PDA

View Full Version : plane blade

martin baker
09-13-2016, 6:18 AM
Hi good people, I'm planing to make a chamfer plane , the body will be in wood, & for the blade, I was considering using a cutter from a moulding head. The metal is soft enough to drill through without any difficulty & are of the re-sharpenable type, would anyone know if this would be suitable for a plane blade or would it need harding ? Thanks, Martin.

Dean Lapinel
09-19-2016, 1:50 AM
I think it would be best to decide on what steel to use, buy some from vendors like the new jersey barron, shape it then learn to heat treat or send it out for proper HT (about $10). I like the simple high carbon steels. 1084 is easier to HT but I lean toward 1095 even though it requires a more expensive oil for the fast quench.

Frederick Skelly
09-19-2016, 6:29 AM
Hi Martin,
I made a chamfer plane last year. I found that it worked better when I hardened the steel, because the cutter held its edge far longer. The steps I followed were:
1. Shape the cutting edge square
2. Shape the bevel to the desired cutting angle. (Do not sharpen the edge, yet.)
3. Harden the steel. (Easy to do. There are many good explanations of how to do this online, if you need one.)
4. Sharpen the cutter.

There are other ways to do this. These are the steps that worked for me. The tool I made works extremely well.

Good luck!
Fred