PDA

View Full Version : Just to be sure.....

Wilbur Harris
09-12-2016, 7:22 PM
I test fire my laser tube with a piece of tape on the first mirror tube side - no mark. The tube has some light in it but I get no burn on the tape. Is there something else possibly wrong or do I simply need to buy a tube?

Bert Kemp
09-12-2016, 7:47 PM
how old is the tube? have you tried engraving or cutting with it?

Wilbur Harris
09-12-2016, 8:17 PM
Yes...and it won't make a hint of a mark on tape placed at the tube mirror when test fired. It's a couple of years old...maybe a little less...maybe a little more.

Bert Kemp
09-12-2016, 8:37 PM
any bugs or debris in the end of the tube

David Somers
09-12-2016, 8:41 PM
Wilbur. Since you have 2 tubes can you fire the second tube? Is that working OK? You might watch it if it does work and note the light in the tube to compare against the non working tube.

I am afraid I dont have any experience with a dual tube machine. I dont know if there is a separate power supply and/or controller for each or if they share one supply and/or controller. Can anyone answer this?

Also, do you have a miliamp meter on the tube(s). If yes, is it showing a power level you expect for a test?

Rich Harman
09-12-2016, 9:33 PM
I test fire my laser tube with a piece of tape on the first mirror tube side - no mark. The tube has some light in it but I get no burn on the tape. Is there something else possibly wrong or do I simply need to buy a tube?

When you hit the "fire" button does it fire for as long as you hold the button, or does it fire for a short blip? Using the LCD you can set it either way. I have mine set to fire for a short time. So short that I hit the button a couple times before a mark appears.

Wilbur Harris
09-12-2016, 10:11 PM
David...the tubes have separate everything. :) Additionally, the 100W tube gave up pretty quickly and I've been running on the 80W for sometime now.

I'll check for a bug and hit that fire button several times to make sure...will report when done.

Bill George
09-13-2016, 9:19 AM
Power supply for each tube I assume? Since the first tube died I would guess this is the same age and is due to be replaced. Two years is a long time for glass water cooled tube.
You could swap power supplies over to test fire, but the 100 watt is set different for output. No mark on the first masking tape is a good clue its either dead or you have issues with the power supply or other.

Wilbur Harris
09-13-2016, 1:56 PM
I swapped to the 100W leads on the 80W tube and got no output mark on the masking tape. Pretty sure the tube is gone. I'm going to wait until somebody gets here to press the test button while I watch the tube but that's simply wishful thinking.

Pretty sure I'm going to try an EFR tube this time through. Will and EFR tube "drop in" or do I need something else?

Kev Williams
09-13-2016, 3:06 PM
have you checked the easy stuff?

- door interlock switch if equipped-
- fire button bad? (try just engraving something with the tape by the next mirror)
- laser switch on, or bad? (if equipped)
- water safety switch bad, or no water flow from chiller?
- E-stop button pressed? (some will shut down just the laser and not the whole machine)
- loose wire on the tube?

Wilbur Harris
09-13-2016, 8:25 PM
Kev - I checked all that stuff hoping to find a problem.

The tube lights up pretty good when my wife pushes the "Pulse" button but no mark on the masking tape. I don't understand how that can be...but it is!

Dave Sheldrake
09-13-2016, 9:43 PM
if you put an 80 watt into a 100 watt machine without adjusting the current it has likely killed the tube. It's also *possible* to kill the power supply as well. So it could be the tube, the PSU or both.

Brent Franker
09-13-2016, 10:17 PM
Did you maybe change mirrors at the same time? I got sent a bad or wrong mirror. Tried numerous things and could never get more than just a mark on the wood even though it would easily burn through tape at all locations/mirrors I tried during the alignment process. Ended up doing an extended vector cut at 100% power for over 10 seconds. Smelled something and investigated. The plastic thumbscrew that held the mirror in place in the head started to melt. The mirror in the head was all cracked in a circular pattern that was slightly off center (right where the laser was impacting I'm guessing). I took that mirror out and put an old mirror back in and all worked just fine again. I really don't know what was wrong with that mirror as it looked brand new when I put it in. Maybe different types of lasers use different kinds of mirrors and I got the wrong one? Don't know... just know I was sent 4 mirrors and 3 worked fine and the 4th did redirect the beam fine but somehow "absorbed" all the power. LOL

Bill George
09-14-2016, 9:16 AM
He put the masking tape on the first mirror..... if no mark and the tube fires it rules out all the rest of other mirrors and optics.

