PDA

View Full Version : Bradford pear bowl

Jim Ketron
09-29-2005, 6:11 PM
This Bradford Pear bowl has some curl in it but I cant get it to show in the pics.
I cored one bowl with the McNaughton from this blank, so this one will have a smaller brother.
It measures 10" X 3 3/4" Finish is Rocklers gel poly buffed on the Beall

Michael Stafford
09-29-2005, 8:12 PM
Bradford pear is an interesting turning wood that I have not considered. Around here they get damaged in storms when they get to any size at all so I will have to get some seeing what a nice bowl you found in a piece. Jim, very nice bowl! :)

Carole Valentine
09-29-2005, 9:25 PM
Nice one, Jim! Did you rough turn that when green? I have found Bradford to be awful about cracking. I finally conquered it through boiling then soaking in DNA. The piece I auctioned for the Katrina Benefit at WC was Bradford Pear. It turns like butter when green!

Jim Ketron
09-29-2005, 9:35 PM
Yep, Very green! then soaked in DNA.
I had no problems

Robert Watsek
09-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Very nice Jim, great finish and shape.:cool:

Havent tried turning any of the fruit woods yet, have to get to it.

Bob

John Hart
09-30-2005, 7:28 AM
I like it Jim. It's a little hard to see the curl but I can mak out some of it. How's that gel poly to work with?

Jim Ketron
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
John its the simplest finish I have ever used! I dont know about the durability of it but it seems to be good so far.

Just wipe it on and wipe the excess back off, let it dry 24 hrs and repeat if ya want.

Chris Barton
09-30-2005, 4:29 PM
Hi Jim,

This bowl looks great. I have tried B-pear and it is a dream to turn but, I have a problem with it turning colors from a warm yellow ivory to a muddy gray-orange. Do you have a solution to this?

Jim Ketron
09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Chris this was my first time turning Bradford pear, so I dont have much experience with it. all I did was rough it out soak it in DNA and let it dry.

Ernie Nyvall
10-01-2005, 2:42 PM
Great looking bowl Jim.

Hey, on that McNaughton coring system, how fast do you turn using that contraption.

Ernie