PDA

View Full Version : Air assist issue

Scott Boatner
09-08-2016, 11:20 AM
I`m up and running my Trotec Speedy 400/80 as installed by the rep. I`m replacing the original 2.0 lens since its burnt, from what I can tell, I`m not getting any noticeable air assist from the on board unit and although I have a small compressor I`m still not getting any assist from it either. I read here that a lot of you are using strictly the on board assist, but some are using a compressor. I`m thinking I have a faulty floor compressor which will replaced today. I`m engraving and cutting mostly wood in thin thicknesses and a small amount of acrylic. I`m engraving on anodized aluminum as well. I have moved my compressor within 2 feet of my laser and will be moving my exhaust closer as well since I don't feel that I'm getting much smoke extraction. Any experience here would be most appreciated. Again, you guys share more real world knowledge here than tech support anywhere. Thanks.
Scott

Gary Hair
09-08-2016, 11:34 AM
As they come from the factory the on-board air is set extremely low. I adjusted mine to fully open and it made a big difference. Just checking - you are using the cone with air assist, correct? Air on = cone, air off = no cone. Unless you are cutting you don't need the cone or air assist.

If you have your own compressor then you could certainly use it instead of the on-board one, but I like being able to control it in software so I'd do whatever it took to get it working right.

will be moving my exhaust closer as well since I don't feel that I'm getting much smoke extraction

What type of exhaust are you using? Unless it is an extremely long distance away you probably won't gain much by moving it closer. It should keep the enclosure clear of smoke and you should see the smoke from the cut being drawn toward the vent. If not, you may need a more powerful exhaust.

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2016, 9:29 PM
As they come from the factory the on-board air is set extremely low. I adjusted mine to fully open and it made a big difference. Just checking - you are using the cone with air assist, correct? Air on = cone, air off = no cone. Unless you are cutting you don't need the cone or air assist.

If you have your own compressor then you could certainly use it instead of the on-board one, but I like being able to control it in software so I'd do whatever it took to get it working right.

What type of exhaust are you using? Unless it is an extremely long distance away you probably won't gain much by moving it closer. It should keep the enclosure clear of smoke and you should see the smoke from the cut being drawn toward the vent. If not, you may need a more powerful exhaust.
I agree, most likely not enough airflow on the exhaust. It should have at least enough power that a sheet of paper sticks to the air intake vents when the fan is on. As for tha air assist, I have mine set at 25 lbs and it works well.

Mike Null
09-09-2016, 8:21 AM
In case they didn't provide the air assist adjustment PDF I've attached it here. It's for a 300 but I would guess that they are the same.

Scott Boatner
09-09-2016, 9:13 AM
Thanks for the input, getting my new exhaust hooked up today and adjusting the on board air assist. Ill let you all know how it turns out.

Scott Boatner
09-09-2016, 4:14 PM
I discovered that my rep had attempted to install part of the gas assist system on my laser, in doing so most of the air was being back fed into the other tube. all of the fittings were leaking as well. We repaired all of these and insured that the line was free and clear and I adjusted the flow from the onboard pump. Much better now. We also installed a better exhaust setup to further help remove smoke. Hate to complain but these companies should do a better job of giving specific parameters on what is required above the price of the machine, its not the money but the hit and miss approach I have issues with.