PDA

View Full Version : Making a Handle

Mike Turner
09-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I have a tool someone made for me.The tang from the handle end to the beginning of the cutting tool is 6" long.The width of this piece is 7/8". It is 3/8" thick. I thought about grinding an equal amount off of each side but dont want want to do this.I thought about taking 2 pieces of wood and routing a groove in each piece so that the tool would fit snugly in it but I think this would end up being a bigger handle than I want.Im scratching my head on this and dont have a whole lot of time to put in to this as my schedule is jam packed to say the least...Rather be using the tool...Thanks for any help !!!.

Lee Schierer
09-05-2016, 8:22 AM
I'm guessing that your tool currently doesn't have a handle and you want to make one for it. Can you post a photo of your tool and give an idea of what size handle you would like to end up with?

John K Jordan
09-05-2016, 8:31 AM
I can think of several options. But...

What kind of tool is it?
What kind of forces will be on it?
How long of handle are you considering?
What kind of steel is it made of? Hardened the entire length?

JKJ

Bill McDermott
10-28-2016, 2:32 PM
Mike,

Maybe you can just use two strips of wood, appropriately sized to meet you needs, and epoxy them to the steel. Nothing fancy. Back to work.

For what it is worth, I too am curious as to what this tool is, or does.

Mike Turner
10-30-2016, 6:34 AM
Its one of Robo Hippys Big Ugly. Its a woodturning tool....a big scraper that works great! It took me a bit to get my handle done even with me having seen his video but I have it ready now and love it...Thanks Robo Hippy (Reed Gray) .....If you are a woodturner get yourself one...you will love it!! Sorry for the slow reply but I have been too busy and having trouble getting to my shop a few minutes a day!!