PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw Weld problems

Mark Ward
09-08-2016, 6:20 AM
Hi guys,
I constantly have problems with the Weld option in Coreldraw (some random times I get it to do what I want but more often than not I don't).
Anyway, in trhe example image attached I have a circle and outline of some text (image 1). When I weld them together the text dissapears (image 2) other than the bit that sticks over the circle edge, however I want it so that the weld keeps the text there all joined up with the circle. I've tried converting the text to curves and various other things but still have problems.
Any help (this is probably going to be one of those stupidly basic things to sort *I hope*).

Ivan Shuliak
09-08-2016, 7:09 AM
You can't just weld a line and an area (text).
You've got either to make the circle an area first andthen weld them together. Number (2)
Or you can do "back minus front" - number 3

Mike Null
09-08-2016, 7:18 AM
If I understand what you want to do I would first convert the text to curves, then break it apart, then weld it. Then I would place it in the circle trying the various weld options until you find what you want.

The other option you might explore is using the knife tool.

Bill Reibelt
09-08-2016, 7:46 AM
I have found that there is no way to weld three vectors tha way you wish to. I cut and join the outer lines and then group the whole drawing to keep the centre areas to the outer vector.343710

Gary Hair
09-08-2016, 9:51 AM
I've never had much luck with weld/front minus back/back minus front/etc. What I would do is use Smart Fill instead. A few clicks and you have exactly what you want.

Hi guys,
I constantly have problems with the Weld option in Coreldraw (some random times I get it to do what I want but more often than not I don't).
Anyway, in trhe example image attached I have a circle and outline of some text (image 1). When I weld them together the text dissapears (image 2) other than the bit that sticks over the circle edge, however I want it so that the weld keeps the text there all joined up with the circle. I've tried converting the text to curves and various other things but still have problems.
Any help (this is probably going to be one of those stupidly basic things to sort *I hope*).

Chris J Anderson
09-08-2016, 7:45 PM
1. Convert text to curves and set to hairline outline and no fill.
2. Copy text to clipboard.
3. Weld the lot together leaving just the circle with the bit sticking out.
4. Paste the text back in again.
5. Smartfill the area around the text then drag it to one side.

Doing this from my head. Will.test in a while and confirm.

Bert Kemp
09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Convert to curves and use virtual delete tool 343746:D343747

Robert Tepper
09-09-2016, 12:50 AM
There are several you tube videos that you might want to watch. Weld is confusing but it does work well, just takes a little practice.

Good luck.

Robert

Bert Kemp
09-10-2016, 2:28 PM
Just wondering if any of this has helped the OP as he hasn't chimed in:confused:

Ian Stewart-Koster
09-27-2016, 8:57 AM
I have a different take on the solution:
Type and kern the text, then use the weld option in the dropdown menu (below arrange), instead of the weld toolbar.
You don't have to convert it to curves first that way.
Select the welded text, and then the circle, and type Ctrl-L or make compound/Link.
That's all.

The background minus foreground and vice versa is very useful too - I use it frequently.

James Rambo
10-01-2016, 5:54 PM
no fill of letters hairline outline. convert to curves, separate. convert circle to curves. weld letters. intersect letters to circle.

Bert Kemp
10-01-2016, 6:15 PM
almost a month old thread now and the OP has not chimed in at all. Does get frustrating answering peoples questions not knowing if we halp them at all. Sometimes I wonder.

Gary Hair
10-01-2016, 6:32 PM
almost a month old thread now and the OP has not chimed in at all. Does get frustrating answering peoples questions not knowing if we halp them at all. Sometimes I wonder.

Do you keep a database or a spreadsheet to track posts vs replies? Just curious...

Bert Kemp
10-01-2016, 10:23 PM
why would I need a data base theres only 11 post and its pretty easy to see the OP hasn't been here.Its nice when the the OP comes back and tells us how he made out, so we know were not wasting time helping someone who doesn't care.

Tony Lenkic
10-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Bert,

You have a point. It does not take much to report back on success or otherwise.

Martin Boekers
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM
One of the best tools in Corel is the Virtual Segment Delete Tool. It has saved me a lot of time and headaches.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6pkvhsoFhk