PDA

View Full Version : Frog Tape

Rich Enders
09-04-2016, 3:52 PM
A couple of members were positive of Frog Tape, so I took the plunge. My experience was not so good.

-No better than the blue on plaster.

-No better than blue on a glass panel.

-A bit more tendency to tear than blue in peal off.

-A 5' by 9' bathroom used up 90% of the $9 roll.

I only paint occasionally so maybe my technique needs work. Anybody else have experience to share?

Jim Becker
09-04-2016, 6:10 PM
I don't bother with tape when painting...I never had good results, so I just learned how to cut in properly with a quality brush. It's takes time and is meticulous work, but in the end it often looks better than taped off, too...no "ridges"...

Rich Riddle
09-04-2016, 8:01 PM
I had a bad roll of frog tape not that long ago but it was the yellow variety, not green. There are some places where it's impossible to free hand and that is where I tend to tape these days. With any tape, you have to push down on the edge you are using. I paint far more often than desired.

Mike Henderson
09-04-2016, 8:07 PM
I don't do a lot of painting but the one time I used green Frog tape, I didn't think it was much better than regular blue tape.

Mike

Rich Enders
09-06-2016, 9:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. The concept of something in the tape, or the adhesive, that sucks the water out of the paint certainly sounds good. Unfortunately it seems more marketing than reality. And as Jim said, the few areas that I cut in do look better.

Matt Day
09-06-2016, 10:19 AM
My first experience with frog tape was bad too. The next time I used it i lightly wet the tape after application and before paint. This sucked the tape down to the wall creating a better bond and my results were much better. This was on textured wallboard from the 60's.

Pat Barry
09-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Somewhere I have seen directions that tell you to first apply a thin coat of paint to seal the edges, then to go back over with a heavy coat of paint after the thin coat has dried a bit. The light coat first is very important. I have done this since I learned of this and get much crisper edges. I heard this regarding the blue 3M tape

Chris Padilla
09-06-2016, 1:38 PM
Frog Tape worked well the few times I've used it. Before Frog Tape, I would use the blue tape but paint flat clear over the edge and then do my normal painting and I always got a crisp edge. Now FT has saved me that step. Be sure to really press the FT in well.

Bill Neely
09-06-2016, 7:07 PM
I like the yellow frog tape when I need a sharp edge, knife it down and wet the edge with a little water and it seals right up. As far as I know, the supposed differences in colors are how long you can leave them up without sticking and/or how well they work with fragile surface materials.