PDA

View Full Version : EMF Detector

Raymond Fries
09-05-2016, 3:26 PM
Anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a good one?

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2016, 3:44 PM
EMF detectors, good ones, are terribly expensive, at least the ones professionals use. They are also very difficult to interpret correctly. In certain cases prior to selling and installing MRIs, we were required to have a study done. The very large corporation I worked for hired it out to an engineering company who specialized in providing those services. It was cheaper and more accurate.

What are your concerns and what are you trying to measure?

Alan Rutherford
09-06-2016, 9:41 AM
I have one of these http://www.trifield.com/content/trifield-meter/ (Trifield 100XE, $100 or so if you shop around). It will easily detect a hot 120 vac line a foot or two away through a wall. It reads my microwave running at 6-10 feet. I have no professional use for it but it's more than adequate for my homeowner/handyman/electronics tinkerer purposes. I just discovered that my magnifying desk lamp with an LED bulb in a standard light socket pegs the meter on the 0-3 magnetic scale at the distance at which I use the magnifier - a bit unsettling.

If all you want to do is detect live wires, I have one of those cheap pen-type things that cost a lot less but it's barely able to work though a wall. I don't know if newer ones are better.

Raymond Fries
09-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Ken,

Looking to find any sources of low level energy like microwave, wifi, cell phone, possibly targeted energy device, etc. We have a problem as the heart monitors quit working on our treadmill and exercise bike. The vendor says it is interference. My wife has a nice bluetooth headset for the TV. She noticed that there is a buzz in the headset when standing close to the operating microwave. She has to walk to the other side of the room before it goes away. Hmmm kinda scary.

Alan,

I found a link to the review for that one and it looked pretty good to me.

Hopefully we can track down the source.

Thanks

Alan Rutherford
09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm kinda sorry you brought this up. I walked around the house and found many spots that show significant readings on one scale or another. Every lamp with an LED bulb shows a significant reading on the "Electric" scale whether the lamp is on or off. If you touch the lamp the reading goes to zero. Wall-wart power supplies radiate. If you get one of these things you'll never want to stand close to a microwave again. Eyeballs are especially vulnerable - don't watch the food cook.

I hope you find your problem. Radiated energy decreases with the cube of the distance from the source. Unless it's a major, pervasive source of interference you shouldn''t have to move the treadmill or the source far to see a difference.

Michael Weber
09-08-2016, 9:28 AM
Just get a hearing aid with a telecoil:o