PDA

View Full Version : RIP Freddie Mercury

Wayne Lomman
09-05-2016, 1:57 AM
Freddie would have turned 70 today. Best vocal range in rock history. Try listening to tribute versions of Bohemian Rhapsody and note how many singers are needed to recreate something close to the original.

On the subject of Queen, did you know that Brian May had no money for a guitar when they started out so his Dad cut up an old mantle piece in the back shed and made him one. 50 years on, Brian still plays that guitar as his regular instrument of choice. Cheers

Gerry Grzadzinski
09-05-2016, 8:44 AM
Phenomenal singer, and great band.

Rich Riddle
09-05-2016, 9:49 AM
I believe someone indicated he had a deeper range than almost any singer. He is missed.

David Linnabary
09-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Now why did I think this post would not have any woodworking content. Nice.

David

Jim Becker
09-05-2016, 3:40 PM
Yea, phenomenal musician...very much missed. In recent years, only Adam Lambert has been able to come close on the Queen tour to the original "sound"...

Pat Barry
09-05-2016, 6:43 PM
Freddie was the best. RIP

Anyone got a picture of Brian's guitar?:cool:

Prashun Patel
09-05-2016, 7:23 PM
+1. Their music (at least early on) was as original as the Beatles.

Wayne Lomman
09-05-2016, 8:44 PM
David, apologies but the bit about Brian's guitar was woodworking content. Cheers

Joel Wesseling
09-05-2016, 9:37 PM
Oh, Freddie is amazing. Very emotional experience listening to singing with His power and emotional expression that is conveyed with complete confidence.

I saw queen at Maple Leaf Gardens in the late 70's. We we're surprised to see that John Deacon was singing the high pitched response lyric Galileo to the first call Galileo that Freddie sings. John also sings other important high parts.. impressive!

Jason Roehl
09-06-2016, 6:33 AM
If memory serves, his vocal range was 5 octaves. Most ordinary people top out at about 2 octaves, and good professional singers might make 3 octaves.

Chris Padilla
09-06-2016, 1:47 PM
http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges

One website's thoughts on octave ranges of some of the greats.

Love Queen and love Freddie!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSSPs-ZtA3I

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2016, 2:04 PM
Did you see where they named an asteroid after him on his birthday?

Chris Padilla
09-06-2016, 2:07 PM
I saw that. Brian May also has one named after him but mostly because he has PhD in astrophysics and contributed to the science of asteroid study. THAT shocked me. Smart guy and phenomenal guitar player.

Wayne Lomman
09-06-2016, 8:03 PM
Brian was also Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh. The beat in We Will Rock You is timed to a universal constant - I can't remember which one. It's a bit obvious that I fall short of both their brains and talent. Cheers

Ole Anderson
09-08-2016, 1:03 PM
Ran across this today, a good listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8QWSW0UbY

Wayne Lomman
09-09-2016, 6:06 AM
That's a good clip, Ole. When a singer can do it a capella and it still sounds great, you know they are really good. Cheers

Speaking of a capella, the Eagles singing Seven Bridges Road is a great example of this.