PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Brick and Mortar stores

Mike Null
09-07-2016, 3:43 PM
It seems like every time I want to support my local stores--Best Buy and Office Depot they don't have what I want in stock and they want to order it for me. I know I have to pay tax on local purchases whether the store has the item or not. They are really forcing me to buy off the internet and if I do that I'll buy from a no tax, no shipping place. The latest items I'm trying to buy are a Windows 7 Pro OS and a Samsung SSD totalling better than $200.

Jim Becker
09-07-2016, 3:54 PM
Those are items that may not be common on some retail store shelves, particularly the OS which Microsoft isn't pushing anymore. Win7 will likely come out of "leftover stock". Honestly, for computer components, I generally buy from Amazon and OWC and source larger things like monitors and wireless APs from either Amazon or B&H Photo.

But I do understand your point about wanting to support local businesses. At least when the store orders for you (or you order online for in-store pickup) you most often do not need to pay for shipping...

Bruce Page
09-07-2016, 5:19 PM
I try to support local business as much as possible but more often than not they don't have what I'm looking for or their prices are sky high.
Sounds silly but UPS just delivered a 6 year supply of tooth brushes of a style I couldn't find locally anymore. A few clicks on Amazon and they're here in a couple of days.

Wayne Lomman
09-07-2016, 5:35 PM
I support local stores because that way there is someone who has to look you in the eye and say this is a good product. Tasmania has always been a place where you wait for stuff - as an island with less than half a million people spread all over that's just life. Just take it easy and wait the few days or whatever. I prefer a casual stroll towards the grim reaper, not a rush and hurry. Cheers!

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-07-2016, 6:42 PM
I agree with Jim. I needed to buy Windows 7 pro not long ago and knowing Microsoft is no longer pushing that product, I searched online. There was no point looking for it locally.

Rich Riddle
09-07-2016, 6:51 PM
I try to support local family-owned stores, not national chain stores. It's easier to find things online than visit a national chain store for many things.

Roger Feeley
09-08-2016, 4:16 PM
I went to my local MicroCenter for some computer memory for my 7 year old Dell Precision 690. They guy told me that MC doesn't carry that memory type anymore but he helped me formulate a search key for Amazon so I could be sure I got the right stuff. Microcenter didn't get my business that day but they got some great karma. Microcenter was my goto store back in Kansas and will continue to be here in northern Virginia.

Dave Kelley
09-08-2016, 4:41 PM
I'm with Rich. National chain...I'll just order from my Prime account. I do however try and buy my woodworking stuff from my local Woodcraft. I know it's a franchise so I want them to stick around awhile. Also, I have noticed Home Depot is generally cheaper than Amazon so I figure out if I need to pay tax on that particular item on Amazon and if so I usually get a better deal at Home Depot, or at least I can just run and pick it up. Most Home Depot purchases I want to see in my hand first anyway to be sure it's the right item/size.

Art Mann
09-08-2016, 4:56 PM
The pricing structure of Home Depots where I live makes it easy to save 10 or 20 percent on many items at Amazon without paying any tax or shipping charges. HD must not have uniform pricing nationwide. You do have to know what you are buying since there is no opportunity for prior inspection. On the other hand, Amazon will take back merchandise under conditions that a local store might find unreasonable.

Erik Loza
09-08-2016, 5:02 PM
We try to support brick and mortar, especially brick and mortar, whenever possible and even if it means paying a little more.

However, the other day, we went into a local outdoor gear place for a new set of adventure sandals for my wife. Specifically for the reason that we could try them on, get some personalized service, support local business, etc. The sales associate who helped us was a real piece of work and to make the story short, I ended up just saying, "Let's figure out what size you need and buy them on Amazon", which we did. So, there is a line at which I will go to support local brick and mortar places.

Erik

Pat Barry
09-08-2016, 9:09 PM
I don't consider Best Buy or Office Depot or Home Depot or Menards or Walmart or Costco etcetc to be local stores. They are huge nationwide chains and I could care less if they are competitive or not. If one closes another one or two open in their place.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2016, 9:27 PM
The national chains do support the local economies through wages paid to local employees. Some national chain stores are actually owned by locals through franchising. National chains with brick and mortar stores in you local area pay local and state taxes like locally owned businesses.

