PDA

View Full Version : Bending Hard Maple

James Tibbetts
09-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Just a general question. How well suited to steaming and bending for use in chair parts is hard maple. I'm thinking kitchen type chairs as opposed to Windsors.

Mel Fulks
09-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Most steam bending is done with wood that is not dry, the steam doesn't penetrate and plasticize kiln dried wood. I think you would have to use freshly cut stuff to have a chance.

James Tibbetts
09-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks Mel. I have access to a hard maple log that went down in a storm 2 years ago. It's still off the ground.. sitting on the root ball on one end and the brush top on the other.
Do you think it may fall into the realm of "fresh" even at this point ?

Jamie Buxton
09-12-2016, 12:41 AM
It certainly isn't dry, so it should bend okay. The bigger worry is that it might be bug-eaten, or have lots of surface-checking. You won't know about that until you cut into it.

James Tibbetts
09-12-2016, 1:00 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going after it when the creepy crawly things are gone for the winter. (timber rattlers and copper heads !)

roger wiegand
09-12-2016, 8:32 AM
Not knowing any better at the time, I've bent kiln dried curly maple for banjo rims (11 in circle with 1/4 in plies). I steamed it for a fairly long time under pressure (in an autoclave), and then had about a minute of working time to get it bent and clamped. Not easy, but doable. Air dried or green would probably have been easier.

Mike Henderson
09-12-2016, 8:51 AM
If steam bending doesn't work, you can laminate bend it. That will work with just about any wood - just a bit more work.

Mike

James Tibbetts
09-12-2016, 2:14 PM
Lots of good thoughts and ideas as always. I'l probably kick this back to the top after I get some of the lumber.
Thanks to all.