PDA

View Full Version : Suitable for framing?

Dennis McCullen
09-06-2016, 6:50 AM
Picked this saw up at a flea market on Saturday because it needed rescuing and I'm a sucker for a tool that needs rescuing. I have a few panel saws that I'm fond of, especially when I need a quick cut or two on an outdoor project. Although rusty and dirty, the saw seemed to still have good teeth. After some de-rusting and sharpening, it cuts very well. It is a Craftsman branded saw and I'd like to know who made it if anyone delves that deep. The saw has a 5" wide blade with 4" exposed under the steel back. It is stiff and weighty at 25-1/4" long. The handle looks to be white oak and I believe it probably came with a miter box when new. What puzzles me most is that the saw has 10 tpi and a fairly aggressive crosscut set, so cuts are a little ragged compared to the finer cuts we see from higher tpi count blades. Were carpenters simply OK with rougher cuts that they had to do more to clean up? Perhaps this was never intended for fine furniture making?
As my title says, this saw would be a great tool for cutting 2x2s and 2x4s in soft wood for framing a project. I intend to build a wooden miter box to help me guide that stiff heavy blade. I'm sure the saw is capable of highly accurate cuts, it's just the quality of cut that has me a little puzzled. Comments please.

Jim Koepke
09-06-2016, 12:57 PM
What puzzles me most is that the saw has 10 tpi and a fairly aggressive crosscut set

It might be an inexperienced owner thought increasing the set was the equivalent of sharpening.

jtk

Phil Mueller
09-06-2016, 2:59 PM
Dennis, appears to be a good user. Perhaps it was filed for "rougher" work vs finish molding, but you could certainly tone it down by filing and resharpening. You may want to look for an old miter box at garage sales or auction site. Set up right, they are pretty darn accurate.