PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop attachment ideas for narrow table

Kevin Perez
09-05-2016, 9:33 AM
I am making a cherry nightstand with a 15" wide by 21" deep top, with the grain running the long way (I have my reasons...). Obviously, the wood movement will be across the tabletop's 15" dimension. I was thinking that I could use pocket screws down the sides with no provision for movement, since the apron rails and the top are both cherry and the grain is oriented the same way. Then, since the front and rear aprons are quite narrow (given the thickness of the legs and the top's overhang), it seems that a single pocket screw at the center point of the top's width would be sufficient to hold it down and would not need to account for movement (since there is only on point of attachment across the width). Am I missing something, or should this be free from cracking over the ages? Thanks!

Kevin

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Let me make sure I understand... The top's grain runs front-to-back. Underneath the top there are side rails whose grain also runs front-to-back. Also, I think, there are rails at the front and the back whose grain runs side to side, right? If so, there's your cross-grain joint: between the top and the front and back rails.

Kevin Perez
09-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Correct, the cross grain joint is the short, side-to-side dimension.

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Correct, the cross grain joint is the short, side-to-side dimension.

Okay, so you have the front and back rails trying to hold the width of the casework constant, and you have the top trying to expand and contract against that. I'd build the table with some way to accommodate that expansion. For instance you could use figure-8 clips or tabletop clips at the front and the back.

Bill Dufour
09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Use the pocket screws but make the pockets and the hole a little big. Leave the screws a little loose so it can all move a bit.
Bil lD.

Kevin Perez
09-21-2016, 6:58 AM
Thanks, Bill!