PDA

View Full Version : Moving a SawStop PCS and Hammer A3-31 in a UHaul trailer

Matt Przybylski
09-11-2016, 9:07 PM
I'm moving cross country and have decided that the best way to move these two machines is in a UHaul with a low deck hitched to my Ram 1500 truck. I'm facing a few issues and would like to discuss them (read: get reassurance that I'm not crazy or going to completely destroy my machines). The SawStop is roughly 350lbs and the A3-31 is 530lbs.

I was thinking of buying a winch, hooking it up somewhere in the trailer, then wrapping slings around my machines and connecting them to the winch. Is this a good/bad idea?

Secondly, I was going to buy an aluminum ramp (something like this: http://www.discountramps.com/ez-acesstrifold_ramp/p/Trifold-AS/). My worry is the wheels on the SawStop are not that high (nor are the great lakes casters on my A3-31) so, with a 5' variant of that ramp, and I asking for trouble and scratching the bottom of the machines? I don't even know how feasible it is for the machines to start going up the ramp properly. How would you make the transition from solid ground to start of ramp so as not to wreak havoc?

I had considered using my 1 ton hoist to lift the machines into the trailer but a UHaul has a 4'10" opening and I'm not sure with everything attached if clearances will be a problem. I need to get all of this correctly set up on the first try because we're closing on our house right after I plan to move these machines out and I may not have a lot of time to come up with a secondary plan if something fails.

Also of note is that at my destination I will not have as much help as I will here when loading (probably only one other person) so it's critical that I am able to safely get the machines off of the trailer and into the new house as well. Please keep that in mind when making suggestions.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I don't have experience moving heavy machinery and I've always gotten help getting the machines into my garage. With the limitations of the UHaul trailer size I feel even more pressured and I can't tell if I'm just completely overthinking this whole thing or if my worries are valid.

Robin Frierson
09-11-2016, 9:17 PM
They rent a low deck uhaul with a very nice ramp attached, like 4ft and not that steep. For that long of a drive I would get a dual axle. I would either roll them up on their wheels or rent a pallet jack and get them up there that way. I have a long 6ft lift bar and you can lift your machines up enough to get two by fours underneath them if you go the pallet jack route.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/HO/

Matt Przybylski
09-11-2016, 9:26 PM
Robin, I can't use an open trailer like that. The drive will be 2, possibly 3 days long and I don't want to get rained on (I'll also have some other stuff on the trailer, its the 6x12 covered UHaul).

And as far as using a pallet jack, I'd still have to get the machine onto the pallet jack (probably a pallet), rent a pallet jack here and at destination, and try to wheel it up a ramp? Not sure I'd feel comfortable doing that... Is there a different way I'm not thinking about using a pallet jack?

mreza Salav
09-11-2016, 9:44 PM
Do you have good moving dolly? HF has a small one rated at 1000# (sale $10) that I have used to move some heavy stuff with. Or make one yourself using some good casters. Lift the machines little by little and put some 2x4 or 4x4 under them to slide the dolly under, strap the dolly to the machine, move it up a ramp into the trailer, and repeat. I have use Uhaul trailers a lot to move machines.

Moving this 800# edge sander was a bit more difficult alone...

Matt Day
09-11-2016, 9:46 PM
These machines aren't really that heavy. For the TS, I'd take off the wings, strap it to a hand truck, and get it in the trailer, probably with a supported plywood ramp (2x4's below stacked as necessary). $230 for a ramp is expensive. Harbor freight has an open grate one for $90, put a piece of plywood over it and save $100.
The J/p should work that way too, will just probably take a helper.
If there's an anchor point at the front of the trailer you could hook up a come along and make it a one man job.
I've had good luck with a standard p handle hand truck. Load it on, strap it down, lower the handle to the ground, hook up the come along to the handle, and let the handle slide along the ramp.

Len Roberts
09-11-2016, 9:57 PM
Matt,
You might consider a Pensky or other rental truck that has a hydraulic lift. I used a transmission jack (and strap around entire machine- do not lift on inflow-outflow beds) that I rented to move a A3-41 Hammer JP, but I had an open trailer and my son to help me swing it around on the trailer while PJ was hanging in air. Your closed UHaul is more of an issue for any lift. The vertical opening of trailer vs a transmission car jack rental lift height may give you a clue if it will work. A rental or other truck with a hydraulic lift, you could put it on lift, and then back up to UHaul, for level transfer. My A3-41 wheels (from Hammer) move perpendicular to long axis of machine, so rolling straight in to a closed trailer is a challenge. My son and I did use a pallet jack to swing and move both the Hammer and my Saw Stop around when moving from one house to another, but I had a rented a Pensky truck with liftgate for the local move. Best of luck. PS - Pensky has a one way rental too.
One additional comment, if you have the mobile base under the PCS Saw stop -- put a strap under the mobile wheels and strap around the table top. That holds the wheels to the saw, so the saw does not come out of the wheel unit while trying to move it. Also, I hired local movers to move the house, and they helped with man-power, extra hands to maneuver the Hammer and Saw stop.
Good Luck

Andy Giddings
09-11-2016, 9:59 PM
Getting the machines onto pallets via a 3/4" ply ramp will be straightforward with a pallet jack, as long as you put some supports (2x4 etc) under the ramp and screw the ramp to the pallet to stop it moving. Plenty of cases where SMC members have moved heavier equipment using this method so 530lb especially with help should be simple.

