PDA

View Full Version : IRS Left Message...I'm Headed to Prison

Rich Riddle
09-07-2016, 6:50 PM
Well the IRS left an automated message indicating I am going to prison unless I call back their number with a credit card number and authorize a payment for a "substantial sum" in good faith of paying down my debt to society. Nice knowing you folks.

David T gray
09-07-2016, 6:52 PM
better go get those itune gift cards and load them up i hear that's what the irs takes these days.

Bruce Page
09-07-2016, 6:53 PM
We're going to miss ya!

Garth Almgren
09-07-2016, 6:56 PM
As Nelson Muntz would say:

Lee Schierer
09-07-2016, 7:10 PM
I've had 3 or 4 of those calls, so I guess I will be in there for a long time when they come to get me.

Rich Riddle
09-07-2016, 7:11 PM
I've had 3 or 4 of those calls, so I guess I will be in there for a long time when they come to get me.Lee, why don't we room in adjoining cells? We can try to get assigned to the shop. I hear they pay about a dollar a day. That's about a dollar a day more than I earn in the shop and they supply all the materials.

Greg R Bradley
09-07-2016, 8:12 PM
Me too, im running about 2 a week.

Rich Riddle
09-07-2016, 8:15 PM
It looks like we have the beginning of a SMC wing, tier, or whatever you call it in prison.

Michael Dye
09-07-2016, 8:34 PM
Not to worry, fellas. I got a notice in the mail today that I am one of the finalists and am almost certain to win 10 million dollars. Once you guys get attorneys, let me know and I'll take care of the fees and bail. God, I love America.

Greg R Bradley
09-07-2016, 8:49 PM
Forget the IRS, one of my businesses is getting 2+ calls per day saying that our credit card merchant account is in default and they need to speak with the owner (me) immediately. No vendor will get to me without providing an account number and they aren't an actual vendor so they just keep calling. You would think after nearly 100 phone calls, they would give up but they aren't. It has come to the point where I have told the people that answer the phone to check caller ID and if it is that number just start cussing at them but they just can't bring themselves to do it.
There really should be a system where anyone that receives a phone call should be able to send 1000 volts to the caller at will.

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2016, 9:35 PM
You will have to wait your turn on prison. We are way ahead of you on list. Unfortunately if only one person per month falls for scheme, they get rich. DA's should use RICO Act and go after facilitators (Western Union, Green Dot prepaid cards etc. Wouldn't take but a couple convictions, and fines to stop the facilitators from handling funds. Remember facilitators are taking a cut, which certainly fits RICO Act, so why would they want it to stop?

Brent Cutshall
09-07-2016, 9:42 PM
That group of slaps to the face calls me all the time, and I don't even have a credit card! I like to play with them. When the call and I pick up, they always ask something like,"You owe an enormous debt to the IRS and if not payed you could face serious consequences" and I'll say "Oh no, how do I fix this?" And they say "I have your account here, if you give me your credit card number we will fix your problem for you" I say "Sure I'll go get it, now where did I put that thing",make sounds like I'm looking, I ask them tons of stupid questions, I'll say "Boy, I'm getting hungry, I'll see if I can't get a snack". Then they start getting mad, "Sir, we have other calls the make, please get your credit card and stop stalling" I say "Credit card! I ain't got no credit card! Now back to food, say do you prefer..." And that's about when I hear the phone hang up. Gee, it's like nobody wants to talk to me.:o I've always wanted to be talking to them on the phone in town or something and see the person I'm talking to, walk up calmly, and plant a foot in their backside.

Matt Day
09-07-2016, 10:07 PM
It looks like we have the beginning of a SMC wing, tier, or whatever you call it in prison.

A cell block.

Funny I know that since I'm apparently the only not going to prison. You guys better smarten up before going in the clink.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
You'll look good in stripes Rich!

Mel Fulks
09-07-2016, 10:31 PM
In prison there is little home maintenance to do .....but well equipped shops! "Date Night " gone....replaced with "conjugal visit". Hey,no wonder the prisons are overcrowded !

Rich Riddle
09-07-2016, 10:33 PM
You'll look good in stripes Rich!I need vertical stripes, not horizontal. I can't be looking fat for date night.

John Terefenko
09-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Well I guess I am going to be joining you guys. I have gotten about 3 calls per day this week. They must really want me. See you all there.

Rich Riddle
09-08-2016, 12:04 AM
At least we have the skill sets needed to add on to the cell block or vastly improve it.

Mike Henderson
09-08-2016, 12:35 AM
Forget the IRS, one of my businesses is getting 2+ calls per day saying that our credit card merchant account is in default and they need to speak with the owner (me) immediately. No vendor will get to me without providing an account number and they aren't an actual vendor so they just keep calling. You would think after nearly 100 phone calls, they would give up but they aren't. It has come to the point where I have told the people that answer the phone to check caller ID and if it is that number just start cussing at them but they just can't bring themselves to do it.
There really should be a system where anyone that receives a phone call should be able to send 1000 volts to the caller at will.
Many (most, all?) phone systems (like ATT or Verizon) allow you to block specific phone numbers. The spam callers spoof the caller ID to get around that. If these guys are using the same phone number, just block them.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
09-08-2016, 5:05 AM
IRS Left Message...I'm Headed to PrisonLucky you!
3 squares a day, free medical care, chance to make new and interesting friends!!!

Sure beats the heck out of assisted care! :D :D..

(& sadly, I'm only half joking here,,,)

Brent Cutshall
09-08-2016, 6:16 AM
Guess we all need to throw our skills at stonework instead of wood since there's plenty of stone in there! Dern it, can't plane stone, why prison WHY!

Robert Delhommer Sr
09-08-2016, 6:17 AM
You will have plenty of company, lot of people get those messages.

