PDA

View Full Version : Chuck and bandsaw suggestions

Bill Jobe
09-09-2016, 6:44 PM
I plan to buy a Grizzle g0766 and I'd like some advice as to what chuck to get.
Please give your opinion. No junk....as in no where near as bad as the one that came with my HF.

There's one that boasts quick change jaws with no hardware to mess with. Anyone here faniliar with it?

I'd also like advice as to what band saw to get. I atarted looking through them last night and was shocked at the prices.
I intend to make as large a bowl as the 0766 can turn, but also I want to be able to saw a deep one.

John K Jordan
09-09-2016, 10:36 PM
People seem to mostly recommend the chucks they have invested in. This may imply a lack of experience with the other brands since that gets expensive. Several people I know who have wider experience like the oneway and vicmark chucks.

I saw those quick change jaws - pretty expensive. I went a different route for several reasons. I like a different chuck for each set of jaws both to keep from having to change them and so I can leave multiple projects sitting around in chucks so I can work on one as I feel like it. (Once you remove a work from a chuck it is often impossible to mount it again in perfect registration.)

Also, some projects very much benefit from more than one chuck to hold two different parts or jigs, etc. My first chuck was a Teknatool supernova and I was happy with it so I stuck with that brand. These chucks are looked down on by some but they have done everything I have needed from tiny to large. I have three different styles, and a total of 14 chucks at the moment with a variety of jaws with some duplicates of my favorite sizes. I am NOT recommending you run out and buy multiple chucks right away - maybe just keep the usefulness in mind for the future. Some of my chucks I bought used and quite cheap, all of them accumulated over an extended period of nearly 15 years.

Again, with bandsaws many people will recommend what they have. That's fine, since nearly all of them except the toys will work fine once properly tuned and tensioned. I turned for years with the help of a Delta 12" with a riser block. The riser is helpful since it allows a 12" high cut. However, the saw I use the most now is an 18" Rikon, also with a 12" high cut capability but made with much heavier-duty parts and a stronger motor running off 220v. I process a lot of wood, green and dry. You can cut prepare nearly any size blank with a chainsaw and a 14" bandsaw but a larger saw is heavier and stronger and more fun to use with big wood and small.

JKJ