I try to support local brick and mortar stores as much as possible but sometimes they make it really difficult with high prices, lack of inventory or lack of variety, poor service or lack of amenities like parking.

Matt Meiser
09-08-2016, 9:59 PM
Bet Microcenter in Brentwood has both in stock at a good price.

We order a lot of stuff on Amazon because its not stocked locally. I also order a good bit because with Prime I can just order when I think of it and it shows up 2 days later. No hassle dealing with the umpteen traffic lights between home and the big box strip here (which may or may not have it anyway since we only have the basics.)

Kev Williams
09-09-2016, 1:41 AM
One big reason I buy online:

Ink for my Canon Printer from Office Depot, and note my printer has a second small black inkwell
that's not included, plus add 6.85% sales tax:

Ink from Amazon, 2nd black inkwell IS included, no shipping, no sales tax,
the price isn't for each inkwell, it's for ALL FIFTEEN inkwells, 3 each of all 5 colors...

I hated using this printer till I found this ink-- you can see how much is in them, they DO last longer,
and other than one (out of a dozen so far) dripped a bit when I opened it, NO issues. My photos
look exactly as good as they did with the expensive stuff. I use the bageezuz out of this printer now!

Same for lots of stuff, like $28 for a 4' HDMI cable at Best Buy, a 50' HDMI cable is $14 on ebay-- and it works.

My biggest complaint with local stores is the same as Mikes-- I've been into every Lowes and HD in my area
the past few weeks, looking for a 5" duct pipe with a 4" "y"-- they all have a price tag for them,
and a place on the shelf for them, but they never HAVE them... frustrating...

Brian Elfert
09-09-2016, 4:12 AM

Ink for my Canon Printer from Office Depot, and note my printer has a second small black inkwell

This seems like comparing apples to oranges. Generic ink is going to be cheaper in almost all cases. Amazon is not always cheaper when you compare the exact same items although they can beat just about any price at Office Depot.

william watts
09-09-2016, 1:30 PM
Out of state company's that don't charge tax have unfair advantage over local/in state business's that must charge tax. Buying local and paying your sales taxes supports government operations, roads, schools, law enforcement, etc. I don't buy out of state to avoid sales tax, but sometimes it's the only option.

Jim Becker
09-09-2016, 3:18 PM
Out of state company's that don't charge tax have unfair advantage over local/in state business's that must charge tax. Buying local and paying your sales taxes supports government operations, roads, schools, law enforcement, etc. I don't buy out of state to avoid sales tax, but sometimes it's the only option.
Buying out of state from a firm that doesn't collect your state's sales tax doesn't mean you don't owe the tax. You still do. But most folks don't claim the transaction and pay it at tax time...

william watts
09-09-2016, 5:50 PM
Buying out of state from a firm that doesn't collect your state's sales tax doesn't mean you don't owe the tax. You still do. But most folks don't claim the transaction and pay it at tax time...

Jim. I did not know there is a process for paying sales taxes not charged from out of state company's and I not surprised it's overlooked by most people.

I stated in my previous post that business's must collect sales tax. Thatst's wrong, here in California they must pay sales tax.

Kev Williams
09-09-2016, 11:58 PM
In states with sales taxes (maybe not all), the businesses must collect the sales tax from in-state sales and pay it to the state once a year. But no tax is collected from out of state sales.

But at tax time, at least in Utah, you're supposed to claim all out of state purchases on your state tax return in order to pay the "use tax".

And believe you me, unlike everyone else, I claim every single sale...
http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/bigrotf.gif

Gerry Grzadzinski
09-10-2016, 7:00 AM
Jim. I did not know there is a process for paying sales taxes not charged from out of state company's and I not surprised it's overlooked by most people.

It's a line on your tax form.

Nicholas Lawrence
09-10-2016, 8:55 AM
I just replaced the motor on my dryer. The local parts places had the replacement motor for $135. Buying online from Walmart the motor (same motor, same manufacturer) plus a new blower fan (I figured there was a good chance I would break the old one getting it off the motor, which turned out to be correct) was $75 shipped.

