PDA

View Full Version : Is the Delta 1172 better than the newer tenon jigs?

Kevin Perez
09-08-2016, 8:55 AM
Setting aside the question of whether a tenoning jig is necessary, etc., I'm wondering if the old-fashioned Delta 1172 jig is really any better in terms of functionality/precision over the new Delta/PM/Grizzly/Chinese jigs. I like the older stuff better generally because I find it to be better made, but the oldie is twice the price of the new one. Thanks!

Kevin

John Vernier
09-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I have an old 1172 jig and I have used the new type Delta jig. I like the older jig for its solidity. I appreciate the stability which all the extra mass gives, especially if I'm cutting a tenon in a long piece like a dining table stretcher. I would not say it is more precise in its adjustments (although the mass makes the very basic adjustments pretty smooth, once you get the knack), but all of the adjustability of the newer jigs is a two edged sword - I never have to check the 1172 to make sure that it is square. I found the adjustments of the new jig I used were dissapointingly wobbly because the screws and threaded adjusters were small and cheaply made. The one I used was probably from about 1990, I can't speak for current offerings. Of course the 1172 has no tilt adjustment at all so you have to weigh that consideration. I haven't tried rigging up wedges to cut an angled tenon on the 1172, sounds possible but I haven't had the need. The way the 1172 is designed, a thin side board and sacrificial backer is screwed in place, and so an angled side board could be made for cutting angled tenons - a good solution for a production situation, tedious for a single tenon. On the whole I like the 1172 as a production tool because it is so rock solid I don't have to worry about it losing adjustment. Of course I got lucky and walked into mine for $50. If I had had to come up with $300 for it I probably never would have tried it.

Bob Vaughan
09-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Like John, I've owned and used both over the years. My conclusions are the same as would be most people that have used both jigs. My comment is that what performance you get for the money, the newer crop of cheapies seem overpriced. A disposable wooden jig would work as well.

Kevin Perez
09-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I've used wooden jigs, and think I will hold out for an 1172 that I can find below market price.

Carroll Courtney
09-08-2016, 5:06 PM
There is 1172 right now FS on OWWM but hurry----Carroll

Kevin Perez
09-08-2016, 5:53 PM
There is 1172 right now FS on OWWM but hurry----Carroll

Thanks! Email sent...