PDA

View Full Version : Magswitch featherboards

Prashun Patel
09-08-2016, 9:00 AM
I am considering a Magswitch featherboard. The doublesided one can be used for my bandsaw and tablesaw. The "pro" tablesaw magswitch is one-sided (so I can't use it on the bandsaw) but has higher holding power than the double-sided one.

Does anyone have experience with these products?

Alan Trout
09-08-2016, 9:05 AM
I have had a double sided one for years and love it. It always worked exceptionally well. I have never used it on my bandsaw.

John Gornall
09-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Magswitch isn't very clear about the setup of their featherboards. I use the pro featherboard on my bandsaw. On top of the pro featherboard I use one of their "vertical" featherboards in a horizontal position attached using their black spacer blocks to make a double featherboard about 3 inches high.

The double sided featherboard is great on the tablesaw and on the router table (if your router table is magnetic). these were marketed in orange at the borg as a Ridgid product at one time - I got them for 5 bucks at clearout.

Ben Rivel
09-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I have almost their entire woodworking marketed product lineup. Start with the double sided one and if you watch eBay there was a Rigid brand version of it that sometimes pops up for as low as $20 and is almost always less than the retail price of theirs.

Bill McNiel
09-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Huge fan of Magswitch functionality with one slight reservation. Reversing the direction of the fingers when moving from TS to RS is kind of a hassle. Involves removing the 2 long socket screws which requires finding where I've hidden the requisite hex wrench.

Jack Clark
09-08-2016, 1:40 PM
Does anyone have experience with these products?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-MagSwitch-Plastic-Featherboard-AC1001/100618240

Been using one of these for years. Love it. The RIDGID one is made by Magswitch and costs much less. Relatively inexpensive way to get acquainted. :)

I think they're only available online. That is, the stores don't stock them (in my area anyway).

Rich Riddle
09-08-2016, 2:02 PM
I have the single sided Magswitch and have no idea why they would not work on your band saw; they work on mine.

Prashun Patel
09-08-2016, 2:26 PM
To be honest, Rich, I have a miterslot featherboard that has worked ok. It's starting to slip now and I really have to ratchet the knobs down to get it to stay put. I use mine on the b-saw and t-saw, but I have to flip the knobs. I find that irritating.

I have a minterslot doublesided one but it isn't long enough for narrower pieces on either machine. If the 'light weight' doublesided magswitch is forceful enough to hold rips and resaws snug, then I will very much appreciate it. Also, without those confounded miter slot bars hanging off all awkward, this thing should be easier to store.

Frederick Skelly
09-08-2016, 6:15 PM
I bit the bullet and bought 2 of the single sided ones about 18 months ago. I LOVE them.

Bill Conerly
09-08-2016, 10:05 PM
I made my own featherboards and clamped then onto my table saw. Once I got one that that fit in the miterslot, life was wonderful. Whichever method you use, don't mess around with clamps.

Bob Hoffmann
09-08-2016, 10:43 PM
I purchased the featherpro inserts and used the magswitch 150 lb versions ... I am very happy with the results ...

Cary Falk
09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
I have the Ridgid branded one and love it.

George Bokros
09-09-2016, 9:22 AM
I purchased the featherpro inserts and used the magswitch 150 lb versions ... I am very happy with the results ...

Did you make the mounting board for the feather pro insert?

Robin Frierson
09-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I got the double sided one and find it to have plenty of power. Use it on TS, BS and router table.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSZ7EC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ellen Benkin
09-09-2016, 4:39 PM
I have the double sided one and really like it. I think it's much easier than fitting a featherboard to a miter slot. Click it's on and click it's off.

John Gornall
09-09-2016, 5:13 PM
The photo at bottom right shows the stacked feather boards I use on my bandsaw:

http://magswitch.com.au/product/magswitch-vertical-featherboard-attachment-risers/

Gary Cunningham
09-09-2016, 6:08 PM
Huge fan of Magswitch functionality with one slight reservation. Reversing the direction of the fingers when moving from TS to RS is kind of a hassle. Involves removing the 2 long socket screws which requires finding where I've hidden the requisite hex wrench.

Yep. That gives me a reason to buy another one.
;)

John Gregory
09-09-2016, 6:26 PM
I have two of these and love them. I only use them on my TS. My bandsaw as a after market table

Bob Hoffmann
09-09-2016, 8:24 PM
Did you make the mounting board for the feather pro insert?

Yes I did ... just traced around the inserts on a piece of 3/4 ply an cut it out on a scroll saw. then drilled the holes for the magswitches ... took less than 1/2 hour to complete.

Rick Fisher
09-10-2016, 2:10 AM
I have the original black one, 2 sided .. love it .. stick it to the side of the bandsaw when not in use.

Prashun Patel
09-12-2016, 2:50 PM
Just got mine. It's PLENTY strong. I don't know why I didn't buy one 8 years ago.

Ben Rivel
09-12-2016, 4:35 PM
I have the original black one, 2 sided .. love it .. stick it to the side of the bandsaw when not in use.
Man I have been trying to find a black one FOREVER! By the time I found out about them they had long since converted to the ugly yellow ones. I have through watching eBay lucked out and bought almost all their woodworking featherboards and accessories brand new as old stock in black EXCEPT for the Universal (double sided) featherboard! Ive even been round and round with MagSwitch directly and they did try hard to find me an old stock black one but no luck. So I sit patiently waiting for someone to post one on eBay in new or very good condition. Obsessive I know, bit I just love that all my table saw accessories are black and match each other and my SawStop PCS.