PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing 9" Falcon Smooth Plane

Joe Hollis
09-05-2016, 5:48 PM
Hello all.

Someone at work gave me a Falcon hand plane, and after stripping it down and starting the refurbishing process, the plane has decided not to cooperate. I have taken this effrontery as a challenge, and now intend to make this into a really nice-ish hand plane (if I can).

Here is what I have done so far:

After about 90 minutes of using 100/120 grit wet/dry paper on my surface plate, there is still a notable 'falling off' at both the front and back ends of the plane. I don't own a belt sander, so elbow grease is all I can use. It is flat ahead of the mouth for 3/4" or so, and for about 2-1/2" behind the mouth, then it tapers off gradually towards the heel to where it's a good .020.+" low I would say. Is this good enough? I don't want my pride to cost me the equivalent in wet/dry paper of a new Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen (in my dreams) equivalent trying to make it perfect.

Both the front knob and the handle have seen better days. I think I can glue up the crack in the handle, and perhaps save the knob. Does anyone know if the L/V or Lie-Nielsen wooden parts would fit these Falcon planes? I don't have a lathe, and don't have the skills to make replacement.

The plane iron is serviceable, and I am working on sharpening it.

I know it will never be a premium plane - even if the L-V or L-N replacement blades and caps fit it, which they probably don't, but I'd like to see what I can do to make this plane as good as it can get.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Joe

Mike Brady
09-05-2016, 8:04 PM
I don't know Falcon as a brand, but while you may gain experience from trying to make something of this plane, I have doubts that it will end happily. You will learn about the anatomy of the plane and how the parts fit together. If its not engineered well, you may not ever meet that "aha" moment, no matter how hard you work on it. None of this is a reflection on you or your hard work. Get yourself an old Stanley.

Stewie Simpson
09-05-2016, 8:11 PM
http://www.htpaa.org.au/hand-tools/australian-tools-makers/australian-makers/pope-tools

http://thevillagewoodworker.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/carter-australia-hand-planes-small.html

http://toolemera.com/manpdf/Falcon%20Planes.pdf

steven c newman
09-05-2016, 8:28 PM
Falcon was a brand out of "Down-under" correct? Otherwise the same as a Stanley.

One: Is the plane back together? If not do so. Retract the iron so it does NOT potrude below the mouth opening. Go out, and get a 50 grit belt, for a belt sander...just the belt. Does not matter how long, as it does in how wide the belt is. Have everything on the plane cranked down like you would be using it. Grasp the front normally, but grasp the rear as low as you can. Start planing away on the belt. The belt should be stretched as tight as you can get it. You also need to cut the belt near the splice...jjust cut the splice out. Glue or fasten the belt flat, and tight . A spot of liquid soap helps a bit....

With a sharpie ( black, blue, red, doesn't matter) mark a series of lines across the sole of the plane. Sand until the lines are gone. Does not need to be 100% gone, just at the toe (front) the area around the mouth ( where you already are) and back at the heel. These three areas need to be co-planar with each other. A bit of a hollow elsewhere is not a biggie.

Froggie time: Set the frog in the vise..bottoms up. Have a good square handy. Take a good file, and file across the seat( where the bolts come through) until it is flat, and square to the sides, and that step in the frog. You can also treat the area where the far end of the frog contact the area right behind the mouth. It needs to be a match for the first area you just filed.

Need a good thin steel ruler, stick, whatever. When you re-install the frog in the base, you want the frog to line up with that little ramp right behind the mouth opening. ONE continuous line from opening to the top of the frog. It gives the iron support, and reduces chatter. While you have the file and the vise handy....flip the frog over, and clamp in the vise.....gingerly. You can then file the face of the frog nice and flat.

Back of the iron nice and flat? Good. Edge of the iron square to the sides of the iron? good....now, place the chipbreaker onto the flat spot on the back of the iron, hold both up to a bright light. You are looking for any gaps between the two. You want a nice knife edge on the chipbreaker where it meets the iron. and, polish the curved top. Rough spots there will snag a shaving.

I think that will do for the day... any other questions?

Stewie Simpson
09-05-2016, 8:36 PM
In many ways, the design of the Falcon Pope was superior to that of the Stanley Plane.

Trevor Goodwin
09-05-2016, 9:05 PM
I know these planes! One of my favourite brands. Were made in Australia and at some point bought out by Pope. Yes the same mob that do garden fittings. I can confirm that Stanley irons and chipbreakers will fit, they bought their mold patterns from Stanley.

The good: the bodies are made very well and if they still have the milling marks from the factory, should be flat. The paint or japanning holds up really well and I'm yet to find one that needed repainting. I find the blades to be better than the vintage Stanley irons I have, holds an edge longer. The handles are usually made from Jarrah, something unique to these planes.

The bad: the frogs can be rubbish. They usually need work because they aren't flat. The last one I refurbed needed to be bashed straight on an anvil because it was banana shaped. I go as far as removing the lateral and depth adjuster, putting a new rivet in when I'm done. You will also be lucky to get a frog that still has half its paint, it's nothing like the stuff on the bed.

Joe Hollis
09-05-2016, 10:57 PM
Thanks very much for the advice Steven.:)

I did as you suggested with the frog, which now seats in the plane body nicely, as does the plane iron against the frog's flat, smooth new mating surface. I'm on holidays, so off to L-V tomorrow to get a sanding belt and have a go at taking the crown out of the sole. If L-V has a plane iron and cap iron that fit this plan, I MAY cough up for them; that's probably around $65.00 or so... I still have to deal with the two handles, so perhaps I should address those first and see how it cuts before I spend more money on it. I looked at the links Stewie sent me (thanks for those), and it looks like this little plane could be 60+years old.

Joe