PDA

View Full Version : Cupola - function and beauty

George Matthews
09-29-2005, 4:49 PM
Like many freestanding garage workshop owners, I insulated and heat/air condition my shop. I installed a sheetrock ceiling and insulated it last Winter. I installed a folding ladder so I could access the roof space. The garage was built with eve ventilation, but nothing at the roof peak to vent the VERY hot and humid air. First I looked at the simple, but effective under-the-eves (near the peak) vents, but thought that wasn't enough of a challenge. Huh!

Then I came across this site...A wonderful collection of Cupolas!
Weather vanes of Maine (http://weathervanesofmaine.com/)

"I can build one of those..." and so I did. Like many things in life, not knowing the depth of a project is often better ;)
Many of those Cupolas that you see are more decoration and no function. Mine had to look good and vent!

I started by creating a detailed, full scale plan.
The Cupola is built in three parts. Top, vent and base. This also makes the installation easier, in that the base is installed over the hole in the roof first and the other pieces can be safely dragged up the roof and mounted.

An early design decision was to use copper sheet for the roof. However it is VERY expensive, close to $10 ft2. I swung by my local salvage yard and found some perfectly good 'scrap' for what amounted to $1 ft2.

I built most of the structure from 2x6 rough pine, and milled down pieces to suit. The roof truss are 2x4 spruce, and the plywood 3/8 spruce. Anything exposed and unpainted was coated with Woolman preservative.

I reasoned that the louvered vent finished size may vary a few millimeters so I built them first. Then the remaining vent support frame. I used Titebond III for most joints, with a few brads/clamps to hold the pieces until the glue cured. The entire vent section was painted prior to assembly.

The roof construction was a project all by itself. I cut the roof truss on a bandsaw, and 'fine tuned' the bevels with a belt sander. The bevel angle changes as you reach the peak ( which was part of the fun ).

Attaching the copper to the truss wasn't that difficult. I laid the sheet against the truss and maked with a felt marker and cut the copper with tin snips. I then bent the 'lip' by hand between pieces of lumber. It is critical that the drip edge actually 'drips' and doesn't drizzle on the wood. A gap of 8 mm between the drip edge and the frame is reasonable. The copper is attached with 1 1/2 brass screws at the top of every 'leaf' covering the siliconed truss bevel. BTW, it's better to form a template for the corners and leaves from aluminum/tin flashing, then flatten and use it as a cutting template for the copper.

Once I approached the peak of the roof, the real fun began! I noticed that the commercial built cupola's use a fair bit of clear silicone to seal and that seemed reasonable. The design called for a copper ball at the peak. My wife and I spent what seemed like a great deal of time trying to find a copper ball, until I realized that it would be nearly impossible to cut a 3/4 hole in it. That led to "how to hammer copper" learning curve. After Googling the web, I soon learned that heating the sheet to red hot softens copper and it is easier to form ( pound with a hammer).

Well... It took four evenings of heat/pound/heat to produce two 'bowls'. I then made a joining strip of copper to help round it out. :rolleyes:

You may notice a short piece of 3/4 copper pipe in the photo. When I assembled the top a length of pipe was pushed into a hole in the base.
The lower half of the copper bowl (with hole) was placed over the pipe protruding from the roof. The hole in the bowl is big enough to hold the last four leaves in place. I pumped in the silicone and drill a small vent for future water leaks just above the silicone level. The the joining strip and top of the ball. (Yes I should have taken photos, but that silicone seems to stick to everything) Whew... I then cobbled together some smaller pipe and steel rod to attach a weather vane. The bottom of the roof has a compound crown moulding frame that slips over the vent section. That was the roof!

Next the base and the raising!
Stay tune.

Martin Lutz
09-29-2005, 4:55 PM
Wow, thats gorgeous, nice work.

John Gregory
09-29-2005, 5:05 PM
My wife is going to want one like that. Heck actually we both do. It would look great on our shop. I have plenty of venting, so it will just be for show. And your design is very showy. Awesome job

Karl Laustrup
09-29-2005, 5:08 PM
George, that is outstanding. What a really great idea and execution.

Waiting for the second installment.

Karl

Richard Wolf
09-29-2005, 5:20 PM
Very nice job.

Richard

Andy Hoyt
09-29-2005, 5:36 PM
Sweet!

I drive right past that weathervane shop (in Searsport, Maine) all the time and drool each time. They do great stuff and yours is right up there with them.

Bravo Zulu

Dale Rodabaugh
09-29-2005, 5:46 PM
Great job,very attractive,plus it is useful for venting.Cant ask for anymore than that.:) :D :p :cool:

Jim Becker
09-29-2005, 6:53 PM
Wow! That's really beautiful!! Great job.

George Matthews
09-29-2005, 7:04 PM
The base is made from 3/8 spruce ply and angled 10 degrees to provide a 'flare' on the roof. It just looks better than plumb sides, but oh so much more 'fun' to build! The corners are 3 by 1" pine glued to form an 'L'.

'Traditional' 6" primed, pine siding, with about 3 1/2" exposure is used to cover. I made mine by resawing 1x6 on the bandsaw and leaving the rough side in. BTW The rough saw surface is bennificial in that it prevent water from seeping up between the layers (capillary action) I used some construction adhesive on the siding.

Make the sides all the same, and cut the roof profile after finishing the siding.

I then constructed an angle gauge from two 1x3s and measured the roof profile. Transferred that to the base sides and cut.

I then hauled the base up to the 'chosen' position to check the fit.
BTW, the 'chosen' position should be negotiated with the signifcant other prior to installation. :rolleyes: A little more triming and lower to the shop and add flashing around the base. I sprayed my flashing black to hide it from view.

