but that was only about $2.50 from Grizzly. Easy fix. Apparently that's a consumable item so I ordered an extra to keep on hand.

Alex Zeller
01-19-2021, 1:41 PM
I've only had my G0766 for about 18 months. It has been a great lathe and was the most bang for the buck. I would buy it again. I did replace the pot a few months ago but that was only about $2.50 from Grizzly. Easy fix. Apparently that's a consumable item so I ordered an extra to keep on hand.

I replaced my pot with a larger one I got from Amazon right off the bat. Never had an issue with it. Lately I've been doing other projects so the lathe is being used as a 20" disc sander so I'm always adjusting the pot.

Mike Goetzke
01-19-2021, 2:55 PM
Same here if i am not home to accept the delivery the person home has strict orders not to accept if there is anything more then a scuff or ding in the crate. If it was packaged like my 766 was it would take some serious impact to bust through 1/2 inch plywood and the million nails they used to put it together.

Also don’t want warranty clock started until you have a functioning tool.

Brice Rogers
01-19-2021, 10:10 PM
Ben, my own experience with Griz tech support was that it helps to be somewhat assertive or insistent (not abrasive though) and if a tech said he would check something for me, I would call him back if he didn't call me. So I called a bunch of times and kept notes. I guess that I was the squeaky wheel. If I were you, by now I would have implored Griz to take a banjo off another lathe. The other thing that I would do is to escalate your problem to the tech's manager.

BTW, after Griz corrected my issues, they also sent me a gift certificate for $100. So, I thought that, overall, Griz went out of their way to make me a happy camper.

John K Jordan
01-20-2021, 5:59 PM
...the banjo was disassembled and the steel shaft that you tighten was about 5" too short. I called Grizzly and told them about the short shaft....

You shouldn't have to do it, but someone with welding and metal-working skills and a short piece of steel the same diameter might be able to modify that banjo enough to use it until the right one comes.

Alex Zeller
01-20-2021, 8:46 PM
I think I would tell Grizzly I was returning it unless they gave me a good discount. Then I would order a banjo from OneWay and be happy with the upgrade. That assumes everything else works on the lathe.

Jack Lilley
01-25-2021, 8:17 PM
I sold my G0766 after 1 year and got a Laguna 18/36, it's been an awesome lathe.

Brice Rogers
01-25-2021, 8:53 PM
Jack Lilley, I'm curious why you sold your G0766 and what on the Laguna lathe do you consider superior?

Richard Coers
01-25-2021, 10:14 PM
i Bought a shop fox 22 x 42 on November 10 th. It arrived about i week later and the crate was busted open and many parts missing, drive and tail centers, feet and many others. The major part missing was the complete banjo. I called and they said they would send missing parts 2 parts had to be ordered from China. Jump to January 11 2021 parts arrived the banjo was disassembled and the steel shaft that you tighten was about 5" too short. I called Grizzly and told them about the short shaft.Now I am told they had to order from China again and they hope it will be in a shipment on February 11 2021 if not in that shipment the next shipment will be on February 28 2021. Without that one part the Lathe is USELESS! 4 months seems a little excessive for a lathe i paid for the first of November.
I wish I had bought something from another manufacture.
You aren't the first person that had delays while rebuilding a brand new Grizzly machine.