Larry Frank
09-08-2016, 7:10 AM
How do companies/people get away with these scams...are they all off shore? It would seem to be not too hard to follow the money.

Frederick Skelly
09-08-2016, 7:43 AM
Sorry to hear it Rich. Can I have your tools? :D

Rich Riddle
09-08-2016, 8:23 AM
Fred, you'd need to bring a moving van. Plus I am keeping all the files and hacksaws.

Bill McNiel
09-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Well the IRS left an automated message indicating I am going to prison unless I call back their number with a credit card number and authorize a payment for a "substantial sum" in good faith of paying down my debt to society. Nice knowing you folks.

Rich,
I find it difficult to believe that it is the IRS that is after you, I can easily understand the CIA or FBI wanting to know why you are collecting so much data on America's Woodworkers. Rarely does a day pass when you haven't started yet another "Poll" regarding our tools, shops, work habits, thoughts, etc. Inquiring minds want to know exactly what you are doing with all the intel?
Hold on.....it just occured to me that you might work for one of the "intelligence gathering" agencies. Fess up brother man, what's the story?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2016, 12:02 PM
I need vertical stripes, not horizontal. I can't be looking fat for date night.

Date night in prison? Cast that thought from my brain!

Rich Riddle
09-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Rich,
I find it difficult to believe that it is the IRS that is after you, I can easily understand the CIA or FBI wanting to know why you are collecting so much data on America's Woodworkers. Rarely does a day pass when you haven't started yet another "Poll" regarding our tools, shops, work habits, thoughts, etc. Inquiring minds want to know exactly what you are doing with all the intel?
Hold on.....it just occurred to me that you might work for one of the "intelligence gathering" agencies. Fess up brother man, what's the story?If there is intelligence in woodworking, it doesn't belong to me. There are many smart folks using SMC though. Decades ago, I researched intelligence (IQ) and published on it; I'm a licensed psychologist.

Rick Potter
09-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Come on people!

Get smart. No prison for me. I paid the debt in true woodworker style........wooden nickels.

Tom Stenzel
09-08-2016, 2:58 PM
The reason the IRS is after all you guys is that you didn't pay taxes on the money those nice Nigerian bankers gave you. You know, the messages that there's 2 MILLION BRITISH POUNDS STERLING that no one seems to want. Just give them your bank account number and they'll fix you up and good.

When I get my loot I just might be able to afford real wood. And buy a book on the life of Houdini in case I'm in the lockup with youse guys.

-Tom

Jerome Stanek
09-08-2016, 4:09 PM
All I know is the Magistrate Judge is after me also. I think I will send someone to pick up the papers and have them ship it to me

Jim Koepke
09-08-2016, 7:37 PM
Something in the news recently about a guy with a bad marriage so he robbed a bank so he could go to jail to get away from his wife.

We keep getting calls about how we have won a free cruise. After my wife hanged up on one this morning, she came and told me about it. Then it hit me, if these were legitimate we could try and string a year's worth of them together and have free housing and food for a year or two.

What ever happened to the National Do Not Call Registry? I guess they are there in name only due to cut backs or something.

jtk

Rich Riddle
09-08-2016, 7:58 PM
The folks who try to scam you don't follow the mandates of the Do Not Call List.....go figure.

Jim Koepke
09-09-2016, 1:34 AM
The folks who try to scam you don't follow the mandates of the Do Not Call List.....go figure.

It is an easy way to dismiss callers. Before they can get anything started I tell them, "I do not do business with criminals." If they tell me they are not a criminal, they are informed they are committing a criminal act by calling me. If they do not hang up, I do.

jtk

Rich Engelhardt
09-09-2016, 4:13 AM
What ever happened to the National Do Not Call Registry? I guess they are there in name only due to cut backs or something.If you "request" a call, then it's ok.

You can "request" a call in any manner of ways that you don't even know you are requesting one.

I recently "opened a membership account" with Silver Sneakers. Literally within seconds the Medicare Supplement insurance calls started and we've been getting between two and ten calls a day.
I emailed Silver Sneakers about it, but, since they never even acknowledged the email with even a form letter reply, I guess they know what they did and just don't care.

I see a lot of this with online - supposed freebies --, where they offer you something for free if you fill out a form with name/address/email and phone. There's usually some place to check to see the fine print where it explains that by checking the box to agree to their terms, you agree to accept phone solicitations.
I'm always suspicious of those agreements and cancel out before hitting - submit-.

I didn't see any such warning on the Silver Sneakers site though. or maybe my guard was down and I missed it.

Curt Harms
09-09-2016, 8:01 AM

At least in some cases the calls originate overseas where Do Not Call lists have no authority. If a web site insists on a phone # and don't have a good reason for needing it, I give them a number I know to be not connected.

Jerome Stanek
09-09-2016, 8:37 AM
If you need to put in a phone number put in the one the IRS scam wants you to call back on

Rich Engelhardt
09-09-2016, 8:55 AM
Join DateSep 2009LocationMedina OhioPosts2,551

If you need to put in a phone number put in the one the IRS scam wants you to call back on

LOL! Sometimes a "like" button would be appropriate here on SMC ;).
Join DateSep 2009LocationMedina OhioPosts2,551

Roger Feeley
09-09-2016, 4:02 PM
We've been getting three or four calls a day from these guys. So help me, if I ever get a few minutes with a politician, I will tell them that a sure fire way to get their face on Rushmore is to put a stop to those robocalls.

My personal solution is to make all numbers 900 numbers. It costs $0.001 to make a call to anyone. That wouldn't bother you and me but it would kill the robocaller who depends on millions of calls to find one sucker. if no billing data is supplied then the call can't go through.