I like to deal local, but I don't like it enough to pay double.

My other observation would be that appliance parts used to be pretty much my only reason to go to Sears anymore. With Walmart beating them in that department I am pretty sure I won't be buying Sears stock anytime soon.

Jim Becker
09-10-2016, 9:59 AM
It's a line on your tax form.
The process to pay "unclaimed" sales/use tax varies by state. Here in PA, it's a section of the annual PA State income tax return.

Matt Meiser
09-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Michigan does it on your tax return too. You can either itemize or pay an estimated amount based on your income as long as you don't have any single huge purchases.

Kev Williams
09-10-2016, 12:10 PM

This seems like comparing apples to oranges. Generic ink is going to be cheaper in almost all cases. Amazon is not always cheaper when you compare the exact same items although they can beat just about any price at Office Depot.
FWIW most of my online buys are thru Ebay... ;)

Yes generic ink is cheaper, but Ink is ink, I don't care if it's generic. As to the topic at hand, buying at local stores vs online stores, I'd be hard pressed to find a drive-to store that would sell me 15 EMPTY IC-chipped ink cartridges for less than $7 let alone filled ones ready to use, generic or otherwise. And if I insisted on 'name brand' ink, I would never find the best price at a drive-to store. True, Amazon isn't always cheapest, it's just that Amazon is where I found this ink, I liked the product (and Amazon's policies if I didn't) so that's where I'll keep buying them. We also buy most of our vitamins and other such supplements thru Amazon. Those prices may not be the absolute lowest online but I like being able to just click the "buy again" button and have my shopping all done. :)

Beats waiting 20 minutes for the couple in front of you to have their debit cards AND check refused to pay for the $300 worth of stuff they rung up...

paul cottingham
09-10-2016, 3:13 PM
We are quite poor, and always buy local. I ran a business in this town for 20 years, and grew up on a farm that sold local produce, (and my father ran a dairy coop) so I always support local, as I have never forgotten who buttered our bread. If we can't find it locally, we don't need it, or can't "afford" it. The one exception is our daughters school clothes as she needs uniforms, and we can only get them from England. For crying out loud.

As a result, Walmart is a swear word in our house. I've never even set foot in one.

This is is a very personal belief. I try very hard not to poke others in the eye if they don't agree with me over it.

Jon Nuckles
09-10-2016, 7:00 PM
This thread raises a pet peeve of mine. Why do people think it is ok to not pay sales/use taxes or to otherwise cheat on their taxes? No one would boast of stealing from their neighbors, but the effect is the same. Cheaters don't pay their share so honest people pay more. Rant over.

Mike Null
09-11-2016, 8:49 AM
I am posting a link to the SBA site which is the tax collection and payment policy that I believe coincides with the laws in Missouri. I collect taxes and pay them quarterly using the state form. Some things such as out of state sales, sales involving a product to be used in the manufacture of goods, tax exempt organizations are exempt here in MO. I list those sales, deducting them from my total tax liability and file the tax accordingly.

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/sales-tax-101-small-business-owners-and-online-retailers

Jon Nuckles
09-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Mike, please know that my comment was not directed at you. I meant people who buy over the internet and don't pay the use tax. I understand that most retailers are not required to collect sales tax on out of state sales.

Mike Null
09-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Jon
I was not offended at all. Just posting some more info. In my view the states have a responsiblity to inform their citizens relative to their tax laws. I don't feel a responsibility to collect or pay a tax in and for another state unless my own Dept. of Revenue advises me to do so.

Brian Elfert
09-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Jon
I was not offended at all. Just posting some more info. In my view the states have a responsiblity to inform their citizens relative to their tax laws. I don't feel a responsibility to collect or pay a tax in and for another state unless my own Dept. of Revenue advises me to do so.

I'm confused here. If you are a merchant you are only obligated to collect sales tax and pay in states in which you have a physical presence. If you are a consumer and buy something in another state that wasn't taxed you are obligated to pay use tax to your own state.

Many states would like Congress to force all businesses to collect sales tax for mail, phone, or Internet orders, but that hasn't happened yet.