PDA

View Full Version : Cutting carpet

John Lifer
09-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Hi guys. I just thought of a new use for the laser I'm looking forward to buying. I use a lot of carpet on one of my products. About a foot square. It would be great to put rounded corners on my parts. Is there any reason that a thin polyester carpet couldn't be cut? Minor back coating, is an indoor outdoor carpet.
Thanks John

Dave Sheldrake
09-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Impossible to say if it is safe without knowing the chemical make up of the material.

John Lifer
09-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Impossible to say if it is safe without knowing the chemical make up of the material.

K, I'll see what I can find on a msds. List just as polyester on Web....

Scott Marquez
09-10-2016, 11:26 AM
I use my laser to cut fabric and Velcro.
Depending on your material thickness, you may have to get a different lense with a longer focal distance.
Scott

Bert Kemp
09-10-2016, 2:25 PM
I would cut from the back side on the webbing if its safe to cut. set depth just enough to get thru the web .

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2016, 12:24 AM
I have done custom car floor mats cutting carpet.,I cut the logo out in one color, then again in another color, push it back into the first piece and add carpet tape to the back. Just cut it back side up, and experiment with scraps to get the settings right so you cut through the jute and don't burn the fibers.