Joseph Shawa
09-14-2016, 9:24 AM
Kev

The tube lights up pretty good when my wife pushes the "Pulse" button but no mark on the masking tape. I don't understand how that can be...but it is!

When my tubes have gone bad they don't light up so much. Maybe an internal mirror in the tube is damaged. Perhaps contaminated gas? Dirt? Out of your control nonetheless. Warranty?

Matt McCoy
09-14-2016, 9:59 AM
What color is the light in the tube?

Wilbur Harris
09-14-2016, 1:22 PM
I've removed the tube but I'm pretty sure the color was blue. It lit up partially when connected to the 80W power supply but completely when connected to the 100W power supply. The masking tape had no mark in either case. I think I need a new tube and in the process of ordering one.

Who sells EFR tubes the cheapest? The cheapest I've found is bjefr...com. Can I simply replace the RECI tube with an EFR tube or is there something else involved?

Keith Winter
09-14-2016, 4:18 PM
eBay efr tubes if you need just one. Last I checked 6 Mo ago you had to buy multiples to go direct.

Joseph Shawa
09-14-2016, 4:37 PM
Pretty sure I'm going to try an EFR tube this time through. Will and EFR tube "drop in" or do I need something else?

Just check you MA so you don't exceed the working amperage. I have an EFR tube and it works fine. The power supply they sold me fires at FULL POWER for several seconds by itself on power up. EFR says it is normal, so I have to recommend against their power supply if you do need a new one. I purchased another one from LaserSPT and if works perfectly.

Kev Williams
09-14-2016, 5:21 PM
Fires at full power on power up for several seconds? Sounds just a snick dangerous...

Jeff Body
09-14-2016, 5:23 PM
eBay efr tubes if you need just one. Last I checked 6 Mo ago you had to buy multiples to go direct.

WOW on Ebay those tubes run about $1000 for 1 80w shipped.

Wilbur Harris
09-14-2016, 6:05 PM
I may be emailing back and forth with someone that doesn't work there! I'll be somewhat careful...somewhat is the best you can do when sending money to China. If I have to buy more than one I'll simply go with a RECI.

Bill George
09-14-2016, 7:40 PM
Do you need two tubes? I would check with LightObject dot com, they are honest and fair may not be the cheapest. Marco goes over to China at least once per year to see what is new on the market and who is making what the best.

He carries a 80 watt for $650 plus shipping, but does not list the RECI power supply?

Keith Winter
09-14-2016, 9:20 PM
Bought my last tube from "sign-in-china" off ebay $1300 for 130w. You can buy it from their site on google but you won't have the protection of paypal if it breaks in transit. That's part of the premium you're seeing for eBay tubes, piece of mind. Shipping is the real killer on these things...
Light object might be a good alternative as bill said.

Wilbur Harris
09-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Yep, shipping! They may be using "shipping" as part of the actual cost of the tubes. If you buy two tubes, you get a $65 break on the shipping...so the guy said. That doesn't seem just right to me but I don't sell laser tubes and don't know the ins and outs.

Y'all know more than I do so I might just buy from Ebay or Lightobjects and be more sure I'll end up with a tube.

Matt McCoy
09-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Bought my last tube from "sign-in-china" off ebay $1300 for 130w. You can buy it from their site on google but you won't have the protection of paypal if it breaks in transit. That's part of the premium you're seeing for eBay tubes, piece of mind. Shipping is the real killer on these things...
Light object might be a good alternative as bill said.

Sign-in-China accepts Paypal. You'll save a little money buying direct, but have to make sure they have their FDA form sent with the tube.