PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner 16" bandsaw wheels - coplanar?

Amercian Schaferhund
09-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Greetings,
I recently acquired my grandfather's Walker Turner 16" bandsaw. The first time I got the opportunity to run the saw, I noticed that all of his old blades would wonder front to rear as the machine ran. If you are trying to make sense of this, imagine the blade moving forward of the thrust bearing by about an eighth of an inch and then back to making contact with the bearing face over and over as the wheels turn. Upon seeing this, I suspected that perhaps the old blades were beyond use and therefore ordered a new 1/2" Wood Slicer. After adjusting the tension wheel, I found that the Wood Slicer does the same thing, but on a much smaller scale - gap being less than a sixteenth of an inch. Any idea what is causing this? I checked the wheels for coplanar and found that they are not. I have read two trains of thought on coplanar; one being that the wheels must be and the other being that it depends on the saw (manufacturer). In addition to the blade moving back and forth, the blade leaves a terribly rough edge no matter the amount of tension I put on it. Should the wheels of this bandsaw be coplanar and if so, would the fact that they are not contribute to the rough cut? The Wood Slicer blade goes through wood like a hot knife through butter and with little to no drift so I don't think it has anything to with the blade itself. I would greatly appreciate any assistance I can get.

Terry Therneau
09-13-2016, 12:00 AM
The Walker Turner wheels tend not to be crowned. This is a frequent topic on the owwm.org site: type "walker bandsaw crown" in the search box there and you will find multiple discussions. I ran my 14" WT for several years as is, finally put a crown on it, and should have done it long before. The list members there have come up with many ways to crown a tire from sophisticated to Rube Goldberg; it is almost a running contest.
Once tuned up a WT bandsaw is hard to beat.

Terry Therneau

Amercian Schaferhund
09-13-2016, 1:39 AM
I appreciate the assistance Terry. If I am reading your feedback correctly, you are telling me that the blade movement - back and forth - is a matter of tire crowning? Regarding owwm.org, I am awaiting registration approval as a I had intended to ask much the same question there. Since you owned a WT bandsaw, do you know if the wheels are supposed to be coplanar with one another?

Geoff Crimmins
09-13-2016, 8:05 PM
If the blade moves band and forth with every rotation, then I would be inclined to say that the blade is not welded straight. If you are having problems getting the blade to track correctly then I would check to see if the tires are in good condition and are properly crowned. If you find that you need new tires, Woodworker's Toolworks sells tires specifically made to fit that bandsaw.

Erik Loza
09-13-2016, 8:12 PM
9/10 times, blade pulsation (back and forth movement) is the blade weld. If the machine has the wheels so far out that it is what is causing the blade movement, it would probably vibrate so much that it would walk across the shop on its own.

Erik

Carroll Courtney
09-15-2016, 5:17 PM
Could you take the blade and lay it out on back edge on a flat surface to check?If your not comfortable crowning your tires you can also send them to Bobby at Woodworkers tool work and he will put on a new set made for that saw and crown them for you.This is a service that he offers which is how he makes a living,so cost would be involved.But doing so they will be perfect,and last a life time.That saw is worth the investment,which a 16"WT is on my Christmas list for last several yrs so I guess I been a bad boy:(