Finish painting, add aluminum screen to vents, and a final test fit all sections in the shop. Four screws one in the top and bottom of each post in the vent section are pre-drilled and stuffed with 3 1/2 screws, ready for final drive home. (fumbling for srews on the roof is not advised)

From inside I drilled a 1/4 hole through the garage roof peek, dead centre, between the roof truss. The base is hauled up, centred between the pilot hole, leveled and scribed the outline on the shingles. I used four short 2x2s attached to the roof with screws to hold the base. (The base is sized to span the truss centers, in my case 24". I then cut a hole in the roof inside using six 3/4 holes as guides. The flashing is 'tacked' to the shingles with blobs of roof caulk to keep the bugs/bees/wasps from crawling in under base.

All this 'sounds' like fun, but these trips up/down the roof should taken with care. Tips: I screwed temporary 2x4 'sleds' to the bottom of each piece and pulled them up with an attached rope. It also helps to have the 'significat other' standing by to call 911 and/or Advil :p

The vent section was screwed and caulked to the base. The roof slips over the vent section and is screwed home from inside. keep disassembly in mind for maintenance.

It took only 1 1/2 hours to install...
Last night we had torrential rains and heavy wind... no leaks!

It sure looks good, and it vents! :)

Vaughn McMillan
09-29-2005, 7:44 PM
Wow, excellent job all around! Thanks for sharing the pics.

- Vaughn

George Matthews
10-01-2005, 8:36 AM
Thanks for all your compliments.

The final touch was to 'dress up' the rooster. The flat black, just didn't do it for me, so I brought the rooster to life with some red, yellow, green and brown paint. 'Too much yellow...' is what my wife thinks?

Now which project next... :rolleyes:

PS The 'Bob the builder' scarf is my Grandson's inspiriation.
Two strips of duct tape on the knees is just a great way to save pants!

Karl Laustrup
10-01-2005, 11:15 AM
That really looks fantastic. Job well done.

Now, by the looks of the outside of your shop, we should have a complete picture tour of the inside. :D

Karl

aurelio alarcon
10-01-2005, 10:33 PM
absolutely beautiful!

Wes Bischel
10-01-2005, 11:10 PM
George,

Fantastic job - even more outstanding considering it's your first try with a lot of this! I wish my first trys looked so good!

Wes

Todd Burch
10-02-2005, 12:34 AM
That's inspiring George! Thanks for posting and all the pictures. Great job!! Todd

Norman Hitt
10-02-2005, 3:21 AM
Beautiful Job, George. It really looks nice up there, and I'll bet it's built better than the commercially built units, too.

Next time you have a project using a copper ball, you'll have to try out that method where you spin a disc of copper on a lathe, mounted over a hardwood ball half, and you use a rod to form it against the hardwood ball half Form. I've seen it done, and always wanted to try it, so if you do, let us know how it turns out. It is a really fast process, (Once you get the "hang" of it). ;)

George Matthews
10-02-2005, 8:41 AM
Next time you have a project using a copper ball, you'll have to try out that method where you spin a disc of copper on a lathe, mounted over a hardwood ball half, and you use a rod to form it against the hardwood ball half Form. I've seen it done, and always wanted to try it, so if you do, let us know how it turns out. It is a really fast process, (Once you get the "hang" of it). ;)

A lathe is a machine I wish I had, and will likely acquire one someday. When I was a kid my Dad had a shop full of metal working machines, including two lathes. I remember trying to spin aluminum, and it didn't turn out. :( I thought I'd try to spin the copper ball on my drill press, but chose to try and pound one out. It's probably a better method to spin, and I just didn't try enougn times when I was a kid I guess.

I was even thinging of making a new Goose weather vane, but that thought waned after my hammering experience. Of course these ideas have a tendency of coming back, and I wouldn't shy away from using copper and other metals in future projects.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-04-2005, 7:55 AM
Nice Cupola!

I recently built a cupola also. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it handy. Below are some CAD drawings that look pretty darn close.

My cupola was made in three parts: roof, body and base. It is being stored until I have a new roof put on my house. For materials, I made everything out of composite lumber (Trex) because I dread the thought of having to go on the roof to paint it. Since it is composite, it is very heavy. The roof is arched plywood that will be covered with roof shingles to match the main house's roof. Although it can function to ventilate the attic, I will probably just keep it decorative.

cheers, Jeff

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Cupola-3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Cupola-2800x640.jpgNice

George Matthews
10-04-2005, 8:08 AM
Nice Cupola!

I recently built a cupola also. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it handy. Below are some CAD drawings that look pretty darn close.

I really like the design and the detail. Look forward to some pictures once you manage to mount it on the new roof.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-04-2005, 8:35 AM
Beautiful work George!! I really like the copper roof!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-04-2005, 8:38 AM
Now that is plain cool! Great job on it, I am sure it really dresses up your shop!!

Aaron Montgomery
10-04-2005, 8:47 AM
Nice job! It looks great!

Keith Burns
10-04-2005, 10:15 AM
That is one FINE looking addition ! I have a non-functional one on my shop. Wish it looked half that good.

Bill Lewis
10-04-2005, 2:38 PM
Jeffrey,

What CAD/Arch program did you use to "draw" and render your cupola/house?

Roy Wall
10-04-2005, 3:57 PM
George,

That is awesome! Looks great - thanks for the post!

Jeffrey Makiel
10-05-2005, 7:13 AM
Bill,

It's AutoCAD 2002 straight out of the box (no attachments)
-Jeff