PDA

View Full Version : A bell for her 90th

Scott Hackler
09-09-2016, 5:48 PM
This project was created for my Grandmother who will celebrate her 90th birthday tomorrow (and I might add more active than most 70 year olds!). She has a couple very early bells that I made when I just got into piercing (using my Dremel tool) and when I asked her what she would like for her birthday, she said just make me something pretty. I think this should do. She has been a big part in my life and I would do almost anything for her.

Maple for the bell and padauk for the stem. Slightly below 1/8 thick on the bell walls. About 5-6 hours of piercing. Stands 8 3/4" tall and 2 3/4" wide at the bottom. Tung Oil Finish with Ren wax.

Hope I have to make her another one for her 100th! Love her to pieces.

Comment and complaints are welcome!

Sid Matheny
09-09-2016, 6:40 PM
She will be tickled pink! My dad is 96 and also going better than a lot of 70 year old folks I know.

Doug Ladendorf
09-09-2016, 6:55 PM
Lovely and delicate. She will love it.

Dok Yager
09-09-2016, 7:44 PM
She will Love it Scott! Hand made and delicate as well, how could she not love it You made it.

Roger Chandler
09-09-2016, 7:50 PM
Wonderful work Scott.......I know your grandmother will cherish it!

Curtis Myers
09-09-2016, 8:12 PM
Very nice. Photo saved for future reference.

Thomas Canfield
09-09-2016, 9:14 PM
Nice bell, and nice story. What is the tone quality????????? Sounds like she does not need it to get help. Look forward to the 100th bell.

John K Jordan
09-09-2016, 10:05 PM
This project was created for my Grandmother...
Maple for the bell and padauk for the stem. Slightly below 1/8 thick on the bell walls. About 5-6 hours of piercing. Stands 8 3/4" tall and 2 3/4" wide at the bottom. Tung Oil Finish with Ren wax.
Comment and complaints are welcome!

That's a beautiful work of art. My complaint is I don't have one of your incredible pieces in my collection.

Do you put clappers inside your bells? I know some people who make little bells (rather plain compared to yours) as Christmas ornaments but with no clappers.

JKJ

Billy Tallant
09-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Amazing work Scott! No doubt that your grandmother will cherish it.

daryl moses
09-09-2016, 10:17 PM
And another piece of art from Scott Hackler. Beautiful piece Scott, Grandma will love it!!

daryl moses
09-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Do you put clappers inside your bells? I know some people who make little bells (rather plain compared to yours) as Christmas ornaments but with no clappers.

JKJ
A couple of years ago I made a bunch of bells for an upcoming craft fair. [Not nearly as ornate as Scotts] I didn't put a clapper in any of them. The first thing that everyone who looked at them did was turn them upside down to see if there was one. The wife and I got a kick out of watching them. Needless to say, my next batch of bells all had a clapper in them.

Scott Hackler
09-09-2016, 11:25 PM
My early ones had a clapper, but this one doesn't. I didn't have time to source a teardrop crystal I had in mind and the fragile nature had me second guessing including it anyway.

Ron Stadler
09-09-2016, 11:53 PM
Beautiful Scott, she's gonna love it.

William C Rogers
09-10-2016, 7:39 AM
That is a beautiful piece. It is so well done top to bottom.

Al Launier
09-10-2016, 7:42 AM
Incredibly beautiful! Museum quality. She's gonna love it for sure.

John K Jordan
09-10-2016, 8:20 AM
My early ones had a clapper, but this one doesn't. I didn't have time to source a teardrop crystal I had in mind and the fragile nature had me second guessing including it anyway.

I never thought of using crystal. But you just gave me an idea - I've been turning colored acrylic lately and a sky blue clapper might be a nice surprise inside!

I have always made them out of wood, fairly lightweight, suspended with a piece of wire. Some people have mentioned they glue in a piece of fishing line but I haven't tried that. This is one that was broken on a trip so I cut it in half to show the construction:

A 1/8"- pierced wall would give me fragility worries!

Again, I admire your beautiful work of art.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
More beautiful work Scott! She will love it.
I'll look forward to her 100th and the bell you'll give her for it.
Fred

Scott Hackler
09-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Paul Engle
09-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Nice indeed , you need to do a tutorial on this type of turning / piercing .

Scott Hackler
09-12-2016, 12:17 AM
I do a demo and workshop covering this topic at symposiums and for clubs, but that is as an invited demonstrator (so I am not really the one who makes that call)! The Bayou Woodturners had me down to New Orleans last November for just that. Great fun down there and I think I started a few of them down the piercing path! It is a little difficult to do a "write up" on the topic and is more of a hands on....tricks of the trade, type deal. Thanks