If these were my machines, I'd prefer to take the wheels off them, then bolt them securely to a pallet and load that than rely on their portable wheels. Pallet jacks can be rented from Home Depot easily for the day. As long as the ramp into the U Haul is not too steep it shouldn't bottom out or be too hard to get into whichever trailer you choose. Getting them off at the other end should be even easier with the jack

Matt Przybylski
09-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Some great ideas here. Matt's post got me thinking about getting this: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-1-convertible-hand-truck-62369.html

Rich Riddle
09-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Put a sheet of plywood on the aluminum ramps and use the plywood at the other end when you make a project. I might be missing something on the Hammer though. Doesn't your hammer move with a small hand pulled extension as seen in the photo below?

John Lankers
09-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Matt, I went through a similar move - 6 hrs. not 2 days though. I had to load and unload a KF700 SP weighing 1600lbs, AD741 1200 lbs, bandsaw, drill press, workbench..., you get the picture. I bought a pallet jack, rented an enclosed trailer with loading ramp (car hauler), backed up to my old shop with the rear wheels of the truck on two 2 x 10 boards to tilt the ramp of the trailer to my advantage. I used a wedge cut from 3/4" OSB to be used as a smooth transition between the concrete floor and the loading ramp and just wheeled everything into the trailer with the pallet jack, just make sure to keep it close to the floor and have someone with a 2 x 4 as a lever to give a little push or keep it from rolling back down when necessary and always be ready to lower the pallet jack down just in case.
Take your time and don't rush it and put blocks under the rear corners of the trailer when loading.
Edit: load the equipment "longside" not sideways, it would be very tipsy and to dangerous on an incline.

Greg Parrish
09-12-2016, 7:38 AM
That same uhaul motorcycle trailer is exactly how I got my powermatic 66 home. I rented two bundles of blankets and took a ton of ratchet straps and bungie cords. Could have easily packed in a second tool. Just have to watch for rain with this style trailer.

Do you have good moving dolly? HF has a small one rated at 1000# (sale $10) that I have used to move some heavy stuff with. Or make one yourself using some good casters. Lift the machines little by little and put some 2x4 or 4x4 under them to slide the dolly under, strap the dolly to the machine, move it up a ramp into the trailer, and repeat. I have use Uhaul trailers a lot to move machines.

Moving this 800# edge sander was a bit more difficult alone...

Matt Przybylski
09-12-2016, 8:49 AM
Put a sheet of plywood on the aluminum ramps and use the plywood at the other end when you make a project. I might be missing something on the Hammer though. Doesn't your hammer move with a small hand pulled extension as seen in the photo below?

I do not have that on my Hammer, I opted for the casters like this instead: http://www.casterdepot.com/casters/leveling-casters/footmaster/gd-80s.html

Jim Becker
09-12-2016, 9:39 AM
Matt, break the saw down as much as practical...remove the extension wings and fence, for example, to make it more maneuverable as well as make it easer to secure in the trailer. A good hand truck and some helpers should make it relatively easy to get it on the trailer. The J/P is a little harder in that respect, but a come-along, dolly and some helper should allow you to roll it up into the trailer. Be sure you figure out the correct balance point for the trailer with that weight, too, while you are securing these tools for the ride. And secure them well. None of those little thin load straps...get "real" ones...the 3" wide type with solid connections that match the rails in the rental trailer and have a sturdy ratchet setup. These are the same type that are typically used to secure heavy loads to trucks.

Even though you don't "know" folks at the destination, you'll likely be able to find some teens or others to hire to help unload with little difficulty. Don't try and do it yourself.

Nick Stokes
09-12-2016, 11:53 AM
A man bought a table saw from me one time and secured it in the back of a uhaul cargo trailer. It was interesting watching him secure it.

He cut 2x4's the width of the trailer. He clamped the 2x4's to the top of the table saw such that they were touching both walls of the trailer. Made it such that the saw could not slide around, nor tip. It was wedged in place. On the bottom he actually screwed down the 2x4's to the floor... You could do the same to a piece of plywood the saw sat on. That sucker wasn't goin anywhere.

John Gornall
09-12-2016, 12:44 PM
When I move equipment I try to find out how the manufacturer did it. I have moved my A3 31 twiice and have to move it one more time. Each time it goes back on the factory metal pallet attached with the original clips and screws. I pull the pallet up or down my truck ramps by come along. The A3 31 fits in my short bed truck. It's too tall for the door of my truck cap but is ok once inside so I unbolt the cap, prop it on 2x4's, slide the palleted A3 31 into the truck, and drop the cap back onto the rails. I screw 2x4's to the pallet so it can't slide side to side or back and forth. It's stable on the pallet. If you don't still have the pallet perhaps your dealer has one.